The Post Office is Nuts

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by johnmilton, Dec 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Sooo, did they hold both of the packages?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I called the local post office and they claimed they did but as of today its still marked as being delivered at home. I have three more packages from ebay "out for delivery" today according to informed delivery.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  4. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

I still have not received my Uncirculated Coin Set from the Mint that I ordered in Nov! It's finally in NY State! Maybe it would help to actually pay shipping instead of the mint's "free shipping".

5. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

A month ago I had a package from a Great Collections auction take a detour on it's way to northern WI. The usual tracking route is from Anaheim to Oak Creek WI to my local PO. This one went from Anaheim to Jackson MS. From that point tracking ended on the package. I did end up getting it about a week later.

6. I am really enjoying this thread. Have read it twice. It is a shame. I recall reading once where the the guy who started Fedex wrote a college paper that a private company could compete with the post office and the professor gave him an "F". Odd that the Romans never thought of having a class of civil servants to move letters. Cicero didn't like the way letters were conveyed-could be opened along the way. I think it was Trajan who denied an incorporation of firefighters due to the obsessive Roman fear of anti-government organizations.

7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

My package has been stuck in California for the past 4 days.

8. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Informed delivery doesn't update based on scans, it goes by estimated delivery date. At least that's what I've seen.

Rushmore likes this.
  9. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I use UPS and FedEx for my business shipments and the US Post Office for my coin buying and selling and have way more issues with the private companies. Everything is upside down between the covid-19 the holidays.
    Once the demand on these entities decreases I expect things will get back to normal.

imrich likes this.
  10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Oh well, it is what it is, patience...

11. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Yes, and if you could live today with the wages they made back then, you'd be a very poor man. So what's your point?

baseball21 and Jeffjay like this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

My wife mailed a Christmas card to her 90 year old mother. She's likes to receive mail so it was worth the cost of a stamp. It's just the card and it was mailed on 12-20-20. Including today, mom has not received her Christmas card.

Mom lives in the house built in 1822. It sits on 20 acres which my wife and I care for. Moms been in this house for over 62 years. My wife and I live in the barn apartment. The barn is as old as the house but the apartment is only 75-100 years old.

In other words, we live about 200 feet away and she still has not received her card. She should have had it the next day. Thinks are getting worse at the post office and it's not from all that's happening lately.

My brother is a rural carrier and he told me they are losing an extreme amount of money and mail justs sits. Doesn't matter what it is, it doesn't move. His office has delivered ads that were over a week ago. When I worked there this type of stuff never happened. He also says don't count or rely on them. They are no longer interested in timely deliveries. Only Express Mail is guaranteed.

13. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

Yep you have that right! shoveling the slush off the porch this morning I found a post card from the bank for the wife in the snow next to the porch. it was supposed to be delivered 3 days ago with what they should call it the what you ain't getting delivery! Local PO doesn't answer their phone and has hand written notes on doors if you don't have a pink attempted delivery slip don't EVEN ask, Yhey were in the habit of saying delivery was attempted but nobody there. it does appear ut is circling the drain. mail delivered only on Sunday and not the rest of the week. Nobody wants to work OT during the week, but are in line to nwork it on Sunday!

14. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

Only an in-state detour? I get them all the time. One recent package came Allentown, PA, Jacksonville, FL, Montgomery, AL, Greenville, SC, [Greenville is my "local" distribution center], Hendersonville,NC. Not too bad, considering I once got a package mailed one state away that arrived three months late marked "Sent to Taiwan in error."

wxcoin likes this.
  15. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

Only four days? It's Jan 2, and I have a package "in transit" last scanned in Peoria Dec 22, and another last scanned in Syracuse Dec 21. On the other hand, I've gotten a couple of packages [untracked] just two days after being mailed. I suspect what with the current lack of staff, tracking, and the need to scan, may actually slow down a package. Which means "Priority Mail" is actually moving slower than regular first class.

16. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Bought another coin around 5 days ago it arrived in two days I guess this one didn't escape the great mail plague.

17. Collecting Nut

Naturally, OT is time and a half but Sunday is double time. Nothing like working for 8 and getting paid for 16.

18. When I mailed a Certified-the teller reminded me that the PO "is self supporting". Not snippy really but emphatic. For the person who bought the paper shredder: Years ago I had a rubber stamp made up "nearly" exactly the likeness using deep red ink, of their standard "undeliverable as addressed" return mail. Only I changed the pointing finger around ("a little bit"). "Return To Sender-Delivery Refused". When I first started to use it some dimwit carrier sent it back to me anyway, so now I use HVAC tape across my address. Yea, I know it makes more work for the PO (I am retired-so I got time) but on the other hand they "profit" from the unsolicited ads so I don't feel too sorry. I understand they are supposed to be returned "postage due", if not into the "dead letter" bin.

19. Collecting Nut

If a letter is refused it is returned to the sender, no additional postage.

The po has always claimed they are self supporting and use no tax dollars. No one has ever been able to explain to me how the po can lose billions of dollars a year and stay in business. Where does this money come from? Even my postal boss that was responsible for over 120 offices couldn't explain it to me.

Circus likes this.
  20. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Hey, the government loses trillions and is still around!

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Easy to be self supporting when you get billions from congress all the time lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.