The Problem with German Coins!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Goldstone, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Well Chris, this old Yank likes Soviet era silver coins. I will collect just about anything, its like a mini museum in a way. :bigeyes: Traci

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I understand what you are saying but I have a completely opposite view. I am fascinated by the events of the second world war and I want to learn as much about it as I can. I think it's a very interesting historical time and if we can fully understand what happened there it will help us prevent it from happening again.

Me personally, I plan on trying to assemble a full set of Third Reich coins. It's one of my long term goals. Just because I want to put a set together is no endorsement by me of their activities...but a show of interest in that particular time in history.

4. rdwarrior

rdwarrior Junior Member

I agree, there seems to be an strange fascination with nazi coins, just search ebay and you will see numerous auctions for these coins. And considering they seem to be as common as pigsh_t (excuse my expression) the prices they go for seem way above what they should. It seems that I often see auctions for a lot of otherwise unremarkable coins being salted with a few of these coins with the swastika plain to see, probably to gin up some interest in the lot. The Majority of the nazi coins I have were procured in just this fashion, as part of a lot purchased because I wanted some other coin in the lot.

5. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I know that at least with WWII German items that they are more expensive because 98% of them were destroyed after the war. The helmets, guns, cannons, and so on were melted down for the steel to rebuild Europe and the destruction caused by the war. Countries such as the US and the UK sold their post war surplus to other countries and some of it is still in use today.

As far as the coins im sure that it is a mixture of quite a few of them being melted and also the "fascination" with anything with a swastika on it.

6. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I dont find Nazi coins to be very attractive either. I like Soviet Era propaganda artwork because of the idealized, blocky, stylized art work...with a healthy worker woman with a healthy worker man, staring off into the distance with wheat in the background type of themes...soviet coins are less interesting.

I am from the US but I find German notgeld (and earlier German states) coins intriguing...in fact these days, I feel like I have toured Germany reading about all the towns there that issued money...I am also very interested in WWI (far more than WWII).

My theory about why people like Nazi stuff is because they had such a great sense of style...skull and crossbones on the hats, the long trench coats, the cool symbols...they had flare...much like the Romans. I saw a show about the history of guns and they showed a custom made pistol, only two of which were made, that was one of the most outstanding examples of artisry on a weapon I have ever seen.

7. svessien

svessien Senior Member

This is one of my favorite coins. A Vespasian tetradrachm from the time around the sacking and destruction of Solomos temple. The coin may well have been made from silver stolen from the temple.
    I wish Solomos temple was still standing today, but it isn't.
    This coin is remaining to tell the tale.

[​IMG]

Adolf Hitler has become the arch villain of history; the one everyone loves to hate, and are allowed to hate. Probably well deserved, but it is only productive if one looks at history for parallels to our time, not to find someone worse to point the finger at, to argue that ones own society and country is flawless.

What about a thread called "The problem with US coins", arguing that all Vietnam war era coins should be melted due to the atrocities there? Would that be acceptable?

8. svessien

svessien Senior Member

"What about a thread called "The problem with US coins", arguing that all Vietnam war era coins should be melted due to the atrocities there? Would that be acceptable? "

Perhaps I should start with the bad things coming from my country: We could melt all the Viking coins remaining. It wouldn't take long, and we would be left with 2-3 ounces of silver and no memory of the horrible Vikings.

9. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

svessien,

Practically every Country in the World including those that no longer exist or have had name changes, have not so kosher to down right atrocities in their' past! I am sure that we all could find fault with another or many other countries but for the sake a civility, I think that it would be best that this Thread should be CLOSED before things get out of hand and name calling starts! Coin Talk has many, many members from many, many countries all over the world and I would hate to see any of it's members hurt by what may be wrote even if the writer meant nothing maliciously.

Frank

10. regandon

regandon Senior Member

You've made a very good point.

11. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I see no reason why it needs to be closed. I do not see anyone being uncivil and this is certainly a reoccurring debate on this forum ever since I have been a member. Why is it that the History channel can play non stop Nazi documentary footage but we shouldn't discuss the Nazi, their coins, and the ethics of collecting their remains in fear someone might not like it. Cant they simply not read the thread, thats what I do sometimes when I want to avoid bickering.

The only problem with this thread is its title...it should read 'the problem with WWII era German coins issued by the Nazi regime' or just 'the problem with collecting Nazi Coins'...there are at least 10 other threads with similar themes which delve into whether it is wrong or right to collect Nazi coins. Always the same point are expressed:

1. History...its fine to collect these coins, collecting them doesn't equal support for the regime that issued it. (name all those other nations that had tyrannical, criminal governments)

2. I dont feel right about it, I personally wont do it.

3. They should all be destroyed.

I dont think there is an absolute answer to be had, as is how it should be, collecting is personal and people should decide on their own what they want to do in such a situation.

12. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Hi Frank

I guess my post could be read as provocative, and sorry for that.
    As for the point about most countries having something bad in their past, that was my point too.
    I find it important to mention that among all the countries that we could mention, there is no country with a greater feeling of guilt than Germany. Remember when they arranged the football WC, and German people were celebrating a victory out in the streets with German flags, Chancellor Merkel said that first now the German people dared to cheer with flags and celebrate their nationality. Mostly, Germans are quick to look down and humbly excuse themself for WWII, although they were not even born then and have no responsibility.
    Like Drusus says; History channel runs WWII footage round the clock, telling the tale about the universal villain. I just wanted to say we should start with ourselfs first.
    Like the OP, I don't want any swastikas around my home either. I have a 5 mark with Hindenburg, and that represents Germany WWII era. I don't agree politically incorrect coins should go in the smelter, though, be it Caesar, Nero, Ghenghis Khan, Attilla the Hun, British and Spanish kings, Napoleon or Mao.

Svein

13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Svein,

interestingly the History Channel over here in DE has a somewhat different and more diverse program. So quite obviously they adapt it to what the "locals" in various countries want to see. When it comes to the UK, for certain mass media (primarily yellow press and comedy shows) a war which ended 64 years ago is still not over yet. Seems to be a little different in the US, except maybe when people go to war (see Iraq), but all in all there aren't such problems.

Right, most of those who live in Germany today were not even alive during the nazi years, but knowing about the past is very important for our present and future. Also but not only because we still have an active "neo-"nazi scene in several European countries including Germany. Oh, and a little more sensitivity would sometimes not hurt, for example in the case of Poland. Guess that in a few days there will be lots of articles and TV documentaries, "here" and "there", about WW2 which began 70 years ago, on 1-Sep-1939. But while in the case of WW1 it is difficult to determine the aggressor, that is very obvious with regard to "Hitler's" war.

I suppose that a coin honoring somebody like Knut Hamsun - not simply "evil", not simply "good", but controversial - would probably be avoided in Germany. And you may know that this year is the 2000th anniversary of the Varus Battle. Was a coin issued in DE on that occasion? No, an "event" such as the IAAF (Athletics) Championship in Berlin was more important. Sports, phh. ;)

Christian

14. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Christian, as you may know, Knut Hamsun is awarded a commemorative coin this year. I haven't bought it, but am not into modrn comemms anyway.
    The Hamsun coin was controversial in Norway, because of his nazi sypathies. However, he was primarily a writer, and can not be held responsible for the actions of anouther contrys government, IMO. Not more than blaming Nietsche for inspiring Hitler, I think.

I agree that sensitivity is a good idea. That is why I reacted when reading the original post under the broad headline "German coins". I have so much positive experience with the people of Germany, and I honestly think there are more pressing issues today than World War 2. :smile

Still, "never forget", is a good idea. "Never forgive" is not.

15. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

+1, Well said.

16. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I refuse to collect coins from Transylvania until someone drives a stake through this thread.

17. schwalbe

schwalbe Junior Member

I only read the first page, but i collect Nazi coins/paper money. My girlfriend and i get coins from all over the world.Why would museum's want a Me-109, Me-262, He-111. Ju-88, Fw-190, Tiger Tanks, Panther Tanks? A junked Tiger tank found in the woods of Russia can get over$80,000 USD. Should we never goto the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio because it has a few Nazi planes? It's a part of history, something that is forgotten will happen again. So dont forget, repsect it. And the most important part, enjoy history.

18. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Sven, you think Vespasian was a bit of a porker? Looks like he never met a meal he did not like. I like my tyrants with a lean and hungry look. (sorry for the sub-par photo) Traci :eat:

Attached Files:

19. svessien

svessien Senior Member

:) Is this better, Traci?

[​IMG]

20. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Cool Sven.... I always imagined Alexander looked like this: (Brad Pitt) :hail:

Attached Files:

21. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Yeah, I am pretty sure that photo of Brad Pitt was him playing Achilles in the movie TROY, not Alexander.

Draft saved Draft deleted