Featured The Palatine Museum. An emperor's bust.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

When in Rome collectors will want to see the Coliseum and the Forum. Near, but not in, the Forum is the Capitoline museum with its hall of imperial busts, which I highly recommend. But that is something else. This post focuses on the Palatine Museum.
    The ticket to the Coliseum and Forum includes entry to the Palatine, which is the hill where the emperors had their palaces. There is a great deal of beautiful space on the Palatine. I was there last week. (Yes, it was November and, as often happens, it rained a great deal in the afternoon, but we got lucky and saw these sites in the morning before the rain.) There were probably 20 tourists on the Forum for every one visiting the peaceful Palatine, with its wonderful overlook of the Forum.

ForumOverlook.jpg

When you get down to the level of the Forum, you can look back up and see where you were (way at the top):

Overlookfrombelow.jpg

It is easy to walk right past the Palatine Museum, which is well off the main pathway across the Palatine. It is devoted to the story of the Palatine Hill. I almost didn't go in, but then decided to and was rewarded with quite a few busts of emperors. I took photos in right profile as much as I could.

At first I will not identify the emperor in the photo. I invite you, not to blurt out who it is, but to post of coin of that emperor (without identifying the emperor). Then, after a few photos have been posted I will confirm who the bust was attributed to. Then I will move on to another bust.

IMG_0421Palatine1.jpg

Post a coin of this Roman (at least, who you think it is). DO NOT say who it is. (You may attribute your coin in every way but naming the person.) After a few replies I'll post the attribution and another bust from the Palatine Museum.

shanxi, TheRed, savitale and 22 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

This coin looks like the same kid :smuggrin:.

Guess who.jpg

TheRed, galba68, Alegandron and 9 others like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

if that ain't a match, even to the wear, i'll eat my hat...:)

Attached Files:

7. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I'll go out on a limb...

Severus Alexander caesar priestly implements.jpg

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

To me he actually looks more like
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-27 um 14.53.46.png
    than like
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-27 um 14.51.41.png

10. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

11. Valentinian

Well, I agree the bust is not very distinctive, but they thought it was Gordian III. Remember, most ancient busts lack the original nose because it broke off sometime between antiquity and modern times. If they have a nose, it has usually been restored. Almost all ancient Roman busts lack an original identifying inscription. That means modern scholars have guessed who it is from coin profiles and reconstructed a nose to match the coins.

Here is the next bust from the Palatine Museum. Please post a coin of the emperor (at least, who you think it is), but do not identify the emperor.

Palatine2.JPG

(You may attribute your coin in every way but naming the person.) After a few replies I'll post the attribution and another bust from the Palatine Museum.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  12. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I'd recognize that neckbeard from orbit

Gallienus pax avg.jpg

13. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

It’s amazing how easy it is to nail that second one even with the terrible coin workmanship and at the time. You’re right... it’s that neck beard. There’s only one emperor with better neck beard style.

galba68 and Theodosius like this.
  14. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-27 um 18.08.30.png

... but the OP bust certainly has Hostilian´s nose NOW :)

15. Roman Collector

I'd recognize that neck-beard anywhere!

[​IMG]

TheRed, galba68, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

17. Nathan401

18. Nathan401

19. Valentinian

This is going pretty quickly. I expect some of you are not following CT both mornings and evenings, but I think a few responses is enough, so I am moving on.

The second bust was of Gallienus.

Here is the third bust from the Palatine Museum. Please post a coin of the Roman (at least, who you think it is), but do not identify the Roman.

Patatine3.jpg

(You may attribute your coin in every way but naming the person.) After a few replies I'll post the attribution and another bust from the Palatine Museum.

TheRed, galba68, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  20. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Billon Tetradrachm of Alexandria

salonina1.jpg

salonina2.jpg

TheRed, galba68, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
  21. Roman Collector

This is my answer:

[​IMG]

TheRed, galba68, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted