The Post Office is Nuts

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by johnmilton, Dec 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

The Post office here worked on Sunday.. Rural deliveries BUT inside was not open for Business just the mail carriers and a clerk..

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Dang, some of this publicity must be hitting home.

I left for work this morning at 7:30am EST and saw a Postal delivery truck in my rear view mirror.

They usually don't hit my 'hood until 6pm or later . . . .

Z

where I live.jpeg

4. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

That pic reminds me of a song from Pink Floyd"s Dark Side Of The Moon album.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

↑. The correct answer! ↑

MIGuy and LA_Geezer like this.
  6. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Won an auction Sunday night (Dec 20th), paid for it right then, and coin arrived this afternoon (CA to FL) by USPS.

Several Christmas cards (OR and NC) took three days to get here by USPS.

I ordered some coin slab 3-ring binder sheets from Wizard last week, arrived today.

I ordered some books from Amazon (Prime next day delivery) last week and they arrived Tuesday.

I ordered some 4x6 glossy inkjet printer paper ten days ago (Prime next day delivery) and they arrived 5 days later.

I ordered some 8.5 x 11 glossy inkjet printer paper on Monday (Prime next day delivery) and they arrived Tuesday.

I think maybe the take-away is that deliveries are less predictable than before the Christmas rush complicated by COVID effects. I'm not letting it stop me. But I probably won't be sending anything that is high dollar until after the New Year.

MIGuy likes this.
  7. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Fun update:

Filed a case for my cousin's missing box of gifts. It's made it as far as the wrong end of Montana (Billings, they live near Missoula) after almost two weeks. (Priority Mail, fwiw)

Postmaster in charge of the case just sent a message saying basically "We're too busy to work this case so I'm closing it. How about you just keep checking the tracking details online - except we're probably not going to do any scans because we're too busy."

philologus_1 likes this.
  8. Mjs1447

Mjs1447 aficionado

This all reminds me of the first coins I ever ordered from the Mint in 1983 - the Olympics Commemoratives. I sent a check and received the coins about 9 months later - those were the days!!

mlov43 and MIGuy like this.
  9. Derrick Combs

Derrick Combs Well-Known Member

If it goes over I think ten days you can contact the po and they will put a thing on the track number that tells it to kick it to a manual sort bin the next time it scans. I've had to do this a few times. I just had one from Spokane wa go to San Diego ca on its way to nh. It processed through 3 times. I called the po with the tracker and 3 days later it was in nh

10. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

9 Months ! That's a long time . I just called on the phone and ummm.... yelled . Next day package had moved . :mad:

11. Derrick Combs

That post office sent it back to the distribution center and it's probably sitting in a truck or bin somewhere

ZoidMeister and mlov43 like this.
  12. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

Yeah, I finally just quit ordering stuff in early December because I was so sick of the anxiety tracking everything.

I'm in Illinois. I've had packages go from California, to New York and come back. I've had packages sitting in Illinois for 9 days before arriving on the 10th day. I've had packages sit at their original post office for weeks. Paid for two day shipping on something coming UPS and it arrived 8 days AFTER the scheduled arrival date. No refund. They "mishandled it". It was an hour away and then accidentally got sent to Colorado before getting sent back.
    I've had packages go back and forth between Memphis and Indianapolis twice. Have had packages bouncing back and forth between Chicago suburbs for days, if the tracking is even accurate.
    Something simple I ordered from Texas on the 10th, is now in my mailbox as of 2 p.m. right now, the 24th.
    Now I see two UPS trucks patrol the neighborhood. When the guy does come it's much later than normal and he's running.

Covid, Christmas,winter weather, people over ordering online with a dash of pure incompetence = you're not seeing a package for 2-3 weeks unless you get really lucky. Don't even bother paying for expedited shipping because it isn't going to happen. They have locked trucks full of packages just sitting with nobody to drive them.

philologus_1 and ZoidMeister like this.
  13. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

A purchase (32 D Washington quarter) I made a few weeks finally moved lol

That is nuts.

239C98BE-1037-4452-88D1-D1FEA9CEDC98.jpeg

ZoidMeister likes this.
  14. Derrick Combs

25 days to get here Screenshot_20201227-085259_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20201227-085306_eBay.jpg

ZoidMeister likes this.
  15. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Did you see the news on Cleveland TV about all the boxes and boxes and piles and piles of mail piled up at the USPS Hopkins Airport facility? My wife is still waiting on meds she ordered on Nov. 30. I'll bet it's been in Cleveland for the past 3 weeks. We live in suburban Akron. This is BS.

16. Captain Sully

Captain Sully Active Member

Heck even before the holidays it took 10 days to go from one side of town to the other.
    Also purchased several items equating to about $100 sent to me, never arrived
    discovery said it was never scanned. Post Office Supervisor said "well maybe the scanner did not work". BS. At any rate the sender had to eat it. Made good on it.
    Carefully track your packages.

philologus_1 and ZoidMeister like this.
  17. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

My son in Richmond Va is waiting on a package I sent. Was supposed to arrive on the 21st. Still waiting. He has a friend who works at the Post Office. He received a photo of several thousands packages waiting to be delivered. It will still be day before they are all delivered.

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That makes it look like the sender printed the label, then sat on the package for three weeks before taking it to the post office.

I assume the seller's story is that they put it in a mailbox on the 27th or the 29th.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  19. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I have had no major issues. A couple one or two day delays.

20. runninghorse1

runninghorse1 Member

Keep being patient for those deliveries. I bought a Morgan Dollar on eBay and it was shipped Nov 2nd from Texas to Philadelphia and it arrived on Dec 22nd. The packaging looked clean and "as mailed" and the coin was packed fine and all is good. It just took nearly 7 weeks time. There must be some massive failure for processing "first in, first out" at the distribution sites due to manpower shortages, or other system glitches.

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The system glitch is covid. The package volume is just far past what the system can actually handle since everything is just get ordered to peoples homes instead of going to the store or the mall to get it.

runninghorse1 and MIGuy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.