The PO1 British Penny question

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Legomaster1, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

049612B0-BE73-4229-923D-D5B0A89FB9A8.jpeg 5CF89B12-B1E7-463A-935B-D9EA0EB651F5.jpeg I have had this 1881 English penny for quite a while, and it appears to be a very “lowball”, possibly PO1 coin. I’ve heard of heavily worn Morgans selling for quite a bit, but what about this?

Islander80-83 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Scrap copper.

I get tons of these all the time when I buy collections.
    All the worn ones go in the scrap bin for smelting.
    The only Bun Head Penny date worth saving in that condition is the the 1869.

Spark1951, Stevearino and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

I understand why you asked, but I think you are comparing apples to oranges here. Morgans, and US coins, in general, have a huge collector base in comparison to British Pennies. I can not think of a single reason why this coin would sell for anything more than the going rate for bulk world coins. The collector base is just not there.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Supply vs. Demand. No demand compared to the supply, which means not valuable.

6. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

You're headed in the right direction but I think there's a little to much meat on that bone. I can't tell from here if there's any damage on your coin. If your coin could straight grade and placed in a PO1 slab...........it would fetch a premium in my opinion.

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Only Americans like PO1 coins, and mostly only US coins at that. This is worth copper melt value or a touch over.

Stevearino likes this.
  8. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

I don't think it's anywhere near bad enough for a PO1. I have a lovely 1872, for comparison. ;)

1872 1d.jpg

Seattlite86 and Oldhoopster like this.
  9. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, this is exactly what you're looking for!

1872 1d.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted