The price was right

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bcuda, Jul 5, 2020.

1. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

Picked this one up seller had it at $39 then dropped it to $29 and I had $13 in E-bay bucks fixing to expire so I got it for the bargain price of $16 shipped !

s-l500.jpg
    Maximianus Herculius,
    AE Follis. AD 297-298.
    Obverse: IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS PF AVG, laureate head right
    Reverse: GENIO POPVLI ROMANI, Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopiae. Mintmark HTB. Heraclea. 9.8 g. RIC 19b,B

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nice coin and at a nice price!

This Maximian follis was just over $16 as part of a group lot of folles of the tetrarchy:

[​IMG]
    Maximian, 1st Reign, AD 286-305.
    Roman billon follis, 10.96 g, 27.2 mm, 12 h.
    Trier, AD 298-99.
    Obv: IMP MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, laureate head, right.
    Rev: GENIO POP-VLI ROMANI, Genius, wearing modius, nude but for chlamys draped over left shoulder, standing left, holding patera in right hand and cornucopiae in left hand; A/*//TR.
    Refs: RIC vi, p. 186, 277b.
    Notes: Typically, the reverse legend is broken GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI.

4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

5. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

Anyone else have a coin to post that the price was right on please share.

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have a theory: EVERY coin I purchased, the price was right on. Else, I would not have spent the money. Otherwise, all the OTHER coins that I do not have, were not the right price. :D

7. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Picked this one up for $19..... 3 years ago at an auction, there was another similar coin at the same time which went for the same price......I wish I'd gone for both...
    tabariastan (1).jpg
    Tabaristan
    ½ Drachm - "Ispahbadh of Tabaristan" Khurshid - 740-760 AD (Tabaristan mint 752/3 AD ) 2 gram
    Obverse-Bust right,crescent in right field, breast ornament with 4 pellets.Pellet above crown to right, Name in Pahlavi.
    Reverse- Fire altar with 2 attendants; star left and crescent right of flames.

Herodotus, octavius, 7Calbrey and 8 others like this.
  8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

All of these postings are very interesting. I don't have any "...the price was right..." coins. I have a very nice collection of ancients. Perhaps 100 fit for viewing. But, they all started out as very deep in the uncleaned category. A different perspective on collecting I suppose. I do like to see the coins that the members come up with and post. Several times they have given me an "ah ha" moment and put me in the direction I needed to identify one that I was working on. Keep posting these nice additions.

9. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

Well what your telling me is you have bunch of coins that price was right, but I have not seen any pics.

Alegandron likes this.
  10. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

@Spaniard that is a super nice coin for the price, I love it !

Spaniard likes this.
  11. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

This was 6EUR in 2018, with a nice uncommon legend IMP PROBVS INV AVG, from Siscia:

probus.JPG

12. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I got this Philip I sestertius for $30 +free S/H.
    [​IMG]
    Philip I, Ruled 244-249 AD
    AE Sestertius, Struck 246 AD
    Rome mint, 5th officina, 5th emission

Obverse: IMP PHILIPPVS AVG, laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: ANNONA AVGG, Annona, draped, standing left, holding corn-ears in right hand over modius and cornucopiae in left hand; S-C across fields.
    References: RIC IV 168d, Banti 10
    Notes: Rare. Banti records only two examples with this obverse legend. 8 examples on ACSearch
    cf: CNG E-Action 238 (8/11/2010), Lot #549

I got this Diocletian ant pretty much fully silvered for $15 + free S/H:
    [​IMG]
    Diocletian, Ruled 285-305 AD
    AE Antoninianus (silvered)
    Struck 285 AD, Antioch Mint

Obverse: IMP C C VAL DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, bust of Diocletian, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right.
    Reverse: IOV ET HERCV CONSER AVGG, Jupiter, standing right, holding globe in right hand and sceptre in left hand, and Hercules, standing left, holding Victory in right hand and club and lion’s skin in left hand, A officina designation above, mintmark XXI.
    References: RIC V 323

And I got this big Carthage dishekel for under $40 shipped:
    [​IMG]
    Zeugitania, Carthage, 264-241 BC
    First Punic War
    AE Dishekel, Sardinia Mint

Obverse: Head of Tanit left, wearing wreath of grain and earrings.
    Reverse: Head of horse right.
    References: MAA 58, SNG Cop 192
    Size: 27mm, 14.5g
    cf: CNG E-Auction 407 (10/11/2017), Lot #27

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, YUP! EVEN if I overpaid for the coin (compared to OTHER folks), it was still a value. Because I PURCHASED the coin, I AGREED to its price. As the quid quo pro for the price, I received a cool coin that I AGREED to buy, that met my wants at that time.

Everyone that squawks about high prices, YET purchases a coin at that high price, is AGREEING that it is the right price for their purchase of that coin. So, every coin purchased is at the price that you agreed. :) Purdy simple. If they were too much, you would not buy them.

I have not looked up the price I paid for this coin. But, I will tell you that it was the PERFECT price, as I PURCHASED it at the time it was offered (whether an auction, a seller, or a shop.) :)

Here is one of my SUPER-VALUE WOWEE coin (as is every one of my collection.)

upload_2020-7-11_11-6-52.png
    Zeugitania Carthage 400-350 BCE Æ unit 15.3 mm, 2.7g Tanit l earring necklace - Horse r palm tree two pellets r MAA 18a

Herodotus, 7Calbrey, Limes and 9 others like this.
  14. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

@Justin Lee you got some real good bargains on those coins for sure the Phiilip Sestertius is nice and I love the Zeugitania Carthage coin and love the one @Alegandron posted up also. I have one of those on my list to buy but so far not yet.

Justin Lee and Alegandron like this.
  15. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I do love a bargain thread. Some great stuff here. Justin's Philip I sestertius in particular got me to a'drooling.

I've been buying a lot of unattributed lots on eBay lately - I find I enjoy the figuring-out process a lot, and there tends to be some minor gems from time to time in the dreck.

But I'm not sure about this one being a "bargain." Two sestertii, from France (shipping time: June 30 - July 9 - France to Midwestern USA! :D). Price works out with shipping to just under $30.00 each. I went for it because of the Aelius - he was on my bucket list.

My photos show the Aelius pretty accurately - quite worn, but identifiable. But the Faustina is actually nicer in hand - a kind of worn, warm brassy look to it - and she weighs a ton - 28 grams+. I actually prefer her to the Aelius.

Anyway, I like 'em, but feel free to unleash if you want to tell me about a fool and his money...

_Lot Sest Aelius & Faustina I France Jun 2020  (0).jpg

Aelius (Caesar) Æ Sestertius
    (137 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

[L AE]LIVS CAE[SAR], bare head right / [TR POT COS II] S C, Spes walking left, holding flower and raising hem of skirt.
    RIC II.3 2695 (RIC 1055a).
    (22.24 grams / 28 mm)

Faustina I Æ Sestertius
    5th Phase: Anniversary of Faustina’s Deification
    (c. 150-160 A.D.) Rome Mint

DIVA FAV[STINA], draped bust right / AE[TERNITA]S S C, Juno standing left with raised right hand and holding sceptre in left hand.
    RIC 1102a; Cohen 28.
    (28.20 grams / 30 mm)

Herodotus, 7Calbrey, Limes and 5 others like this.
  16. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

A nice bargain @bcuda! I'm in the @Alegandron camp on this...here's one I had no intention of buying, but the price was right and I liked the capricorn which seems to have been a popular theme for Parium going back to Augustus:
    Macrinus Capricorn.jpg Marcus Opellius Macrinus, 217-218 AD, Parium, Mysia, AE (22.5mm, 7.09g)
    Obv: IMP C M OPE SEV MACRINVS, bust laureate, draped, cuirassed right, border of dots
    Rev: Capricorn right, extending front legs to hold globe, cornucopia above back; C G I H P below, border of dots
    Ref: AMC 13405, RPC Online missing?

What is the C G I H P? The "H" was added for Hadrian, to recognize his generosity to the city of Parium, the "H" was added to read Colonia Gemella Iulia Hadriana Pariana.

Macrinus was born in 164 in Caesarea, Mauritania. He managed the "res privata" of Caracalla and in 212 became prefect of the praetorian guard. He was declared emperor on 11-April-217 days after Caracalla's death. The first non-senator emperor and the first emperor from Mauritania. He took the title of "Severus" to garner support from the Severan family. Apparently that didn't work, as Julia Maesa had her son, Elagabalus, declared emperor, and shortly after 8-June-218, Macrinus and his son Diadumenian were dead.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  17. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

a couple of years ago, I won this coin for a few dollars (felt a little guilty)...seller's original pic--

Crispus_trier_ChiRho.JPG

18. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Both of these 2 coins have Genio on reverse. The first was struck at Cyzicus under Constantine the Great. The second was issued at Heraclea under Licinius. I chose them because reverse legends read respectively Genio Augusti and Genio Caesaris. I wonder why did the Romans attribute these titles to their deities?

ConstGen O       Ric6-82 S.JPG ConstGcyzic   Augusti.JPG GenLic O        Licinius.JPG Genio R           Heraclea.JPG

19. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

A Valentinian II AE3 re-issue of the GLORIA ROMANORVM type of Valentinian I from Siscia autumn of 384 to the summer of 387, rather scarce I think, despite what RIC says for 7$ delivered.

val2.jpg

20. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

This Heraclius follis, RY 3, came out of an auction lot of 34 Byzantine coins. The average price paid per coin was around $7.92 per coin, with the conversion and buyer's fee.

This example has a twice struck obverse, and an over-strike on the reverse, probably over a follis of Phocas.

D-Camera Phocas Follis, double struck, Roma,, 6-24-20.jpg

The second coin, from the same lot, is an anonymous follis of Basil II and Constantine VIII.

D-Camera Byzantine Anonymous Follis, Basil II and Constantine VIII, Roma, A3,, 6-21-20.jpg

Both coins, I think, are good buys.

It is possible to get some really interesting Byzantine coins in large lots. It is also amazing seeing many that are being sold at high prices, in my opinion, on the Internet.

21. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I am a fairly new collector - but I got a ton of deals 3-4 year ago on the Forvm Free Members Auction site:
    https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Auction
    However for the last couple of years those interesting sellers do not seem to post anymore - probably went to eBay. Now its mostly Forvm themselves posting coins and they seem to go quite high.
    It was fun while it lasted - and hopefully will return.

A few examples that were around $5 - $15..

upload_2020-9-8_1-31-38.png
    upload_2020-9-8_1-32-6.png

upload_2020-9-8_1-33-46.png
    upload_2020-9-8_1-34-36.png
    Quite a few more too..

Draft saved Draft deleted