The PCGS Price Guide prices apply only to PCGS-graded coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Asher, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Asher

Asher Active Member

I don't know why/how people on eBay price their coins. Every dealer has their process. But when I started shopping for a raw/OGP 2001-D $1 Buffalo silver commemorative (regular strike, not proof), I'm seeing prices for non-slabbed coins commensurate with prices on the PCGS price guide.

eBay's Current Listings

From PCGS Price Guide:

6064656667 686970
    $90$90$95$95$95$100$125$275

john65999 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

That means that dealers are overpricing their coins. Nothing new there.

C-B-D, MK Ultra, wxcoin and 2 others like this.
  4. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i use numismedia because the prices are lower, if i was buying for a collection i would prefer lesser prices, so that is what i do for my customers, and on slabbed pf70 and such i take 15 to 35% off the price
    almost all other coins are at 75% of numismedia,. i lower the price since postage makes it cost more for the customer, so i lower my prices to include shipping cost as well

5. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I look at recent auction prices from major auction companies like Heritage and Great Collections if the coin is in a PCGS or NGC slab. If the coin is raw I ask myself, what's wrong with it if it's a higher value coin. Unless I see the coin in person I'll pass on it in most instances. If I do bid on a raw coin I'm taking a risk that it's a problem coin (cleaned). My bid will reflect that.

GoldFinger1969 and john65999 like this.
  6. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

I've only recently started selling some of lower-graded coins/duplicates...mostly ANACS/ICG. I look at price guides for PCGS/NGC, recent auction prices, and ebay prices...then I kinda just avergae that altogether and that's what I sell it at. Seems to work, tho there are those who do their utmost to buy out from under me...even though "Best Offer" is not an option. They offer like 1/3 of what I'm asking. I try to be nice...but I like to think that my coins will be enjoyed in somene else's collection and not a means as money in their pocket. Of course...they can if they want - but...not gonna make it off me :) Sorry if this sounds rough to some..

7. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Once in a while I'll buy a coin in an ICG or ANACS slab. If I do I usually crack it out and either put it in one of my Dansco albums or send it to PCGS or NCG. I've had mixed results when resubmitting to PCGS or NGC; especially with IHC cents!

Tusky Ranger likes this.
  8. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I value my coins by an average of price guides and price the coin and not the holder. I don't care who the grader is...If it's priced right...buy the coin and not the holder.

bud250r likes this.
  9. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

Absolutely!!

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

With many of the modern commemoratives, raw in original packaging and MS/PF 69 prices tend to be nearly identical. The market only adds a premium for 70s (in large part since it's expected that most raws will be at least 69s).

Thus you will see very small price spreads when searching for something like the 2001 Buffalo slabbed as a 69 or raw. There are people on eBay that have optimistic pricing, but if you are patient, you will find one for a fair price (via auction or a buy it now).

mlov43, Asher and wxcoin like this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Graders are hard on IHC's. I believe it's because most high points on them, including the date, are heavily worn. Just my opinion.

wxcoin likes this.
  12. Asher

Asher Active Member

That's a great quote but I don't want a holder, just the coin and holdered coins cost more!

13. Asher

Asher Active Member

Thanks for the most helpful answer.

wxcoin and ddddd like this.
  14. Asher

Asher Active Member

As a final aside, when I used NumisMedia, the 2001-D Buffalo is the most recent silver comemorativ to be priced out of the $30-$40 range. It's $100.

15. BJBII

BJBII Metrologist, CSSBB

It's a huge matter of choice. Primarily, I am not buying coins to re-sell.
    I have bought coins that I was sure were a bit overpriced because of the grading company and grade. But, you know, what the heart wants . . . .

16. MK Ultra

MK Ultra Well-Known Member

I asked a dealer recently what they use to price their coins. They wouldn't tell me, and IMHO they were fantastically over priced. He was an unusual character in so many other ways too, I was looking at slabbed coins and he said, there's a list on top of the box.

I did chat with him for a bit, but I would be surprised if I ever bought from them at future shows.

17. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

It's not as quick as the other sites, but it is THE BEST price guide because it reflects actual and recent sales.

I do find the PCGS and NGC price charts useful for the TREND going back a few months and years to be useful.
    But no way would I rely on them for recent pricing especially for a coin that is going to be 4-figures and up.

18. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

i use the PCGS price guide as a idea of the values of my coins i keep

now selling coins i use current coin books on both raw and graded coins

Dimedude2 likes this.
  19. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

20 years ago the price was double that!

20. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

The 2001 Buffalo modern commem has usually been on higher price end for that set. I doubt it has ever been in the 30 to 40 dollar range.

21. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

When I was a seller I set my own prices. PCGS guide said $75, I sold for $4,500. HA sale for similar grade went off at $1,600, mine sold for more than double that. I once had a low grade raw coin and asked for pricing help. $100-$200 was suggested by everybody….Sold for near $800. Point is, using other people numbers can be a costly mistake.

Draft saved Draft deleted