The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 9

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Sep 13, 2019.

?

What does the coin grade?

1. AU-55

2. AU-58

3. MS-60

4. MS-61

5. MS-62

6. MS-63

7. MS-64

8. MS-65

9. MS-66

10. MS-67

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That’s the only reason why it graded 65.

4. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

No trace of wear, some very small marks, lightly and evenly toned, a big wow coin for me, i'm just learning how to grade and this is fantastic help.

5. Chuck_A

6. Chuck_A

And what about full steps on a lincoln penny? Is this ever a consideration?

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, I have heard some collectors search for full steps on the Lincoln. I think this one is less common than the examples I gave, but I know that at least one forum member here places a high priority on the Lincoln memorial steps (I just can't remember who).

Chuck_A likes this.
  8. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Maybe @BadThad

9. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

The current coin market in my opinion likes and wants the labels. I think without a lot of the labels, the TPGs put out, coin collecting would be in big trouble. The hobby needs the TPGs to put as much ink on that label as possible. Every new letter on a label makes that individual coin rarer than the next. Example: NGC and ANACS change one number and there is a difference in pricing and rarity, overnight. Jefferson nickles(had to) 5FS and 6FS.

As a collector I don't like the endless labeling. Lessens/cheapens my research in numismatics. I want to make that call. It won't change, though. As a someday seller of a collection, with labels, please let all future labeling make my collection a cherrypicker's heaven. I got that, unattributed, pay me.

Roosevelt dimes are underappreciated.

The only thing that matters on Morgan dollars is the number of bag markso_O. I have a thing for well struck New Orleans Morgan dollars. I don't do pancakes(I like that term) on those either. I will and have paid up for the nice ones.

10. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I would have said MS66, not having seen the CAC bean. Being a strong CAC advocate/purchaser, I now believe that the coin is assuredly better than the "average" MS65, being a grade closer to my believed MS66, maybe a plus coin.

JMHO

Draft saved Draft deleted