The REAL Story of the Langbord 1933’s

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by V. Kurt Bellman, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Why destroy them? They are historical and in the proper hands: the government’s. And the government should let the rest of us get a look.

Omegaraptor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Hope he was working on contingency. 40 percent of nothing. That’s a good fee for an attorney who cut class the day they talked about possession of stolen property.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Doesn't offend me - it doesn't affect me. It's not really about coins, it's about thieves & the government (I know, that may be redundant), and it is what it is.

I find it useless & a waste of energy to be that concerned over something we cannot influence & which resolve itself (probably to no ones total satisfaction).

That's only my feelings on the subject, & like my wife is so fond of exclaiming "Don't tell me how to feel." :smug: As I've aged, I have developed a much better distinction between what's important & what I can let go:

"my guard stood hard when abstract threats
    Too noble to neglect
    Deceived me into thinking
    I had something to protect.........

Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." - My Back Pages, apologies to Bob Dylan. :happy:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Not the government, Izzy Switt.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

Okay, but please feel assured that the whole case WAS resolved to MY total satisfaction. The Langbord family lost and Midge Rendell (original 3rd circuit decision) revealed herself to be the legal lightweight she always has been.

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
    PlanoSteve likes this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

I challenge ANYBODY here to imagine themselves in the position of the Mint, and tell me they'd act any differently. A couple of generations ago you feel you were robbed, and you're the only people who the thieves' family trusts to authenticate your stolen goods. They send it to you to authenticate it, and then THEY EXPECT YOU TO SEND IT BACK TO THEM!!!! What kind of idiot would do that???

Stealing from an ongoing entity is even stupider than stealing from an ephemeral human person.

Santinidollar likes this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

When this all started, I wanted the family to win. The more I learned, I changed my opinion. Now I just hope that folks will be able to see the coins.

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

I have seen 4 total, and by the time I assume ambient temperature, I fully expect to see at least 13. The nicest one I've seen is the Farouk specimen.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You must've missed the winky.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

And what sort of label is deserved by he who might make up fanciful stories about how a known crook might have "legally" (air quotes again) obtained them? Gimme a "B", gimme a "U", gimme an "R", gimme a "D"...

12. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Excellent Kurt! And I agree, the result is satisfying. And it may be a great case study for a law student. And I understand peoples interest in it just because it is/was a compelling event....

....however, I'm still not interested in seeing those coins or hearing about it further (although I now expect multiple dissections, of a story essentially about criminal activity, from renown publications, in lieu of other numismatic matters).

So, we're good! :happy::hilarious:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

Yes, true. This is the gift that keeps on giving.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Let's leave the political aspects out of all this.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

On THIS issue? Particularly difficult, don't you think? Nearly EVERY commentary on the Langbord case rather DIRECTLY flows from, or immediately veers into, politics.

16. GDJMSP

Well I can make it easy for ya Kurt, I can simply close the thread. Or, you can follow the rules. Your choice.

Insider likes this.
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

Okay. Now... let's see that applied universally, okay? That's my repeated complaint: lack of consistency in application.

atcarroll likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

It is applied consistently and universally. There's a caveat in there though - before that can be done the mods have to be aware of it or see it before they can do anything about it. And, if you or someone else reports something that you or they think crosses the line, the mods have to agree with your opinion that it does cross the line. If they do not agree, they will do nothing.

It's not just you Kurt, you are not picked on, treated differently, or singled out - everybody gets treated exactly the same way. Even if you don't realize it or are not aware of it - I am aware of it.

And unless you read every single post on this forum every single day you also need to realize there is a lot of moderating that goes on that you do not see.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

Ah well then there’s the rub, isn’t it? Some people whine at the drop of a hat, and others don’t. Some people are scrutinized more than others sua sponte by mods without needing a report. To use your word, "awareness" is not evenly distributed.

Now, could I make an effort to be more "outgoing" in reporting things to mods? Yes, I suppose I could, but in my estimation, that would make me part of the problem.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Kurt , you will never be happy until you are on an "everything goes" forum. I keep mentioning the alternate one, partisanlines.com, but they will scream back at you there, so you stay here, which is fine. It is interesting you think you are so interesting, that I can't turn on the computer without saying , I had better check Kurt before I read the rest. Dream on. I read the reported first, and yes you are occasionally on there, but otherwise you have to wait until I get to a thread that you have posted on. Sometimes I agree with your political rants, and sometimes not, but neither are allowed. You are also unaware of the number of reports from others, that I and others deny due to not crossing the line yet. They probably think you are getting a sweetheart deal from the moderators. Your buddy Jim :)

21. GDJMSP

And please be aware Kurt, what he's talking about are posts you make that other members have reported. BUT - those reports are rejected by the moderators because you did nothing wrong - you did not cross the line. And those rejected reports, actually far outnumber the ones where the mods do have to take action.

Draft saved Draft deleted