The nicest ancient I have ever seen!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jhinton, Apr 22, 2012.

1. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

I saw this on Heritage today, it's out of my league but I thought I share the pictures!
    This thing is a beast!
    Obverse.jpg Reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lol yeah there is some freaking amazing ancients. This I am pretty sure is greek, which there is some stunning large greek coins. The artistry on them is better then even todays computer generated trash.

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That is awesome, Brandon should buy that for his horse collection.

5. Himera Tetradrachm. A city in Sicily. The Sicilians were known for creating the most beautiful coins. A coin in that condition can fetch around 4K.

6. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

This one is my favorite:
    [​IMG]
    [TABLE="width: 100%"]

[TD="align: left"].[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]

Tetricus I. Romano-Gallic Emperor, AD 271-274. AV Aureus (21mm, 4.45 g, 6h). “Victoria Germanica” issue. Mint City II (Cologne). 1st emission, December AD 271. IMP C G P ESV TETRICVS AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right / VICTORIA GER M, Tetricus, holding globe and scepter, standing left, being crowned by Victory, holding wreath and palm frond; to left at feet of Tetricus, bound captive seated left with head right. RIC V 38 var. (bust type); Schulte 2 (dies 3/- [unlisted rev.die]); Sondermann 1.2 = D. Hollard, "Un aureus inédit de Tétricus Ier découvert en Afghanistan," BSFN 58.10 (December 2003), pp. 225-9 = L. Dussubieux and B. Gratuze, "Nature et origine des objets en verre retrouvés à Begram et à Bara," De l'Indus à l'Oxus: Archéologie de l'Asie centrale (2003), 285 (this coin); Calicó -. EF, pleasant river patina. Rare.

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=184585

7. Ardatirion

This one is my favorite:
    [​IMG]
    [TABLE="width: 100%"]

[TD="align: left"].[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]

Tetricus I. Romano-Gallic Emperor, AD 271-274. AV Aureus (21mm, 4.45 g, 6h). “Victoria Germanica” issue. Mint City II (Cologne). 1st emission, December AD 271. IMP C G P ESV TETRICVS AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right / VICTORIA GER M, Tetricus, holding globe and scepter, standing left, being crowned by Victory, holding wreath and palm frond; to left at feet of Tetricus, bound captive seated left with head right. RIC V 38 var. (bust type); Schulte 2 (dies 3/- [unlisted rev.die]); Sondermann 1.2 = D. Hollard, "Un aureus inédit de Tétricus Ier découvert en Afghanistan," BSFN 58.10 (December 2003), pp. 225-9 = L. Dussubieux and B. Gratuze, "Nature et origine des objets en verre retrouvés à Begram et à Bara," De l'Indus à l'Oxus: Archéologie de l'Asie centrale (2003), 285 (this coin); Calicó -. EF, pleasant river patina. Rare.

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=184585

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Its your favorite so much it had to be posted twice, lol ;)

Thats a very nice coin. Portrait is outstanding on it.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

If people really want to see some off the charts ancient coins, you can get auction catalogs from CNG, Gorny and Mosch, Kuenker, etc. There really are a ton of exemplary, artistic ancient coins. I know many only see crummy ancients on Ebay and US auctions houses that occasionally have an ancient or two, but get some of the catalogs of major ancient auction houses and you can see the depth of the true beauty that ancient coins provide, (provided you have deep enough pockets).

The OP's coin is Sicilian. For some reason some of the most gifted die engravers came from this island. Of the top 10 most beautiful ancient coins ever I would argue at least half of them would have to come from this small island.

Beautiful coin.

10. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Wow, that is so nice.

Show us which one you feel is the most beautiful. :) I love seeing these ancients. Especially these stunning ones that don't look like the rocks laying around my yard.

11. medoraman

Here is wildwinds entry for Syracuse. I think most would agree at least a couple of the most beautiful cions ever came from here. It is also located in Sicily.

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/sicily/syracuse/i.html

Here is a particularly pretty piece.

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sg/sg0999.html

12. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Wow, those have some amazing detail. Especially the second one. Truly works of art. I wish I could tell the size by looking at it, some sort of reference.

13. medoraman

Those are just Wildwinds entries. Trust me, there are nicer coins out there. The second piece is about the size of a quarter but thick like a silver dollar.

I am somewhat spoiled by having a member of my ancient coin club who owns such pieces. I have held in my hand better pieces than any of these photos. It truly does take your breath away to see such beauty in person. I know exactly what I will do if I win the lottery. :)

P.S. Want to know about spoiled, ask Ardatirion. ;)

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Yeah, Syracuse has allot of neat coins

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

ummm - no

17. Ardatirion

We don't like your kind 'round here. :D

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Seems about normal

19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Do I see a challenge? :D

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I challenge you too a Dual to the death!

21. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I challenge you too a Dual to the death!

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted