The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 5

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Aug 17, 2019.

?

What does the Morgan Grade?

1. AU-55

2. AU-58

3. MS-60

4. MS-61

5. MS-62

6. MS-63

7. MS-64

8. MS-65

9. MS-66

10. MS-67

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Luster_Bump

Luster_Bump New Member

If it's a 61 I'll PayPal you a beer.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FrankHKP7

FrankHKP7 Active Member

I like where you're going with this. If it's not, I'll paypal you a beer!

4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

My grade would be an MS-63+. I see a light scrape, from the reeding of another dollar, running down Ms. Liberty's cheek. PCGS probably called it an MS-64.

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

So you grade this coin an MS63+, but the 1885-S from the previous thread was an MS63??????

Thank you so much, I love a good laugh in the morning.

TypeCoin971793 and Morgandude11 like this.
  6. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Please don't continue to muddy these threads this way.
    I did ask nicely.

thomas mozzillo and micbraun like this.
  7. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

I think it's an MS-63, but I voted MS-64, since I think that is probably what's on the slab.

8. Lehigh96

I will post whatever opinion I want within the boundary of forum rules.

The point of my most recent post was to illustrate that his assigned grades of the two coins are absolutely preposterous. So while you may find no value in it, others may find it extremely valuable to know just how inconsistent his grading standards are. If I have to endure countless threads bashing the experts at the TPGs for their inconsistency, then surely you guys can endure similar criticism of a member who presents himself as a decades long industry expert whose grading skills are actually better than the TPGs.

Forums are a place where people are free to post dissenting opinions, then the readers can decide for themselves whose point is the most valid. Sometimes this process can be messy or even contentious. Your request for me to stop posting my opinions restricts the free exchange of ideas and hurts the forum.

My suggestion to all the people who think it is their job to police the content of this forum is to either become a moderator or get some thicker skin.

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Supposed to grade what you think it is, not what the company graded it.

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Ideally, the two would be the same. I've tried to choose coins which I think are accurately graded. Some threads try to make a point about over or undergraded coins, but that is not the point of these threads.

Sunflower_Coins likes this.
  11. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Why not both?

12. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

I think it's a 62 because the marks in the left field next to liberty's mouth are deeper than typical bag marks.

13. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Because the marks all appear to be bag marks, I'll go with MS-63 (but wouldn't be surprised at MS-62).

14. Johndoe2000$

Like it or not, the grading standards have indeed changed over the years.
    The grades are higher, and even get bumped more than ever for eye appeal, aka gradeflation.
    Some have adjusted their grading standards to match the new, some have not.
    Those that have not changed with the times will almost always undergrade the newer slabs, while those that have changed with the times will grade according to the newer standards.
    That's what I'm seeing here.
    Of course you're always allowed to post your views (within the rules)
    So go ahead if you think this is good for the forum.
    I must have misunderstood your intention to help the forum. I thought it seemed like just another argument being started between very knowledgeable members that disagree on the grades assigned. It appears to me that some have changed their grading standards to be more with current standards, while some haven't.
    Again, my apologies for interrupting any attempts you make to benefit this forum.

micbraun likes this.
  15. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I think the rev is a 64 and the obv is a 61-62, a bit too much chatter on the cheek and marks in the fields. Overall a 63.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  16. Johndoe2000$

As previously mentioned we are being asked for our opinion of the grade, and not what we think the TPGS graded it.
    Old school grading will usually be undergraded, while the newer market grading will be closer to the TPGS grade. (obviously)
    Who's right???
    After all, these are opinions based on our perceived grading standards. If our grading standards are different, the grades should be different.
    Who's right... who's wrong ?

17. Lehigh96

Even if I am starting an argument, that is the nature of dissent. He makes his argument, I make mine, and the readers decide who they think is right or wrong. I don’t want to get into a full blown debate about gradeflation but I agree that those with more antiquated standards are going to be more conservative.

Rest assured, I don’t argue with people for the sake of arguing, I do it to provide a dissenting opinion to that of an opinion with which I disagree.

And if my response to you was a little curt, look at it from my point of view. You were basically the 3rd person in the last 24 hours telling me to can it.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  18. Raulhg

Raulhg Member

This Morgan can't be any higher than 62 in my opinion.There are way too many contact marks on the prime focal areas. Did you all see the big hits on the eagle's breast up close? It's a descent strike for New Orleans, just too many marks.
    By the way, I wish people would stop calling these 'bag marks' or 'baggy'. These are called 'contact marks' from other coins hitting them or rubbing against them. Bag marks on coins have a sliding effect or rubbing effect. These are contact marks. Hits!
    Anybody else agree with that?

Magnus87 likes this.
  19. johnmilton

It's interesting that you single me out when there are many other posts here that have graded the coin MS-63 or lower. What is your problem with me? I only give honest opinions of what I see.

Keep this up, and I am going to put you on "ignore." Life to too short to spend it around unpleasant people.

20. johnmilton

I have purchased coins in the newer slabs that are perfectly okay. Just like it's always been, you have to pick out the better material. Here are a couple of examples that in in the new "thick slabs."

This 1864 Bronze cent is in an MS-65, R&B holder.

1864 Bronze O.jpg 1864 Bronze R.jpg

This 1864-L is in an MS-64 R&B holder.

1864-L Cent O.jpg 1864-L Cent R.jpg

and this 1936 Satin Finish Proof Nickel is in a PR-67 holder, right where it should be.

1936 Satin Proof Nickel O.jpg 1936 Satin Proof Nickel R.jpg

I have bought so many coins in new holders that i've had to switch to PCGS holders because the new PCGS slabs are too thick to fit "straight on" in the NGC boxes, which I prefer.

Paul M. and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  21. Lehigh96

Because none of those other people who graded this coin MS63, graded the 1885-S MS63. From my perspective, there is just no reasonable explanation as to how one could grade those two coins the same. For the record, I graded this coin MS63 as well, so my criticism is not that you were too tough on this coin.

I don’t have a problem with you, haven’t had a problem with you for over a decade on the NGC forum, and this is the first time you have ever referred to me as unpleasant. But if you want to put me on the ignore list, that’s your prerogative, but it won’t stop me from posting a dissenting opinion when I disagree with you.

Draft saved Draft deleted