The Perfect Coin.....Or As Close As You can Get !

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bear32211, Apr 22, 2015.

1. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

I want to 'Post' this to all. Is there the perfect coin out there. Can be a US coin, a penny, a dollar. Just a good question to see what is out there. What is the highest grade? Here is one I have. A 1992 S Roosevelt PR69DCAM. Let's see yours and how you got it. Thanks. DSC08335.JPG DSC08331.JPG

silverbullion likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I've had two PF70UCAM's, but I sold them. Does anyone have an MS70?

Chris

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

There are countless moderns graded MS70 and PR70. Whether these are any more perfect than the PR69 you show leads us to the "70 paradox." A coin is only worth 70 money (which is usually multiples of 69 money) if in a TPG holder. Up until quite recently, the TPGs excluded the 70 grade from crossovers, because they couldn't tell a coin was really a 70 while it was in the holder. So according to the grading services, you weren't able to appreciate the "70-ness" of a coin once it was graded 70.

5. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

IMO the difference between a 69 and a 70 depends on how well the grader is feeling on the particular morning he looks at your coin.

Paddy54, micbraun, Mojavedave and 2 others like this.
  6. cpm9ball

I remember quite a few years ago, one of the dealers at a local coin show was complaining that NGC had screwed him on a pair of the 1995-W PF SAE's by grading them 69UCAM. Since I had never seen one of these in hand, I asked if I could look at them. I counted 5 very tiny ticks in the cameo of one and 4 in the other. When I told him that I believed they were graded accurately, he grumbled and grabbed them out of my hand.

Chris

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Or if he is back from a liquid lunch

8. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

People have a hard time being objective about their own coins.

Paul M. likes this.
  9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

This is news to me, and ironic in the extreme. A few years ago I bought a set of PR69 and PR70 Kennedy's, same dates and mints, to see if I could discern the difference between the grades. In half the cases I could, although the differences were so minor they could easily have been debated. I did indeed find it difficult to view the surface of the coins through the thick plastic, and found that large pics were actually more helpful.

bear32211 likes this.
  10. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

As a follow-up on my post. Those of you who see marks on my coin, it is marks on the plastic outside not on the coin, so should I have it redone or is it ok the way it is ?

11. cpm9ball

Actually, I find it rather easy to spot the difference. Using a 10x loupe, if I tilt the coin back and forth in the light, tiny marks no larger than a pinpoint will glisten even if the coin is in a slab. Unfortunately, most graders don't have the luxury of taking as much time as I do.

Chris

12. cpm9ball

I would never try to distinguish between a 69 & 70 from photos. You're in a better position to make this determination since you have the coin in hand.

Chris

bear32211 likes this.
  13. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I agree with this, although you may be able to tell if a coin in NOT a 70 from a photo, there is no way to tell if one IS.

bear32211 likes this.
  14. cpm9ball

Well, I wouldn't say that. If I couldn't find one single mark anywhere on the coin, my first reaction would be that the grader might have goofed.

@Treashunt
    We just can't assume that he was out to lunch with Frank.

Chris

bear32211 likes this.
  15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Redone? No... think about this from a cost vs. return standpoint: recent completed eBay listings show this type/date/mint/comp often selling from $12-$15 in PCGS70 holders, so considering what you already have into it added to however much it would cost in total for the review, I can see no way for you to end up anywhere but in the hole if you tried, and this is even IF it upgraded.

The fact is that while there are many coins where getting them into the "right" holder can be both important and a big deal, this particular coin (as well as most coins in general) simply isn't one of them. Enjoy it as-is and for what it is... and not for what the label tells you.

bear32211 likes this.
  16. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

IMO... no such coin as a MS/PR 68-70. The dealers whom are selling these modern coins don't ever wanna buy them back from their customers.

bear32211 likes this.
  17. cpm9ball

So, you're saying that any coin graded 68, 69 or 70 should actually be a 67?

Chris

18. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

And if so why would they have the extra grades if you are not suppose to use them. It is like going to school and saying the grades are A-F but we don't give out A's and B's

19. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

They do do that. They call it "grading on a curve" and I equate it to "market grading."

An example I've seen discussed here would be two high value coins with the same numerical grade on the holder but a vast difference in eye appeal with low population or none in higher grade, and that single grade represents thousands of dollars or more.

Does that seem a viable comparison?

bear32211 likes this.
  20. cpm9ball

I thought the bell curve for grading dictates that most will get average grades, some will get below average grades and some will get above average grades.

Chris

bear32211 likes this.
  21. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Yup, b/c if you use a high power magnifier none of these coins will appear perfect.

bear32211 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted