The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 4

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Aug 11, 2019.

?

What does the Morgan grade?

1. AU-58

2. MS-60

3. MS-61

4. MS-62

5. MS-63

6. MS-64

7. MS-65

8. MS-66

9. MS-67

10. MS-68

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’m sorry. I’m with @johnmilton with this one. If it was an 80-s it’d be a 63. I can’t unsee that one mark in any pic and for a gemgrade I don’t want to see any major marks in the focal areas. I feel it overgraded. A high end 64. Even a 64+. But I wouldn’t call it a65. Let alone a 66. Notice no bean either. JA knows how to grade no he’s not foolproof. But I’m sure it’s been there. Personally I feel this is a coin that’s been cracked and upgraded etc until it’s beyond maxed out

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

My first thought was 64. But I concluded that several of the cheek marks were actually stains and not contact marks. I believe that assigning a grade lower than a 65 is unwarranted for this coin. My grade was a solid 65, but as I said earlier, this can easily be in a 66 slab given the inferiority of much of its competition. 66 is a very reasonable grade for this coin.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I also gave it a 64. There are some odd tones on the cheek that looked worse than I think they are. But even so I would hardly give this a gem grade.
    I think it definitely was given a hand up.
    There is to much chatter in the fields for a 66 I don't think luster is enough. Eye appeal leaves this one in the middle of the road.

furham and johnmilton like this.
  5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

There is no "right" in a thread like this. It's all just opinion — including the grade printed on the slab label.

furham, Seattlite86, micbraun and 2 others like this.
  6. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

So are we gonna find out the sold price for this coin and see if someone was willing to pay at or above the MS66 graded price for it to get it.. or lower than that? It'd be nice to find out.

I'm not going to get defensive I'm not a professional grader which I stated in my guess. I wouldn't pay MS 66 price for it when they have a half dozen better looking coins on there in slabs grading lower than this.

I'd say if people will pay the coin value in MS66 then its a MS66. If they only bid it up to 10-20-30-40% of its book value then obviously it's a dog in a better slab than the coin really deserves... just saying.

Or we could call this game "guess what the TPGC gave this coin".. lol

7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I happen to think also that most coins are graded by the obverse as what matters most although I'd say the state and park quarters don't follow this rule they grade on the reverses.

Mostly I'm of the belief that on a slabbed coin, the forward facing side in the slab is the more important side to the grade if obverse is forward it's the more important, if reverse is forward it's the most important of that particular series.

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It sold for $4320 in November 2018.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

10. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

That's exactly what this is, except the TPGS have the coin in hand. They don't have to grade from these pics.
    Curious... I'm assuming the vast majorIty, have been undergraded by the members here??? haven't went back to see.

11. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

12. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I definitely agree. Now. :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

One point difference. 4x difference in price. This is what pushed me out of the US Market.

C7C0ECD7-C3AC-4F03-866B-55B724485826.png

Paul M., Morgandude11 and Seattlite86 like this.
  14. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I voted MS64, but I think it's really a 64+ (wasn't an option for it) and no better.

15. TypeCoin971793

Look carefully. There is a $2700 difference in quality. o_O:rolleyes:

845C6751-4EBB-4DF5-834E-A2BC99FF3D91.jpeg 801484E4-313A-404B-A58B-97D4C0822735.jpeg 6562295D-C392-4910-988F-54000EE949FB.jpeg 717D5E49-0195-40FD-8EB7-0BFFC842BF15.jpeg

Seattlite86, johnmilton and Jaelus like this.
  16. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

I voted MS-65. It seems to me that with a coin worth so much, one would submit it to CAC to verify the grade. Not that CAC is the be all and end all of grading, coins with CAC verification tend to garner higher prices than those without it.

17. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Bingo!

Here are the Grey Sheet numbers for the 1885-S dollar:
    MS-64 $525
    MS-65 $1,250
    MS-66 $3,200

Here are numbers from the brand new CAC Rare Coin Market Review:

MS-64 $748
    MS-65 $2,120
    MS-66 $5,620

In other words ONE GRADING POINT makes all the differnce. Before you lay out the difference in price, you had better make sure that the grade is 100% accurate, or you are going to take a big hit. MS-66 is, or at least it used be, a very exacting grade where the coin had to be a Gem Unc. with no questions.

18. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I think the grade is absolutely accurate, with no questions. The voting on this thread is proportionate to that idea, with a 3-1 ratio in favor of gem grade.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  19. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

I am at 65. A few light blemishes on the neck and the hazy areas on both sides of the coin does not allow a better grade IMO. Overall, it’s a very nice coin.

20. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

I GTG before seeing the reveal. Since we are at an average of MS 64.5 and the TPG grade is MS 66, it would appear that seeing the coin in hand makes a difference. I personally saw a significant break in luster (haze) in the photos not accompanied by toning, which helped me to arrived at the grade.
    My opinion of the grade is also consistent with my conservative grading mode. All that being said, I would not be a strong buyer of that coin at that grade. This also may explain why among many others, I have concentrated much more on Ancients and World coins.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Huh?

>results: we had 49 guesses with an average of 64.5.... 1.5 points under the 66 that PCGS gave it.

The CoinTalk community graded this coin 64.5 or - as I read it - 64+ that’s not a gem BU grade. Of course, we were grading from pictures and we’re not pro graders, but the consensus was it’s far from a 66.

Draft saved Draft deleted