The Origins of Quarantine and a Contemporaneous Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Very cool @Only a Poor Old Man . It is always fun to see what other historical items fellow ancient coin collectors choose to collect.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great write-up, PICS!, and coin! @Curtisimo ... THANK YOU!

Here is one from a little afterward:

upload_2020-11-3_12-38-56.png
    Ottoman Turks Sultan Mahmed II 1451-1481 took Constantinople in 1453 Serez mint AR 1.2g

4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Very nice addition Brian. Your collection is so broad that you can pretty much post something cool and relevant to any thread!... I’m not jealous though :wideyed::sour::D:p

Alegandron likes this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you. :)

Curtisimo likes this.
  6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

A terrible contrasting approach to the plague was taken by the issuer of this bracteate pfennig, Bishop Johann II Senn von Münsingen (1335-1365) in Basel. He decided the plague was the Jews' fault, extracted some confessions by torture and presided over a dreadful persecution. Jews were also forbidden from entering the city for 200 years.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 1.55.03 PM.jpg

As you know, your OP type is on my want list. Haven't managed to acquire one yet... maybe because yours is such a beauty it has spoiled me for the rest of 'em! :D

Edessa, Bing, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Fantastic coin SA. Very sad back story however.

As far as adding a Ragusa type to your collection I am sure that with your eye for quality when you do get one it will be an excellent example of the type.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My only Ragusa item is a AR tallero (1 1/2 ducat) of 1776. Someone gave this well used coin to me many years ago and I do not remember the details. The legend identifies the person as a Rector of the Republic but does not give a name. Ragusa was a strict aristocracy ruled by a few families. Perhaps everyone was supposed to know who he was. I don't.
    0rhagusa1776.jpg

Johndakerftw, Curtisimo and Edessa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted