The REDBOOK history

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by biged239, Jun 16, 2011.

1. biged239

biged239 Member

I found this article today. What is interesting is there is a Red Book For Red Books. Thought I would share this with everyone. You might want to check your old Red Books they may be worth something. I know everytime I go to a old book store I am going to my eye open for old coin books.

[FONT=&quot]A Guide Book of United States Coins[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A Guide Book of United States Coins (Red Book)[/FONT][FONT=&quot], by Richard (R. S.) Yeoman, is a pricing guide for United States coin collectors, and is considered one of the most authoritative coin price sources. The book is the longest running coin price guide; the first edition, dated 1947, went on sale November 1946. After the first three editions (dated 1947, 1948, 1949), the Guide Book was not published in 1949; annual publication resumed in 1950 with the 4th edition (dated 1951-1952) and has continued to this day.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Guide Book got its Red Book nickname due to the book's solid red cover.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The "Red Book" lists the retail value of all United States coins from Colonial and pre-federal State Issues to all circulating issues as well as commemorative and modern day Bullion coins, as well as other significant U.S. patterns, private and territorial gold, Hard Times tokens, Confederate issues, Hawaiian tokens and coins, Philippine issues and Alaskan tokens. It also shows Issue Prices and Current Values of Mint sets and proof sets.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In addition to the traditional hardcover edition, new formats have been added through the years:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Softcover (perfect bound) - 1993-1996, 1998, 2003-2006.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Spiralbound softcover - 1997, 1999 to date.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Spiralbound hardcover - 2008 to date.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Large print edition - 8x10, spiralbound softcover - 2010.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Early editions of the "Red Book" are collectible. The first edition has commanded $1,500 or more on the open market.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The 2009 Edition of The Red Book[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The "Red Book" has become so collectible that it has its own "Red Book" - A Guide Book Of The Official Red Book Of United States Coins by Frank J. Colletti, published 2009 by Whitman Publishing

Big Ed
    [/FONT]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

4. biged239

biged239 Member

Wow. Thanks I will have to chase down some of his threads.
    Big Ed

5. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Wow, I had no idea...how very cool.

6. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Not only is he a member here, but I'm sure if you ask nicely you might get a signed copy ;)

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

:)

[How did I miss this thread?]

8. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Oh here goes Franks head again.. : ) ( I Have to tell you though, Frank did do a great job on that book and deserves the accolades that accompany it )

Thumbs up buddy.. Its a pleasure to call you a friend.

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Friend?

Who are you?

Do I know ya?

[well, yeah, I guess so.]
    [FYI: J/K of course to all the rest of you.]

Draft saved Draft deleted