The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 17

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Nov 17, 2019.

?

What does the Coin Grade?

1. AU-58

2. MS-60

3. MS-61

4. MS-62

5. MS-63

6. MS-64

7. MS-65

8. MS-66

9. MS-67

10. MS-68

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Alright, while CT has struggled with a couple of recent ones... this one is going to be an actual challenge. Let's see how well you do!

How good is CoinTalk compared to the TPGs? Let's find out! Over the next several months, I'll be posting a continuous stream of Guess the Grade threads. I will be using photos from the Heritage auction archives (please do not cheat!).

All you have to do is guess the grade! I will be attaching a poll to each thread. Please select the grade that you think best represents the coin (to avoid bias, please select your grade before viewing the rest of the thread).

Also feel free to post your opinions about the coin, and it would be most educational if you could explain why you chose the grade you did.

In order to give everyone time to respond, I'll reveal the grade Tuesday evening.

Around Christmas, I will tally up the results and see how we did. This thread is an offshoot of a recent thread where I compared CT grading to the TPG, seen here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-good-is-cointalk-at-grading.343417/

We're going to cover a wide range of material, and some of it may be out of your wheelhouse. However, if you are a confident grader, you should be able to accurately grade almost any coin.

gtg 17 obv.jpg gtg 17 rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Hmm... not wrong on being a challenge!
    I voted MS62, I felt the coin had a slightly weaker strike, details weren't perfect enough for a higher grade, however I also saw almost nothing I could conclude to be wear.

4. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Another weak strike-vs-wear. I think weak strike MS64.
    (No clue if these are treated differently in the grading room.)

5. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I'm no good at this but I'll play. Although you don't have it listed, I would have said; 66 detailed scratched. Still a nice looking coin!

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 4.27.06 PM.png

6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Oh no, seated coinage is way out of my comfort zone. I don’t see anything on the obverse that indicates wear but the tips of the eagles wings lead me to think the coin might be AU58.

Since everyone tells me that coins like this are market graded, and the surfaces look pretty clean, though not very lustrous in those photos, I’m going with

MS62

GeorgeM, wxcoin and Paul M. like this.
  7. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Following @Lehigh96 is a bit intimidating, but I voted 64. If surfaces had been better I would have gone 65 because I see one heck of a lot of detail.

Steve

8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

The luster in the obverse fields appear to have rub in them, and the high points on the obverse appear to have been dulled, but I am not seeing the obvious color change that I would expect from circulation wear.

Without seeing this in hand, AU-58. If the luster is indeed unbroken, I will say MS-61 because of the subdued luster, ugly toning, and this “scuffiness” in the fields.

15FDD67E-E3CD-4F98-93CC-DEE4E1FF5D64.jpeg

wxcoin, Paul M. and CircCam like this.
  9. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I went 63, but without much confidence. I think it did circulate for a tiny bit, but I think it rates a MS grade by current standards.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

A few marks away from 64. Pretty coin. I went with 63.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

'63.......looks well struck to me, and the toning doesn't displease me. Some distracting marks behind Liberty prevented me from giving it a '64.....

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Very nice luster, but some issues net it down to a 61 for me.

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I’m at 58. I think what people are calling weak strike is actually wear. Look at the obverse stars! No sign of this weakness there. I think this was a well struck, and possibly early die state coin that had a very short career in commerce before some collector retired it to their collection.

micbraun likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

I went with 62
    ...again I debated if there was wear, but decided it was marked graded up to MS 62...in my view the coin is unattractive (which should also limit the amount of the market grade)

Lehigh96 likes this.
  15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

63 here. I didn't see any wear on the high spots. Everything else about it just screams "average" to me. Luster is OK. Surfaces have a few scuffs here and there, but the hits on the shield are troublesome. Eye appeal has positives (overall color) and negatives (what almost looks like spittle stain toning by Liberty's right arm). I'd expect a 62 to have more offensive or unfortunately placed marks, and a 64 to have a cleaner shield and better eye appeal.

Stevearino likes this.
  16. dividebytube

dividebytube Active Member

Hard coin for me to grade - my only personal example of this half-dollar is a G at best. Going with MS62 based on details, marks, and toning.

17. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I see a lot of friction in the obverse fields, especially on the left side. There is also friction on Ms. Liberty's knee. I was first looking for AU-55, but that is not even an option.

Obviously the TPG called it Mint State.

micbraun likes this.
  18. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Hard to decide, but will go with 63.

19. Stevearino

This is going to be an interesting reveal. Way better than Chip and Joanna or The Property Brothers.

Steve

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  20. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Kind of a low bar you're setting there.

Stevearino likes this.
  21. Stevearino

LOL. Not if you ask my wife. She cringes every time a package arrives for me or I mention the word "coin."

As soon as I head out the door the TV goes to HGTV,

Steve

Sunflower_Coins and Johndoe2000$ like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted