The Passing of David Murrey

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

https://www.baue.com/obit/david-m-murrey/#.WIve9fOlD1Q.mailto

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the sudden and unexpected passing of a friend, numismatist and dealer. Just this past Wednesday evening I was having the usual Facebook conversation with one of my favorite dealers. David Murrey. He did not respond to a message on Thursday afternoon and Friday morning I heard of his passing from one of his family members.

He ran Tyche Numismatics and often supplied me coins for my collection and resale. He was a fun loving guy who had a wealth of knowledge of Greek and Roman coins and he will be terribly missed.

I encourage those out there to honor him and show those coin you acquired from him. I will show some of my favorites acquired from him.

AuggieTycheC2.jpg

CRABC.jpg
    KrotonNomos.jpg
    axumcc.jpg

silverbullion, Jwt708, TJC and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Nate, thank you for this thread. I will be attending the visitation on Monday after work. Dave was only 41 years old. Just tragic.

Along with my fellow members of the St. Louis Ancient Coin Study Group, I have been reeling since we received word of our leader's passing on Wednesday. We had our last meeting with Dave only a week ago. Dave was a gentle giant, quiet, funny, and kind. And, where coins and history are concerned, absolutely brilliant.

As a transplant to St. Louis (my wife and I moved here in 2000), I felt a bit like a fish out of water. I knew practically no one beyond my coworkers and students, and given that this was really before online forums like CT took off, I thought I was really isolated as far as my passion for ancient coins was concerned. I was delighted to learn of the ACSG that Dave led, and it was he who introduced me to the group - this must have been around 2003 or thereabouts. I have attended meetings ever since - every single one of those meetings being organized by Dave.

Every serious Parthian collector must have a copy of David Sellwood's "The Coinage of Parthia." It was Dave who sold me my copy, which had been his before. As important as that book has been to me since that transaction, it has acquired more importance this week since it used to belong to my now departed friend.

It was Dave who got me interested in Kushans, after one of his many spectacular lectures and show-and-tells. It was Dave who provided me with the most memorable coin-related moment of my life: Dave went to school for art history at Washington University in St. Louis some years ago. While he was a student there he was responsible for documenting the coins from the John Max Wulfing Collection...consisting of about 14,000 ancient coins, all in spectacular shape. Dave was kind enough to give me a private viewing of that collection. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget - both because of the remarkable coins, but also because of Dave's thoughtfulness.

My ex-Dave Murrey-collection copy of Sellwood, below. No eye candy in the coins below it. But they are special since they were purchased from my friend.

sw_daves.jpg
    normal_Van__t_Haaff_14_6_1-3b_Phraates_drachm.jpg
    normal_Sellwood_61_2_Artabanos_II_tetradrachm.jpg
    Kanishka I tetradrachm d.jpg

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Sad to hear when one of our own passes away. He was only 4 years older then me too. Too young.

silverbullion and Ancientnoob like this.
  5. SKI

SKI Ooka Echizen Kawayama San

Sad news indeed. He will be missed.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I am very saddened to hear of his passing. My thoughts are with his Family, Friends, and those who cared for him. Too young, too soon.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That's an understatement. My condolences to his family and friends.

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Man, I'm sorry to hear that guys. I don't think I had purchased anything from him or had any contact with him. i remember bob telling about getting to view that private collection, sounds like he was a really cool guy.

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very sorry to hear.

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

11. silverbullion

silverbullion Active Member

I didn't know David, but would like to extend my deepest condolences to his family and friends. It seems that he was an outstanding guy - may his spirit lives on inside of those he touched. May you meet again.

The hour of departure has arrived and we go our ways; I to die, and you to live. Which is better? Only God knows.

Socrates (BC 469-BC 399) Greek philosopher of Athens

stevex6 likes this.
  12. stlnats

stlnats Active Member

A truly nice guy. I knew him only from the ACSG and STL area shows, but the comments on his obit shows he had a much larger and more important impact among the students and staff of Timberland HS where he worked. A wonderful tribute and he will be missed.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    silverbullion, Ancientnoob and Bob L. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted