The Omega Man counterfeits is about to become a thing again.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by spegtacular, Jul 27, 2020.

1. spegtacular

spegtacular New Member

I apologize for not getting this together sooner, but too much happened in 2020. I wanted to get this info out before I couldn’t... I know that doesn’t make sense but to me, it makes perfect sense.

tell me your thoughts on my findings... am I crazy like the last guy who said he had some info on here? To my knowledge, nobody has never suggested this person.

Thanks for your time,
    Speg

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I cannot remember for certain. Did we ever have any evidence if the Omega fakes were related to Lebanese fakes? There was a large industry faking US gold in Lebanon at the time. Another possible suspect would be someone there who had experience making good US fakes simply making great ones.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Thanks for sharing your research with us. You have produced a very entertaining video with a little more value than the usual stuff seen on the internet. I'll suggest you make a few corrections if you produce an update.

1. None of these coins were ever certified as genuine by any authentication service. That's because at the time there was only one authentication service and we exposed the coins as counterfeits.

2. The "mark" has a virtually horizontal base line with a closed loop above. It looks nothing like a GR. The Mint director never saw the discovery pieces. The "mark" got its name from Charles Hoskins, the director of the authentication service.

3. The coins were not produced in a mold. While the Franklin Mint could have produced the counterfeit by making a TRANSFER DIE from a genuine coin as was done to make these fakes, I find it very unlikely that any of their resources or their employees were involved. Therefore It is more likely that Kilroy made them than the Chief Engraver. Counterfeiting is a serious business.

4. It would be interesting to analyze the actual fineness of these fakes. We never did. I should suspect they may not be .900 fine due to their poor color.

IMO, there is a more plausible theory that was discussed in length on the Collectors Universe US Coin Forum.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  5. spegtacular

spegtacular New Member

Some thoughts towards your statements and thank you for checking it out as you are a star within the video:

fair enough. I disagree. :) I have seen that “story”

GoldFinger1969 and Insider like this.
  6. Insider

spegtacular,

Fake gold was crude in the late 60's and early seventies. You could tell a fake by its color alone. The fakes were produced in the Mediterranean area. One of the ANA Presidents actually visited a factory where counterfeit US gold coins were being produced using the identical coin press used by our Mint. Chuck and I joked that we could have gone over there and taught them how to make excellent fakes.

In the early 1970's the quality of the C/F's we saw took a big jump. The two Omega coins and gold dollars that we believed were also signed hit the market. They all have the same characteristics so they are in the in the same "family."

So if your theory is correct, Mr. Roberts would have produced thousands of $20, $3, and $1 gold coins using equipment from somewhere. Did he leave the US after he retired? Otherwise, where else besides the Franklin Mint would he get the material and the equipment to ruin his reputation and break the law?

You can believe whatever you wish but TTTT's story on Collectors Universe makes more sense to me and that may also be just another good story. ;)

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I don't know the other story sir, but do you believe Omega is related to Lebanese issues, and they simply got better? I believe I heard that as an industry belief at the time about 30+ years ago.

8. Insider

That's what we thought happened. Then in the 70's Lebanon had wars which seemed to shut down the counterfeiting. I don't know which country filled the demand after that.

PS The Franklin Mint could have done a much better job if they were responsible for the "Omega family."

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted