The Queen of Coinage

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mad Stax, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

On April 21, 1926 the Duke and Duchess of York, soon to be referred to as King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, welcomed Elizabeth Alexandra Mary into the world. Having been born into the royal family must be quite the blessing, but some deal with fame and fortune more graciously than others, and the woman we now know as Queen Elizabeth II has dealt with fame and fortune in as gracious a manner as any Monarch we have seen.
    Her good will, philanthropy, and political skill have gained her adoration all over the world.
    She ascended to the throne as the heir apparent to her father who passed away at the age of 56 in 1952.
    Five portraits of the Queen have been staples of coins in every continent excluding Antarctica beginning with her coronation in 1953, over the years her portrait has been a mainstay on coin obverses in nations such as Britain, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and Fiji just to name a few (many other countries could be included in this list as well.)
    But her influence in the world of numismatics stretches even farther back than that, as her first appearance on currency was on Canadian banknotes beginning all the way back in 1935!
    As the worlds oldest reigning monarch and Britains longest lived one would be hard pressed to find a person who has appeared on more coinage than QEII.
    There are innumerable numismatic items featuring the Queen, if you'd like to show off some of your favorite examples or add on to the history of one of the world's most fascinating people, have at it.
    Ill kick of proceedings with a 1960 Schilling...
    0621170341-1.jpg 0621170341a-1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Her father was actually George VI, not II.

Interesting to hear that she was on a 1935 Canadian note. I wonder why because back then she was not expected to ever ascend to the throne as her father was only second in line after Edward VIII.

4. Mad Stax

Whoops, thanks for the correction. I edited it in my OP.
    And as far as the banknotes I did a little more research, she was featured on the front of $20 notes, of which only about a million were printed. As to why, I'm not entirely sure, as she was only 8 years of age at the time. I'll try and dig a little deeper to find out if there was specific reason she was featured on their currency at such a young age.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I reckon QE2 must surely rank second to Abe Lincoln for being on the largest number of coins in circulation.

Mad Stax likes this.
  6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Aside from Lincoln, I probably have her image on more coins - mostly British and Canadian than any other. I greatly admire her - her record of service to her country and commonwealth is nothing short of remarkable. She has had prime ministers all the way back to Winston Churchill!

Mad Stax likes this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

We're not very much into monarchy here in France (better known for having them beheaded :D) but still I have some coins of hers that I like

Funny enough she was born the same day as the foundation of Rome. I bet she won't last that long :D:D

Enough being sarcastic, I quite like her first portrait on coins

Sp4157-1967b.jpg

Q

Mad Stax likes this.
  8. Mad Stax

Interesting little factoid, I never knew that, ya learn something new every day.
    And sarcasm is OK with me, I've seen much worse around the forum. :smug:

Cucumbor likes this.
  9. Zonker

Zonker Active Member

QEII just celebrated her Sapphire Jubilee. A special, limited mintage, sovereign was struck on the day.

Mad Stax likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted