The Oitaioi... a Lion and Herakles

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Jul 26, 2016.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Another little Greek pickup, one of my favorites so far this year. The wonderfully-styled lion's head carrying a spear in its jaws is an arresting, if somewhat inscrutable, choice for a city badge, and I admit the main reason I was drawn to it. The Herakles reverse, though, is where more of the tale of the Oitaioi and their city is told...

In 426 BC, five years after the Peloponnesian War began, the Spartans established a colony at Trachis, four miles west of Thermopylae, renaming it Herakleia Trachinia, after the demigod Herakles. It was the hope of the Spartans that the strategic location of the city would serve them in their war against the Athenians. Their dominion over the city, however, proved to be short-lived. In 409 BC, the Spartan harmost (military governor) of Herakleia, Labotas and seven hundred of his soldiers died in a battle against the Oitaioi, a mountain tribe that lived on nearby Mount Oita. Then, in 394 BC, an army from Thebes and Argos captured Herakleia and slaughtered all the Spartans they could find living there. Thereafter, the Spartans may have regained control over the city briefly, but by 370 BC, they had been completely ousted.

At around 350 BC, the city passed from the hands of the Trachinians to the Oitaioi. The coins that were being struck in the city at the time already bore the device of the lion's head on the obverse and attributes of Herakles on the reverse. The Oitaioi continued with the lion's head device, gave it more artistry, and placed on the reverse a distinctive standing young Herakles holding a club in both hands. There had long been a veneration of Herakles in the region, notably at Mount Oita, where, according to legend, Herakles, poisoned by a tunic stained with hydra's blood given to him by his wife Deianira (she didn't know that it was poisoned, but good to note - beware wives bearing strange shirts!), had uprooted trees to build his own funeral pyre before dying of the poison. Archaeological digs on Mount Oita have discovered evidence of a cult dating to at least the 6th century BC worshipping there, with finds including burnt figurines, pottery inscribed 'to Herakles' and small bronze statues of Herakles.

The Oitaioi continued striking coins at Herakleia Trachinia well into the 2nd century BC, but not always with these types.

Feel free to post your coins of the Oitaioi, Thessaly or Herakles.

upload_2016-7-26_21-37-55.png
    THESSALY, The Oitaioi
    AR Hemidrachm. 2.75g, 16.3mm. THESSALY, The Oitaioi, Herakleia Trachinia, circa 360-344 BC. Valassiadis 1; BCD Thessaly I 1211 (same rev. die); BCD Thessaly II 487 (same rev. die); HGC 4, 129 (same obv. die as illustration). O: Head of lion left, with spear in jaws. R: OIT-[AO]N (retrograde), Herakles standing facing, holding club.
    Ex BCD Collection, his tag noting "W. of C'm Hd" (West of Cierium Hoard)

Ancientnoob, rg3, stevex6 and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That lion head is very cool!

How about a Herakles I haven't shared:

[​IMG]
    Pisidia, Selge.
    Æ12, 2.4g, 7h; 2nd-1st centuries BC
    Obv.: Laureate and bearded head of Herakles facing, lion-skin around neck; club to left.
    Rev.: Forepart of stag right, head left.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coin, love the lion head on it. Don't see it like that too often.

zumbly likes this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have NO Oitaioi or Thessaly; only Herakles:

Makedonon Kassander 316-297 BCE AE15 Herakles Lion reclining SNG Cop 1140.JPG

Makedonon Kassander 316-297 BCE AE15 Herakles Lion reclining SNG Cop 1140

Makedonon AE 20 Kassander 319-297 BC Herakles Horse prancing S 6754 var SNG Cop 1142 O-R.JPG
    Makedonon AE 20 Kassander 319-297 BC Herakles Horse prancing S 6754 var SNG Cop 1142

upload_2016-7-26_10-16-23.png
    Makedonon Antigonos I Monopthalmus 319-305 BC AR Drachm Magnesia and Maeandrum Mint 3.9g 16.5mm Herakles lion-Zeus

Makedono - Kassander 319-297 BCE AE 20 Herakles  - Youth on Horse prancing SG 6754 O-R.JPG
    Makedonon - Kassander 319-297 BCE AE 20 Herakles - Youth on Horse prancing SG 6754

Frentani - Larinum AE 18mm Quadrans 210-175 BCE Herakles - Centaur SNG COP 272 Obv-Rev.JPG
    Frentani - Larinum AE 18mm Quadrans 210-175 BCE Herakles - Centaur SNG COP 272
    Comments: The Frentani were related to the Samnites, but were on the Adriatic Coast and not in the Mountains.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i've always thought that lion head/spear obverse was pretty awsome...nice Z.

here's an imitative herakles from a bit to the north, and a century or so later.

[​IMG]

CELTIC, Lower Danube, Uncertain tribe. 2nd century B.C. AR Drachm

O: Head of Herakles wearing lionskin headdress knotted at throat, right. R: Zeus enthroned holding eagle. 17mm 3.42g Lanz 939. Ex Mat collection!

7. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I think @TIF has a nice Oitaioi. ;-)

TIF and zumbly like this.
  8. zumbly

Nice... these Selge Herakles are really interesting.

9. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Don't have any from Oitaioi, but do have some coins of Herakles.

[​IMG]
    Kings of Macedonia, Kassander
    39-297 B.C. / AE18, 4.45g
    O: Head of Heracles right, wearing lion skin headdress
    R: KASSAN-DROU above lion, lying right, EY in right field
    AMNG 1

10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW @zumbly !!!! LOVE that unusual spear in lion mouths device---SO COOL!!

Well, I have this Tet of Herakles (Thasian) from Macedonia with the Dionysos obverse---
    RR TET Macedonia.jpg

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

@zumbly that is one of the best, if not the best, lion representation on a coin that I've ever seen.

Jwt708, Okidoki and zumbly like this.
  12. zumbly

It is a very striking representation for sure. It's interesting to compare it with the more conventional head in profile style on obols issued at the same city before the Oitaioi took it over. Here's an example (not my coin):

image.jpeg

13. Bing

I'll take one of each or either or, but the lion on the OP coin is fantastic.

Jwt708 likes this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I do indeed.

I also have a computer with a cracked an unusuable screen and won't be on CoinTalk much until it is repaired, nor will I be able to edit coin tie pictures or much of anything else :( :( :(.

Here's my Oitaioi with excellent pedigree:

[​IMG]
    THESSALY, The Oitaioi
    167-146 BCE
    AR Hemidrachm (15mm, 2.30 g, 1h)
    Herakleia Trachinia mint
    Obv: Lion’s head left, spear in its jaws
    Rev: OITAI downward to right, ΩN downward to left, Herakles standing facing, holding club in both hands
    Ref: Valassiadis 9; BCD Thessaly II 494 (same obverse die)
    Acquired from @@Ardatirion (Bill Dalzell, Classical Numismatic Group Numismatist)
    Ex BCD Collection (Classical Numismatic Group Electronic Auction 290), lot 57
    Ex Peus 384 (2 November 2005), lot 199
    Ex Vinchon (20 May 1959), lot 483
    Ex M. Ratto 11 (16 May 1935), lot 239
    Ex R. Ratto (4 April 1927), lot 1023
    Ex Naville-Ars Classica V (18 June 1923), lot 1764

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks! This coin has a pretty striking relief that isn't obvious in this picture.
    Not sure if you'll see this...but computers work better when you don't take auction losses out on them!

;):p:D

Haha! Just kidding! I hope it all works itself out soon!

zumbly, TIF and Mikey Zee like this.
  16. Bing

Now you tell me!!

Jwt708 likes this.
  17. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Girl, get that sewing machine out........:D

TIF likes this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow Z-Bro, fantastic OP-example ...

oh, and amazing backup singing by the rest of our cool coin-gang (great coins!!)

I have one of these super sweet types as well ...

Thessaly Oitaioi.jpg

:rolleyes:

19. zumbly

Thanks! I think seeing yours was what put it on the want list for me. It's a great type.

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted