The Priciest World Coin of all Time! 1621 100 Ducats

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by fred13, Jan 10, 2018.

1. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

mynamespat and panzerman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    panzerman likes this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Actually no, a Mughal Empire AV 1000 Mohurs from Jahangir was bid upto 10 Million US in 1987=in todays $ $30 Million. The 10 million was fefused as too low by consignor. This coin weighs 35 pounds!
    John

Stevearino and Curtisimo like this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That transaction never actually happened, so it doesn't count.

Stevearino and TheFinn like this.
  6. panzerman

Well OK...
    But over 6 Million for Umayyad AV Dinar at Morton and Eden Auction 2011:)

Curtisimo and fred13 like this.
  7. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

Would you mind providing another link to the webpage? The url you posted appears to be down

8. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

Hahaha you caught me Panzerman. You are right. But I think this holds the title for second place which I think is still impressive. Unless you can prove me wrong again :D

Curtisimo likes this.
  9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Sorry. I missed the final letter l. I fixed it.

10. panzerman

Yes, when you check wikepedia most expensive coins/most are US. However for some reason, only a few World coins made that top ten. The Umayyad Caliphate AV Dinar got 6+Million/ but a 1898 South Africa AV Pond fetched 4 million. I think there were coins that probably were unknown to wikepedia. Like some ultra rare Roman aurei/ Transylvanian 100 Dukaten/ Venetian 105 Dukaten/ Mughal 200 AV Mohur Shah Jahan/ 100 Mohurs/ 500 Mohurs.....
    You could spend all of Warren Buffets $ on rare coins in one year!:(
    John
    PS: I rather have that Poland 100 Dukaten 1621/ then any of the coins that made the top 10;)

Obone and Stevearino like this.
  11. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I am under the impression that Australia's 1 ton gold coin holds the record for the most expensive coin / bullion value at 50+ million dollars. Whether that was sold or not is another question.

panzerman likes this.
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's just the highest-priced Polish coin and a world record for this coin, see here...

A copy sold in the Classical Numismatic Group Triton XXI auction on January 10, 2018 is probably the finest of all copies known of this coin. Previously sold in 2008 Stack’s sale (Kroisos Collection) with the realized price of $1,380,000, incl. Buyer’s Premium fee, became the highest price to date for the World coin. Through past appearances this coin was sold for $2,160,000, incl. Buyer’s Premium fee, hitting this way a new historical record for the World coin and became the most expensive Polish coin ever minted.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    panzerman and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  13. panzerman

Exactly true. I think that there are going to be more and more records broken. As far as the Australian 1 ton coin, other then its gold value, definately not a numismatic item, ugly too. Some prices are unrealistic like the 1933 Double Eagle (15 known and counting) There is a fantastic Michael Apafi 1677 100 Dukaten from Transylvania (2known) that is in mint state.....if I had the $/ that would be on my dream list.:):):):):):):):):) Most be fun to be that rich.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

One could look at it that way. However, the $10 million bid was a legitimate offer and the coin would have been sold that amount if the owner had accepted it. Thus making it the most valuable coin by far, including US coins. At least until Australia came along with their 1 ton coin.

panzerman likes this.
  15. panzerman

I remember reading that the Emperor Jahangir had two examples struck. He gave one to his wife (keep her from nagging) and the other to his court jester;) Had I been his lawn/garden caretaker....maybe I would have gotten one too!:) I do a pretty good job.

-jeffB and Stevearino like this.
  16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I understand your point. But the same point can be made of the 1000 mohur and several others. I say that because no coin that weighs 35 pounds can ever be considered numismatic in nature. And neither can any of the 100 ducat coins for that matter for they were never minted with any intention of them ever actually be used as coins.

All of these kinds of coins were made as novelties, extravagances, trophies if you will made to impress people, and for no other reason.

panzerman and sakata like this.
  17. panzerman

Yes, for the 1000/500/200/100 Mohurs/ unless you were buying a house back then.
    For the Dukat coinage, which went from the wee 1/32 upto 105/ probably the bigger coins 20 Dukaten and higher were for presentation. The 10 Dukaten and under for commerce. The 1/32/1/16/1/12 would have been for going to the local fruit/vegetable market.Hopefully, you had no pockets with HOLES:(

18. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

That coin had a mintage of TWO. The one that was on display in Germany was stolen and has most likely been cut apart and melted for scrap. .

panzerman likes this.
  19. goldducat

goldducat Active Member

Stevearino and panzerman like this.
  20. panzerman

That was a Canadian gold coin.....expensive "scrape";) eh?

21. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction on the coin's origin. My statement regarding what I think happened to the stolen coin stands.

Draft saved Draft deleted