The Proof 50 Cent US Marshal Coin Saga Continues!! More Returns!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by keemao, Mar 1, 2015.

1. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Shortly after my first order of US Marshal commems, of which I had to return quite a few of the $1 and 50 cent proofs due to marks, smudges on the coins, I ordered 10 more proof 50 cent commems to send in for grading. They were on back order for a few weeks and finally shipped over a week ago via the wonderful speedy FedEx Smartpost, which I personally hate. Anyway, they were delivered yesterday and I went through them and at least 5 are going to be returned due to gouges and small spots of metal missing from the surface of the coin. I don't know if this is a problem with making a proof clad coin or what, but it is very annoying since I have to pay the return freight. I have also noticed that all of the coins are coming with a lot of fuzz and stuff inside the capsules. So I took some pics of the gouges the best I could using my Dino-Lite. A couple of the coins I had to tilt to get the gouge to show in the picture but in hand it's very apparent when looking at the coin. I have circled the area with white so it's easier to see. Just ticks me off that the product seems to be so bad like they aren't paying enough attention to the quality of the product. These would never make it through grading. And these pics were taken through the plastic capsule so you see more "stuff" than you would on the actual coin.

A001 - 20150301_173839.jpg A002 - 20150301_174203.jpg A003 - 20150301_174432.jpg A004 - 20150301_174715.jpg A005 - 20150301_174835.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'll bet changing to FedEx was a strategic move to save on return shipping costs. I guess they realized that the Mint quality was deteriorating, and this move would save them a bunch of bucks.

Chris

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

This is just another moneymaker for the mint. Proof clad coinage has been made for decades, and they generally do it pretty well. There is just no art or care given to proofs anymore. The laser etched frost is just trashy to me. Having said that, you can't expect to get 70s every time.

Spud Koolzip likes this.
  5. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

While I don't expect every coin to get a 70 (it would be wonderful, though), I doubt these would even make 69 and a 68 would be a waste of money to me. And I think I will call customer service tomorrow and bitch a little about having to pay to return their lousy craftsmanship at my expense. Maybe I can find a way to get reimbursed.

6. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

The ones you send back will become reverse proofs. Nothing new to that strategy. Major Auto makers came up with two tone paint jobs to cover major mistakes without having to repaint the whole car.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

FWIW, when I returned my Kennedy gold proofs, the CSR I spoke to advised me to send a copy of my return shipping receipt under separate cover, with a letter explaining that I was returning them because of defects and requesting reimbursement. I got a check in the mail a couple of weeks after my refund was processed (the refund was credited back to my CC). So all I was out was the cost of a first-class stamp, plus the original $4.95 shipping charge (and, of course, time).

Edit: Perhaps not entirely comparable, though -- I was paying for registered mail insured for $6K, so it was definitely worth my while to pursue the shipping reimbursement. For $5 or $10, not sure I would've bothered.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I feel your pain brother. I ordered 3 of the 50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar sets and two had to go back. First time I've ever sent anything back to the mint.

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

They just send your returns out to the next customer...

Blissskr likes this.
  10. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

This thread deserves a cliché:

"If you want a coin in a specific grade and a specific TPG holder, then buy it that way."

I am surprised the US Mint takes these rampant and quality-unrealistic returns. Where did it say on their site that all coins would be immaculate and 70-worthy? I don't like the garbage the Mint chugs out nowadays, but I also don't think any rational person expects every coin they produce to be perfect.

Blissskr, 19Lyds and Kirkuleez like this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Lots of irrational people on the various forums apparently. :)

12. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

They will eventually send it to someone who collects unopened boxes.

-jeffB likes this.
  13. Kip Caven

Kip Caven Member

Wow-thats pathetic...........mine was perfect

14. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

I am not saying every coin has to be a perfect 70 but they should not come with nicks and gouges in the proof field that you can see with the naked eye when you rotate the coin under light. That's just bad quality control in my opinion.

Andrew G. and -jeffB like this.
  15. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

When the day comes that each and every coin is individually inspected for these minor flaws, folks will not be able to afford the US Mint proof sets any longer.

The point being, these are mass produced. Most have some type of flaw as fault could be found with each and every one.

16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Funny, I order three of these sets as well.

One went in my Dansco
    One got sent in for grading:

PCGS Submission 4773632.jpg

And one I'll resell at some point in the future.

Understand, that each coin was inspected and chosen for quality which is where the "submitted" set came from. (I should have ordered 5 sets or even 10 but then that kind of falls into lottery ticket territory meaning - It only takes 1 set of numbers to win so why buy 20 or more quick picks?)

But, what ever. Its all modern and the real rarities are those PR67's that slip through to the public. Everything else is either a 69 or a 70.

17. green18

Oh, I quite understand.......I can deal with small imperfections that are barely perceivable......I'm a pretty amiable guy. But in the case of the Kennedy sets, the Philly proofs both had scratches. I don't abide scratches on proofs. Uncirc's I understand but not proof coins

18. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

"The point being, these are mass produced. Most have some type of flaw as fault could be found with each and every one."

I had a little chat with someone at NGC today about some other coins I sent in for grading and we got onto the topic of the US Marshal coins. He agreed that there are just tons of flaws with these coins, like polish lines or scratches across the star on the silver proof dollar. I can understand a few minor flaws on some coins, but when the majority of the proof coins have blatant flaws, that is unacceptable for an institution that sells them as proofs. The US Mint is not losing money on anything they sell so a little extra care in producing the coins would not be a burden for them.

19. green18

Well, I'll be home in a week and looking at what the US mint has sent me. Too far past the time I can return these (if I have to). Here's hoping for minor problems to say the least. I've faith in the Mint......even if it don't 'show' at all times.......

Draft saved Draft deleted