The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 4

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Aug 11, 2019.

?

What does the Morgan grade?

1. AU-58

2. MS-60

3. MS-61

4. MS-62

5. MS-63

6. MS-64

7. MS-65

8. MS-66

9. MS-67

10. MS-68

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I see where you are going, but I can’t say that I agree. TPG range of error is quite narrow, if they err at all. For a coin graded MS 65, a range from 64 to 66 would be far more valid an opinion. Just looking at the coin for 5 seconds, one could ascertain that it was neither AU 58, nor MS 68. See where this is going now? Shouldn’t we be focusing on a reasonable grade for a coin, as opposed to a wild guess, that is way out of anything reasonable?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Yeah, I disagree too. Everybody is entitled to their opinion on this coin. I think AU58 is a reasonable guess. Just because you believe AU58 is a bad guess doesn’t mean the votes should be ignored. Let’s stop it here please.

Michael Scarn likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

OK.....now I gotta take a look.....

5. Morgandude11

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but wildly out of range guesses do not help to develop precision in coin grading. We want to be as accurate as possible, do we not?

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

'63 at a five second glance....no wa way an AU.....baggy a bit, but well defined and the strike is superb. The third party guys could have gone higher, but I'll rest my decision.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Many of us feel that 66 and 67 are wildly out of range. In fact the majority voted middle of the road @ 40%.

Any arguement further is just trying to impose your opinion.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    micbraun and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

We're four coins into this experiment. If people use each coin as an opportunity to learn just a little more about how to use Heritage's pictures to grade coins, then we should see the mean of our grades come closer to the PCGS grade, and the standard deviation also come down.

The AU58 grade is a pesky grade from the standpoint of rating our grading. Arguably, 58 is a nicer coin than 61, and maybe even 62, so perhaps it should go there for the purposes of computing our stats. As I illustrated elsewhere, this does affect the scores somewhat, but it's probably not necessary to do this. The presentation of our accuracy at the end of the experiment along with an explanation of how AU58 tends to work should be sufficient to show that it can be difficult to tell AU58 from a nice uncirculated coin from a Heritage picture alone. This is something we should already know. We may also discover whether or not we get better at telling AU58 from MSsomething using Heritage pictures, but there may not be enough coins in the study to really show this.

Insider and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

It’s reasonable if there is wear on the coin. There isn’t any. And the surface preservation of this coin is lightyears away from MS-60/1/2/3 just comparing hundreds of coins graded at those levels. That’s my objective view of this.

Any of those who were in the coin business before 1980, would this have graded MS-63 (“Choice BU”) or MS-65 (“Gem BU”)? If the former, one could argue that some of the responders were reverting to the more-conservative pre-TPG days. @Insider @GDJMSP

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The coin ACTUALLY graded MS66, how on Earth could MS67 be a ridiculously high grade?

Paul M. and Morgandude11 like this.
  11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It is “ridiculously high” if the coin doesn’t make the MS-66 grade in the first place. Collectors need to get away from the mindset that the grades the TPGs put on coins are always correct. If they were, CAC would not have gotten any traction in the market.

buckeye73, Mainebill and micbraun like this.
  12. Lehigh96

The coin is a solid MS66, you are just salty that you were wrong and that I blew your example out of the water.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

That is your opinion, and you are entitled to have one. When I look at the close-up photo of that coin, there is no way that I could ever grade it MS-66. That is my opinion, and I am also entitled to have one. If you think you have “blown me out of the water,” on this issue, you are delusional.

14. Lehigh96

Do yourself a favor, take 5 Heritage photos of MS64 1885-S Morgan Dollars and compare them to this coin. You will find that this coin is far superior and that only really applies to surface preservation and ignores luster which is impossible to judge from HA photos.

Nobody is saying that you can’t have your own standards for grading, but it is plainly obvious that your standards are much different (more conservative) than those employed by the TPGs, and they control the market.

As for blowing it out of the water, I thoroughly debunked the example you used. That MS65+ has obvious luster grazes, and they are visible on the beauty shots despite the photographer’s effort to hide them.

So if you want to claim that this coin is not an MS66 based on your standards, then okay, but you haven’t even come close to showing that the coin is incorrectly graded by current TPG standards.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

@TypeCoin971793
    @Morgandude11
    @Lehigh96

It’s not about who’s right or wrong. It doesn’t matter if PCGS assigned the correct grade or not. Jason wanted to see how good the CoinTalk community is at grading and the community is larger than you. There simply are no “wrong” votes.

Michael Scarn likes this.
  16. Morgandude11

We get it. The wild inconsistencies are related to individual subjectivity, and a bias against TPG grading. Some folks grade excessively low. Others grade excessively high. Some grade their coin high, and anybody else’s is AU 58, even if a TPG gave it a high grade. How good is the Cointalk community at grading? Only as good as individual’s subjective biases in grading happens to be. On any GTG, for an obvious gem coin, there will normally be a range from AU 58 to MS 68, based on an individual’s personal bias towards grading.

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not really sure why you tagged me, but seeing as how you did, I may as well tell you I grade the coin as a 58. If memory serves correctly I was the 1st to grade it 58. Why ? Because I strongly disagree with your contention, I believe there is absolutely wear on the coin. And it is plainly evident in both sets of the pics provided.

Seattlite86 and micbraun like this.
  18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Bias ? For some maybe, but I believe very, very few. I also believe that the strongest bias would be found with those who agree with the TPG grades. Ya see, unlike it was not so many years ago, in today's world it's accepted as fact, and widely so, that the TPGs have grossly changed their grading standards.

Most folks who grade the coin, they aren't going to grade it based on bias, they are going to grade it based on the grading standards they use - just like I did.

19. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Being new to Heritage "GLAMOUR" pics, I am learning that luster breaks look a lot hits on the coins they photograph. I can easily understand the AU, to low MS picks for this one especially.
    Combine the less than stellar pics with the modern more lenient grading standards, and you will no doubt get lower grade guesses from many collectors that are more accustomed to higher grading standards. I'm surprised @GDJMSP didn't guess 55 or less. ;)
    As mentioned earlier, those with experience interpreting this auction house's style of photography, have the advantage. IMHO.

Paul M. likes this.
  20. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

There aren’t any “wild inconsistencies” and no “wild guesses” either. Technically it’s an AU58, if you don’t believe me, then please read Doug’s post above. If PCGS applies market grading, fine with me. Even I said MS64 while mentioning that the coin clearly shows wear. Just don’t tell us that we’re all wrong and/or our votes should be disregarded.

21. Morgandude11

Then, your standards are ludicrous. An obvious gem coin is AU 58, because YOU see wear? That is the very definition of bias, and you just don’t comprehend that. TPGs may have changed their standards, but grading what YOU think is an AU coin as MS66? Nah, not a realistic statement.

Draft saved Draft deleted