The Plated Fouree in Circulation

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kevin McGonigal, May 22, 2019.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Last night I was having connection troubles that made adding images difficult so I'll try again now continuing 'fourrees I like'. My pet peeve is that some experts insist on using the word 'all' when they have studied only a few coins from very restricted times and places. I can not go so far as to place fourrees on equal plane (or higher) but I do believe that any study of ancient numismatics has to address the material that is not fully official whether it is solid, plated or even intentionally better metal than 'official'. We most certainly can study only the official coins and that has been the traditional scholarship method. Any coin that can not be explained can be ignored under these parameters.

Fourrees I like:

Fourree brockage of Hadrian
    rc1980b00211alg.JPG

Very late fourree Alexander from Arados. My coin lacks the OE date in exergue provided by a die duplicate fourree with less core that was removed from two sales when reported to the auction houses. I would love to know if the current owner of that coin knows it is plated or if the owner finally found a dealer who would handle it?
    g71980b00321.jpg

When is half a coin better than whole? When you are a photographer and the coin is fourree! Athens New Style tetradrachm:
    g41335fd2800a.jpg
    Not better than solid gold but the wear pattern on this fourree solidus of Basil II & Constantine VIII is close enough to perfect that the coin gets some credit. Anyone who values their ancient gold according to melt value is an enemy of numismatics.
    rz0470bb0432.jpg
    I still want a good looking gold over silver fourree but will be happy with my ugly one meanwhile.
    rz0455bb1174.jpg
    Those who collect only mint state coins and those who value coins by their melt simply indulge in a different hobby than I do. Today, there are increasing numbers of us that are interested in unofficial but solid metal ancients (another thread for another day). In the 1920's a numismatist identified some strange style denarii of Septimius Severus as products of the mint at Alexandria. Will another century show us that some coins we have classified as barbarous were actually produced at a branch mint? It is nothing short of folly to believe that we, today, have all the answers correct and final unless political forces put an end to the hobby and we return to the Renaissance theory that it was OK to produce replicas like the Paduans when your collection was missing something. Maybe we should call in all the ancient coins and melt them down to produce replicas. Sound stupid? Trajan did it. I don't own one but there are plenty online.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=301355

Paul M., Johndakerftw, Bing and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

To my knowledge, the only fourree I have owned is this Vitellius, which NGC called a plated ancient forgery. I didn't see it, but they know more than I do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

PLATED COINS—FALSE COINS
    M. H. CRAWFORD
    The Numismatic Chronicle (1966-)
    Seventh Series, Vol. 8 (1968), pp. 55-59

I have no interest in them. ... or very little... They speak of commerce in the same way that any other fraud would, the blind horse who knew his way around his own barnyard, for example, or sawdust in the transmission of a used car.

Draft saved Draft deleted