The Official Morgan Silver Dollar Thread

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Feb 11, 2016.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Thanks

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I like the one offered by taquitochalupa, OGH V 4.0, 9906314. I don't care much for the other two.

4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Here's something weird:

This coin sold for $705 a few years ago at Heritage:

http://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-doll...price-for/a/1182-8238.s?hdnJumpToLot=1x=0&y=0

Then sold for $400 last month at Heritage:

http://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-doll...e-for/a/131608-27206.s?hdnJumpToLot=1x=0&y=0#

And it sold a few minutes ago for $386 on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15200379151...49&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&autorefresh=true

Question: What the heck happened for this coin to go for $700 a few years ago and then sold so cheaply recently ? Someone couldn't have been desperate to get it then and had to unload it for 1/2 the price, right ? Did something happen to the Morgan population for this particular year ?

Chris Horsefield likes this.
  5. GoldFinger1969

Agreed...I think Mr.Bumps (2nd one) is not bad....but the 1st one I'm surprised it got a 64 back then. Maybe it had no toning back then ? Doesn't have the eye appeal I like.

6. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Just a guess, but someone(s) misinterpreted the toning in that first HA auction. Then got into a bidding war with another. Further supposition is it was likely for a registry set. They get the coin in hand and realize the toning is actually fairly faint. Fill in the rest...lol.

IMO, it's properly graded, but the toning is run of the mill.

7. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Buy the 86. It has nice fields with no distractions, and the price for eye appeal is fantastic.

8. GoldFinger1969

I'm debating the merits of Tachito's 4.0 coin vs. that other 1886 which was not sold but is off-the-market. Has a problem with the PCGS holder which I missed earlier, that could be why it is not currently listed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40107146136...38.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&rmvSB=true

All I see is gunk on the obverse PCGS label but maybe there is hidden damage.

9. GoldFinger1969

Was this the 1886 DMPL 64 you liked best even with the holder problem ? I only read where he said it was broken, can't see the damage to the slab, can you ?

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I think I can see the damage. It's on the "stacking" ridge on the reverse. If I'm right, it's typical damage to this type of PCGS holder. Those little ridges are brittle and break when the holder is improperly handled.

11. Chris Horsefield

Chris Horsefield New Member

Great looking coin

12. GoldFinger1969

Be Careful Of Stink Bids, Part 1: OK, I am up late nights studying the markets and doing my PT jobs and preparing resumes to send out so I often fool around on Ebay. Sometimes, a bit too lax. Mea Culpa !:D

I recently put in a 'stink bid' for an 1879-S MS64 PL which I THOUGHT was a DMPL. I think the guy was asking $575 or something else in the high-5's. I think I bid $350 or something like that which was high even for a DMPL but it was a nice coin. But it wasn't a DMPL, it was a PL where the FMV is closer to $200-$225. So rather than pay and return it because of the DMPL/PL issue and some toning I noticed after-the-fact, we cancelled the Best Offer bid.

Moral Of The Story: Be careful out there, as that guy from "Hill Street Blues" used to say. In this case, his asking price was so high that even if he got 1/2 his price he still got above FMV. And I was paying above that. But there are willing sellers out there where stink bids DO work. Read here:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/gold-bullion-coins-around-the-world.253290/page-3

13. Morgandude11

I messaged you about the one I really love the eye appeal on, and think it is appropriately priced. Worry not about stink bids, and haul that baby in.

14. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

I just picked up a nice DMPL at auction for my set. I think I paid a fair price. Thanks for the discussion about them as it sparked an interest for me ;)

GoldFinger1969 and JPeace$ like this.
  15. GoldFinger1969

I notice that the PCGS Price Guide Value is often very close to the FMV for alot of the moderately priced Morgans and DMPLs I look at.

But I also notice that the prices on Ebay for many of the high-priced ($1,500 - $3,000) are 2-3x FMV.:wideyed:

Are the asking prices really that far off true market value ? Or is the PCGS look-up lagging on price and with fewer sales at the high-end it makes the price guide less reliable ?

16. Morgandude11

They are insanely priced, compared to market value. You can go to coin shows and find willing dealers that will sell the DMPL coins much closer to reality. eBay is ask whatever you want world. Don't use that as what reasonable prices are, as P.T.Barnum was right--there is a sucker born every minute.

GoldFinger1969 and JPeace$ like this.
  17. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I rarely use eBay as a price guide. What I see a lot on eBay are people trying to make a killing on a coin, thus 2x + FMV. As we've discussed, I use HA auction archives and current listings for pricing. When contemplating either a rare/scarce coin or a condition rarity, pricing can be tougher. When that's the case, I'll use NGC and PCGS price guides as well. IMO, those two guides tend to be high.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  18. GoldFinger1969

Is the PCGS Prive Guide that Value Price that pops up when you check the certification number ?

I have been using HA since I joined a few weeks ago. I notice that he prices can swing 20-30% if you go back a few months.

19. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I'm not 100% sure, but I assume it is. I have the PCGS Price Guide app as well as CoinFacts on my phone.

As for HA, I haven't really noticed the big swings. Do you have some examples? Are you also looking at the Heritage Value Index?

20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

So much for the idea of collector coins as investments.:woot:

21. GoldFinger1969

Morgandude11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted