The other Miles!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Milesofwho, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

My first thread, a little over three years ago, was about a penny of King John from 1205-09 minted in Winchester, which had a moneyer by the name of Miles. At the same time in Oxford, there was another Miles. John is the only monarch to have any moneyers named Miles, and those two are the only ones. Thus, my three-year saga has ended. 2DAFBF1B-7879-4C6D-A78D-E2607389068C.jpeg 553AA6F0-83BB-415D-9E01-FBC48685DD0F.jpeg The abbreviated mint name on the reverse is spelled OSCE instead of the modern equivalent Ox. I have actually visited Oxford before, and the Ashmolean has a display showing various coins struck in Oxford. On a different tangent, I have not come up with many ancients this year, instead focusing on some world coins and banknotes. I’ll eventually post those and link them here for those interested. If anyone has any other John coins, please post them! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a penny collection based around moneyers before.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't collect these but I have no interest in coin that do not show the moneyer. I understand many people are more interested in catalog numbers. My only whole penny is one of the two London moneyers named Willelm so we get a last initial L.

John AR penny / WILLELM.L ON LV
    v01640fd1214.jpg

I am fond of cut pennies if they still allow ID. In some cases you can assume a lot of the missing letters because there is only one answer that fits what remains.

This half only has a piece of the M from Willelm but the .L. shows that this is a match for the whole penny above.
    v00298fd3451.jpg

John / RENER (only from London)
    v00298fd3266.jpg

My favorite John is the cut farthing with only two letters but WA makes it Walter of London. Walter worked for John and Henry III. Is there enough of the obverse to confirm this as John rather than Henry III?
    v00299fd2985.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted