The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 25

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Dec 10, 2019.

?

What does the coin grade?

1. AU-58

2. MS-60

3. MS-61

4. MS-62

5. MS-63

6. MS-64

7. MS-65

8. MS-66

9. MS-67

10. MS-68

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Mainebill likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

They're graded the same way everything else is graded: Strike, Luster, Eye Appeal, Contact Marks ;)

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That’s not what I meant. This coin has what appears to be superlative premium gem luster in combination with MS64 surfaces and a freshly dipped appearance with no disernible toning. For most 20th century coinage and Morgan Dollars they would grade this MS65. I don’t know if they view Trade Dollars in the same light with respect to lack of toning (lack of original surfaces) and luster that is superior to the surfaces.

It seems obvious to me that the way that the TPGs apply market grading principles varies from series to series.

yakpoo likes this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

I know what you meant, Lehigh. I just had to tease a bit ;)

Lehigh96 likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

We had great participation on this one, with 51 votes! And, y'all guessed 63.9... so close to the PCGS/CAC 64.

As a few of you mentioned, this is a classic 64. It has great luster, the coin is clearly quite flashy. The strike shows a bit of characteristic weakness (most obviously in Liberty's head). The eye appeal is good, although it probably has been dipped. The biggest thing that keeps this from a 65, as a few of you mentioned, are the scattered marks throughout the fields (especially the obverse field). There aren't any major marks, and the reverse is a step above 64, but the scattered marks are what really holds this back.

gtg 25 obv - Copy.jpg

Sunflower_Coins, CircCam and furham like this.
  7. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

This one was a challenge for sure.

8. physics-fan3.14

I'll agree that sometimes it appears that market grading varies from series to series, but I think it is more consistent than some would think.

For example, on this coin, you point out the superlative luster. This is definitely gem luster.

However, I think there are enough contact marks, especially the marks in the fields, that this would not have gotten a 65 even if it were a Morgan.

9. physics-fan3.14

In the interest of learning, I saw you guessed 63. Can you explain why you guessed 63? If you can, describe it in terms of the 4 major components of grading: Strike, Luster, Eye Appeal, and Contact Marks.

10. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Although strike, luster, and eye appeal were sufficient for a higher grade I thought the numerous contact marks would hold it back. I have no problem with it being graded MS64.

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I know trades. I think it must have got a luster bump to 64 as I thought it to have too many marks for higher. That being said. In hand it could have looked different

12. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Definitely PMD, with AT. :confused:
    Still looks to be a possibility of a 69+*, with early release label. :wideyed:

13. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted