The Ping Test - Video

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SensibleSal66, Apr 13, 2021.

1. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Well this is been talked about but I came across a Utube video on how to perform just how to do this . Before my experience with Coin Talk , I never heard of this test . So, Here you all go . I hope this hasn't been shown before . Take Care, be safe .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I wonder if there's a risk of a rim ding. That middle fake one sounded almost like the real thing.

4. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Gosh, I would never, ever do this, nor recommend it to anyone. You can spin a coin on a hard surface and listen to it ring as it settles onto the surface, without banging on it and dropping it. The test is unreliable anyway, and the more expensive Chinese fakes are silver.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  5. SensibleSal66

@KBBPLL :oops: . That's only what has been recommended here on Coin Talk . Spinning it on a hard surface is how I thought it was done also .:cool:

JeffC likes this.
  6. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I don't know about everyone else, but the "ring test" in this video seems to miss the "ring tone" on more than one occasion, it is also destructive and should not be done on any significant value coins.

JeffC likes this.
  7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Very unscientific.

8. SensibleSal66

I get it , I get it . Bad video :(

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Frankly the first fake ASE sounded better than the real one. And on some attempts the coins didn't ring at all, and you saw that there is the danger of dropping them. It is also more dificult o do with smaller coins because of a larger percentage of th surface being in contact with your finger. This can deaden or dampen the "ping"

SensibleSal66 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted