The Phoenix

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The phoenix (φοῖνιξ) is a mythological bird that has immortality by being endlessly reborn from the ashes of its predecessor.

According to Stevenson's Dictionary of Roman Coins, the phoenix represents either the eternity of the empire or the eternity of the happiness enjoyed by those deceased members of the imperial family who already were placed in the ranks of the immortal gods. Because the phoenix represents renewal and immortality, the mythological bird is one of the attributes of Aeternitas, who personifies eternity and stability.

The phoenix serves this purpose on these bronze issues to honor the deified Faustina I, the wife of Antoninus Pius. Post your coins with a phoenix!

Faustina Sr AETERNITAS Aeternitas seated sestertius.jpg
    Faustina I, AD 138-141.
    Roman orichalcum Sestertius, 26.57 gm, 32.5 mm, 1 h.
    Rome, ca. AD 155-161.
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: AETERNITAS SC, Aeternitas enthroned left, holding phoenix on globe and scepter.
    Refs: RIC 1103Aa, RCV 4606; BMCRE 1482; Cohen 15.

Faustina Sr AETERNITAS Aeternitas seated dupondius.jpg
    Rome, AD 147-161.
    Roman AE as or dupondius, 10.91 gm, 27.3 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, ca. AD 155-161.
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: AETERNITAS SC, Aeternitas enthroned left, holding phoenix on globe and scepter. Refs: RIC 1156; RCV 4637; BMCRE 1549; Cohen 16.

Notes: although dated to AD 147 by Sear, die-linkage studies of the sestertii of DIVA FAVSTINA by Beckmann suggest a date of issue in the late 150s. See Beckmann, Martin. Diva Faustina: Coinage and Cult in Rome and the Provinces. American Numismatic Society, 2012.

dlhill132, benhur767, Ryro and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dirk D

Dirk D Active Member

943b.JPG 943a.JPG
    Antoninus Pius
    Egypt, Alexandria, 142-143 AD. Tetradrachm, BI, 13.40 gr.
    Obv.:CЄB ЄVCЄB ΑΝΤѠΝΙΝΟC; laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of
    Antoninus Pius to the right.
    Rev: ΑΙѠΝ; Radiate, nimbate phoenix standing to the right; across field: Lς (date = RY 6).
    Dattari (Savio) 2432. Acquired from Seaby, London in 1975.

139 AD marked the renewal of the Great Sothic Cycle, a cycle of 1461 years beginning when the star Sothis (Sirius) rises on the same point on the horizon as the sun. This tetradrachm type was initially minted in year 2 (AD 138/139), but was then reintroduced for year 6 of Pius' reign.

benhur767, zumbly, Ryro and 8 others like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's my Constantius II Phoenix, AE 3

Obverse: DN CONSTANTIVS PF AVG, Diademed head right

Reverse: FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Phoenix on globe, star in exergue

pphoenix.jpg

Ryro, ominus1, TIF and 5 others like this.
  5. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

I have two Phoenix on Constans coins. One is authentically genuine. One is a modern copy produced with the intent to deceive. I'll post which is which in a few hours, but I feel confident most of coin talk's collectors-of-ancients will be able to detect the "real deal" from the "fake make". Pre-speculation welcome!
    upload_2018-7-14_13-27-13.png

zumbly, Ryro, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  6. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

Both qualify as RIC VIII Siscia 241. But only the lower is legit (19.4 mm; 2.3 gr.) The upper is the illicit one (18 mm; 3.2 gr.)

Draft saved Draft deleted