The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 14

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Nov 1, 2019.

?

What does it grade?

1. AU-55

2. AU-58

3. MS-60

4. MS-61

5. MS-62

6. MS-63

7. MS-64

8. MS-65

9. MS-66

10. MS-67

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

You guys asked for copper, so let's grade copper! I will tell you that this coin is designated Brown, so I will not be asking for color designators.

How good is CoinTalk compared to the TPGs? Let's find out! Over the next several months, I'll be posting a continuous stream of Guess the Grade threads. I will be using photos from the Heritage auction archives (please do not cheat!).

All you have to do is guess the grade! I will be attaching a poll to each thread. Please select the grade that you think best represents the coin (to avoid bias, please select your grade before viewing the rest of the thread).

Also feel free to post your opinions about the coin, and it would be most educational if you could explain why you chose the grade you did.

In order to give everyone time to respond, I'll reveal the grade Sunday evening.

Around Christmas, I will tally up the results and see how we did. This thread is an offshoot of a recent thread where I compared CT grading to the TPG, seen here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-good-is-cointalk-at-grading.343417/

We're going to cover a wide range of material, and some of it may be out of your wheelhouse. However, if you are a confident grader, you should be able to accurately grade almost any coin.

gtg 14 obv.jpg gtg 14 rev.jpg

Chuck_A likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dividebytube

dividebytube Active Member

I don't think I've ever seen such a large cent in person with that kind of detail. I'll be conservative (based on some minor quibbles) and go MS-63. Though part of me thinks it could grade MS-65. There, however, is not a lot of eye appeal here with the brown patina which is, admittedly, throwing off my objectivity.

I'll wait for more experienced hands to make their judgement.

4. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

Are those rim nicks lighter than these pictures make them out to be? This a really nice looking coin, but those rim nicks make me think it shouldn't have straight graded.

5. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

I think it’s a 63 assuming the rim dings don’t derail it. Really looks AU-64 so I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see AU-58 on the slab.

6. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

You have to vote in the poll above for your vote to count. Nobody has selected 62.

8. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

The surfaces are very clean with very few hits. I went with MS 66.

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

64. Mark free but in Gem 65 and higher the luster should be out of this world. This is a relatively flat luster, brown coin.

10. Don Kelley

Don Kelley New Member

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The surfaces are outstanding but I agree with @C-B-D, the luster should be much better for a gem grade coin. These Heritage photos make the coin look lifeless.

I say MS64 BN.

12. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

I said MS-63, but also wonder about the rim ding.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  13. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I wanted to say 65 but I think the rims should hold it back so I went 63.

14. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Weak luster. Decent strike. Nothing special, so a low MS unless the light rim hits bothered them.

15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Would be a 64 without those rim hits. MS-63

16. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

MS 64 BN, if rim ding is not a deduction. One would expect at least a hint of luster for a higher grade.

17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I think we're seeing tiny rim cuds, not hits.

CircCam likes this.
  18. CircCam

CircCam Victory

64, I’m guessing those are as-struck. I’ve observed these can have very clean surfaces but if the luster isn’t there they max out at 64.

19. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Very clean for a copper cent, MS64

20. Charles REid

Charles REid Active Member

Exception in its class, and era of mintage.
    Ms 63

21. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

MS 63 BN. Some of the dentils are weaker on the obverse, but that might just be the strike. About the cuds/hits, it's hard to determine if it's either.

Draft saved Draft deleted