The persian dragon

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Muhammad Niazi, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Muhammad Niazi

Muhammad Niazi Well-Known Member

CSC_0033.JPG CSC_0032.JPG

Here is an interesting falus with a dragon depicted on it. Persian and Afhgan falus coins had many animals depicted on them, out of which the dragon is probaly the most uncommon. Dragons weren't a part of folklore and culture of central Asia and Afghan, being mostly dominant in chinese and european culture. This coin which was told to me by the seller to be of safavid origin might have the dragon on it due to intermingling of cultures from the georgian part of the empire. Some persian/ georgian coins do have dragons on them, such as valentine #43,44 :

Screenshot_20201112-192522.jpg

In Falus coins, a dragon is depicted in a hamadan falus, valentine #28 under Persia.

Screenshot_20201112-193416.jpg

There are one or two coins with dragons on zeno.ru as well, one from tehran and one from the iranian qajjar dynasty.

I havent found one similar to mine however, though my guess is it to be a variation of the hamadan falus with the dragon just facing to the left.

Catalogue clippings from: Modern copper coins of the Muhammadan states - W.H. Valentine

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

An area of collecting I know nothing about but it looks interesting. Thanks for the info.

Muhammad Niazi likes this.
  4. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. Interesting info. I have not seen any Central Asian coin with a dragon design before.

5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

That is a really attractive new coin!

Nice pick up.

How many ancient or medieval coins have dragons on them?

I can't think of that many.

John

Muhammad Niazi and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  6. Muhammad Niazi

I guess this prompts a "share your coins with dragons on them"

Theodosius, +VGO.DVCKS and Kentucky like this.
  7. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Awesome coin! Those civic coppers are very enigmatic, but don't be fooled. These are modern coins issued around the mid to late 1800s. The Indian sub-continent is full of these "ancient/medieval" looking, modern coins...

Theodosius and Muhammad Niazi like this.
  8. Muhammad Niazi

Yea, they are relatively modern, but I love the ancients forum community more for these ancient looking coins haha.

9. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Not that I am complaining. I love these cast and hammered coins from that area and time period, but mine isn't as cool as yours:

Afghanistan: Anonymous Civic Copper (1245 AH) AE Falus (Undocumented)

[​IMG]

10. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

That's a great coin. Amazingly, a very good strike. Whitehead is a very handy book to have. I do have a small collection of Afghan falus', that one is a winner.
    Thanks for the post.

11. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Terrific coin, @Muhammad Niazi. I'm as ignorant as anyone here about the series, but your observations about the likely cultural dynamics are richly evocative.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  12. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

The mint name likely begins with the letter ا (alif), perhaps Iravan/ Yerevan (ايروان)? The text reads from the bottom with ظرب ("was struck") and فلوس ("falus") reasonably clear. The letter ا is prominent at lower right. Most of the mint name and date, if any, is lost. I don't think Hamadan is possible.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    +VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  13. Muhammad Niazi

Good observation, zarb and falus were visible yes, the rest is off flan

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  14. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I think most people here appreciate hand made coins whatever age they are. I know I do, they have more character and individuality than machine produced coins.

John

Quant.Geek and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  15. +VGO.DVCKS

...YIPES! I FINALLY found the pics of the one medieval coin with a dragon I know of. (Well, all you get here are the tail and hind legs --but it's better than one I've seen on academia.edu.)
    COINS, GERMANY, BAYERN, REGENSBERG, HEINRICH X, DRAGON.JPG
    Duchy of Bavaria, Heinrich X the Proud, denar of Regensburg. (Dealer's pics.)
    Rev. Warrior with nasal helmet, Norman-style, 'kite-shaped' shield and sword fighting a dragon, to left.
    Obv. Duke standing facing, with banner and shield.
    Cf. this article (waaaay down; the pages are unnumbered,so you'd have to really trawl for it): https://www.academia.edu/24323600/Medieval_Coins_of_Bavaria
    (...Better late than never, I guess! A whole slew of my older pics are saved under "Camera Uploads;" labelling all of them will be a project!)

Alegandron and Johndakerftw like this.
  16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

What a fantastic coin!!

A couple dragons, the first an Anglo Saxon sceat, and the second a Milanese grosso:

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 6.11.05 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 6.11.33 PM.jpg

17. +VGO.DVCKS

@Severus Alexander, yours are Brilliant! --Of Course, the Milanese stuff, with the serpent of the Visconti! ...Gotta feel sorry for the little kid who's getting eaten.
    But your sceat powerfully evokes the dragon motif in Germanic folklore, early enough to be common to Anglo-Saxon England, Scandinavia, medieval Germany, ...and (even! --no fan) Wagner.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

DRAGON?

[​IMG]
    Macedon, Amphipolis
    AE Semis, 21mm, 9.0g, 12h; 187-31BC
    Obv.: Laureate head of Zeus right.
    Rev.: AMΦIΠO / ΛITΩN; prow right, S to left, monograms to right.
    Reference: cf. SNG Cop 69 / Rare
    Ex: @John Anthony
    COMMENT: This is minted by locals in Amphipolis during the Roman Republic control of Macedonia. Clearly inspired by RR bronze types, with the local variations of a very long-necked figurehead

Johndakerftw, +VGO.DVCKS and Bing like this.
  19. +VGO.DVCKS

...Hmmm(pause)mmm.... You think that, being Macedonians and all, provincial as they were, before and after that little burp involving those pesky Philips and Alexanders, they were misinterpreting the whole motif?

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I doubt that they would had put a Giraffe on the prow...
    :)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  21. +VGO.DVCKS

LOL
    Or made the whole thing into an an elephant, which was more where I was going the first time....
    --No, I know! it's some kind of fearsome, heretofore unrecorded aquatic Beast!

Draft saved Draft deleted