The O in One Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WashQuartJesse, Aug 14, 2010.

1. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

The O seems to be the first thing I look at when I view a wheat cent. Why is it so disregarded by the TPG's and most graders. Do they/you not believe it to be a major focal point?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Becasue it's so common. It's due to the high relief of the obverse shoulder.

Attached Files:

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

No, it is not "a major focal point", or at least no more than the rest of the letters in that area. I think you will find it the opposite of disregarded. As Thad showed, that area in noted for being weakly struck. That bit of weak strike should not enter the grading seriously until MS-67 and up. How many early wheats (or really just wheats) have you seen above MS-67?

As I have done often before, here is PCGS's definition (bolding is mine);

5. WashQuartJesse

I've seen many graded 66 plus with the O and other letters displaying what look like bag marks. This makes no sense to me.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

First, (IMO) there is no such thing as a reverse focal point in comparison to the obverse.

Second, it's generally the area of weakness in strike because of the obverse (it lays opposite Lincoln's shoulder).

Incidentally, that's why you often see planchet marks on both the O and shoulder due to a strike not strong enough to remove these pre-strike planchet marks.

To answer your question directly, no, I do not consider it a focal point -- unless you're keen on a completely full strike.

7. Leadfoot

They are not bag marks. See my post above for the explanation.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'll agree with you that the obverse carries more weight, but every coin has prime focal areas on both the obverse and reverse.

9. Leadfoot

Agreed. I think we are saying the same thing and differ on the semantics.

10. WashQuartJesse

Thanks Leadfoot.

I guess I just believe a coin shouldn't be 66+ when this is the case. It usually isn't with larger coins.

11. Leadfoot

That is your opinion. Clearly there are differing viewpoints. Who's right? All of us as grading is subjective.

12. Leadfoot

p.s. you are welcome (for what, I'm not sure). :)

Draft saved Draft deleted