The One That Got Away

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gregg, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

I check eBay every here and again for new 'Buy Now' listings.
    To my surprise 5 Peace Dollars in a Whitman folder came up for $50.00 delivered.
    I slapped the keyboard like I was having an epileptic fit but I was too slow.
    It was gone.

When a new listing comes on eBay where the price is absurd you literally have seconds to grab it or it is gone.

Anyone else lose out on a deal like that?

Robert91791 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

That is so funny. You will have another opportunity i'm sure.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

Not to that extent, but have lost more than a few in the last seconds bidding frenzy before time expires on auctions. Those will test your commitment to that max price you set for yourself every time.

spirityoda likes this.
  5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I do this all the time. One time, a brand new listing popped up for a gold half eagle. I can't remember the year exactly, 1880s or something. The BIN price was like $85 and I snatched right up knowing full well it was probably a mistake. Sure enough the seller cancelled on me saying it was supposed to be a 9 day auction and $85 was the starting price. The seller refunded, me the money and sent 5 bucks extra for the trouble. Didn't get a gold coin but made $5 for nothing.

One of my better purchases on a brand new listing was a 1937 Walking half dollar. It was beautiful. $35 shipped. Had it for a few years and got it graded by NGC. Came back as MS-66+. Sold it for $330.

6. alk1129

alk1129 Member

When y'all search for these do you drill down to the specific coins or do you just type in US Coins. When I type in the latter I get a ton of spam listings.

7. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

I only search on Peace Dollar, Buy It Now, New Listings.

alk1129 likes this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

It would be a shame if they all turned out to be Chinese counterfeits.

YoloBagels and alk1129 like this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...maybe I should try that...

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

is there a "new listings" button ?

11. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

right up there in the drop down with "best match", "ending soonest", and others.

12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

It's a search filter option

spirityoda likes this.
  13. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Stay away from my #$%@! Peace Dollars!

NSP, ToughCOINS, Evan8 and 3 others like this.
  14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I used to do that too but some rat always beat me to them. :wacky:

NSP, ToughCOINS, *coins and 4 others like this.
  15. Evan8

This would explain why i cant ever get a Peace Dollar using this method. I figured I wasnt the only one lol

Gregg and alk1129 like this.
  16. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

I bought a 1922 no d cent on eBay for $25 and sold it for $225 last night.

After years of trying different searches and keywords, I have my search down and get extremely good deals daily, mostly from newbie eBay sellers who don't know what the coins they are selling are worth.

There are like 2 other people I know of who have figured it out as well. One is on constantly...I have emailed him before and he is really nice. Maybe it is someone who posts here. :D I'm always trying to beat him to the good deals.

I make tons of offers on Peace and Morgan dollars and are newly listed, just to see if people want to get rid of them. I almost never get my offers on them accepted. I however do get almost every proof set I make an offer on. I bought a 2012 clad proof set for $30 the other day. :)

17. Evan8

Whoa hold on. I didnt mean newly listed BIN searches. You guys would be much better off searching the ending soonest filter. Much better luck there;)

Gregg, alk1129 and Kentucky like this.
  18. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'm sure, but I've got a story about the one that got away after I got it in the boat.

Circa 2008 I saw a raw 1852-C half eagle come up on eBay for $1999 Buy it Now, and it looked all of MS62 to me, with a shot at MS63. I responded just like you did . . . frantically. I was mousing as fast as possible to get deep into the seller's feedback and then back to the BIN button.

Now $2000 was pushing my comfort zone pretty hard at the time, so I was breaking into a cold sweat after committing, but I was very glad to have done so. That figure seemed too low for sure. I returned to the images for a re-examination, and convinced myself I'd done the right thing. The coin was struck with rusted dies, but looked just as I'd remembered.

After paying, I returned to seek more coins, and bought a solidly gem BU 1907 $2.50 Lib from the same seller for $299. Another coin listed too cheap. I was beginning to wonder if the seller was committing some kind of fraud. I dug deeper into the seller's feedback a second time, then revisited those photos and committed again. Doubt was creeping into my mind, but I ignored it.

Well, I got the two coins, submitted them, and got great grades . . . MS62 & MS65 respectively. I was in the money in a pretty big way . . . I've never scored so big either before or since.

I sold the quarter eagle within a month, but held out longer on the Half Eagle because I was convinced it would regrade MS63.

Oh yeah, the part about losing the big one after getting it in the boat? Some of you know I lost nearly my entire inventory in a burglary in 2009 . . . Yep that coin was among them.

I'm sometimes tempted to say "easy come, easy go", but then I remember that I still had $2000 in that coin.

Omegaraptor, Gregg, Kentucky and 3 others like this.
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

: - (

Draft saved Draft deleted