The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 9

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Sep 13, 2019.

?

What does the coin grade?

1. AU-55

2. AU-58

3. MS-60

4. MS-61

5. MS-62

6. MS-63

7. MS-64

8. MS-65

9. MS-66

10. MS-67

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

How good is CoinTalk compared to the TPGs? Let's find out! Over the next several months, I'll be posting a continuous stream of Guess the Grade threads. I will be using photos from the Heritage auction archives (please do not cheat!).

All you have to do is guess the grade! I will be attaching a poll to each thread. Please select the grade that you think best represents the coin (to avoid bias, please select your grade before viewing the rest of the thread).

Also feel free to post your opinions about the coin, and it would be most educational if you could explain why you chose the grade you did.

In order to give everyone time to respond, I'll reveal the grade Sunday evening

Around Christmas, I will tally up the results and see how we did. This thread is an offshoot of a recent thread where I compared CT grading to the TPG, seen here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-good-is-cointalk-at-grading.343417/

We're going to cover a wide range of material, and some of it may be out of your wheelhouse. However, if you are a confident grader, you should be able to accurately grade almost any coin.

GTG 9 obv.jpg gtg 9 rev.jpg

Chuck_A, paddyman98, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Very clean coin. I went with 64 due to a couple of obverse marks. I wouldn't object strongly if a little higher. Pretty.

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Upon closer inspection, you can see some very minor nicks, but overall, the coin has the appearance of a gem grade coin. Liberty Nickels always seem to be rather lack luster, even at the higher grades, so I am going with:

MS65

Paul M. and medoraman like this.
  5. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

It is a very nice coin. MS 65, but might be a 64 due to the series track record by tpg's in general.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Very nice coin. I'd be proud to own it.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Hmm . . . Great strike & luster looks exceptional . . . very small marks, minor delam, good originality . . . I grade it 65.

Paul M. likes this.
  9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Yes, clean surfaces, but almost no remaining luster or visible toning. Knowing this may be due to the pictures, I like it at MS 64.

10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

This one is really nice. MS-66

chascat and Paul M. like this.
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

65. A couple significant enough marks on the obverse to hold it back. Nice coin.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Flat no luster going with MS 64

13. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I think 66 is within reach as well.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

I went with MS 65
    I see something to the left of the star at the 3 o'clock position (can't quite make out if it's a small struck through area or minor damage) and some scattered hits throughout, but nothing that would keep the coin out of the gem range.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Solid 65. Very well struck (full left corn on the reverse, full obverse stars), good eye appeal, scattered little ticks and such on the portrait, decent luster. Little planchet flaw or strike-thru at 3:00 is no big deal.

tibor and Paul M. like this.
  16. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

First impression, 65. Guess I'll go with that.

17. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I'll go with 64, due to the ticks on the cheek and the tiny obv dark spots. I don't think the planchet flaw by star 11 affects the grade.

18. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

20. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Wow. Wow! WOW!!

I suspect the coin is more lustrous than these photos let on. Absolutely no distracting marks, and very few marks at all. Combine that with one of the best strikes you’ll ever see on a Liberty nickel, and I’m scratching my head at all y’all who said 64.

IMO, anything less than 65 should be sent back in as a mechanical error. Luster is probably not enough for 67, hence my guess of 66.

21. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

We've had a pretty good number of guesses so far, but don't forget to vote!

I'll close this one out this evening, so today is your last chance to participate.

Draft saved Draft deleted