The new Spanish 2003 coins have arrived

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Tiziano, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Tiziano

Tiziano New Member

I have seen the new 2003 spanish coins in
    http://cgi.es.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4941&item=3013819840&rd=1

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. laz

laz New Member

Why is it listed as rare?Isn't this coin the normal 1 Cent coin from Spain now? :roll: I don't care for the way "rare" is over used.I've never seen a true rarity sell for $1.00 8O ~ Jim

4. Tiziano

Tiziano New Member

Well, Maybe you can obtain 1 cent coin 2003 easily but I live in Spain and it is a really unfrecuent coin. 1999, 2001 and 2002 1 cent coins are usual and common. 2000 and 2003 are rare and they are not in the street. 2 cent 2002, 5 cent 2002, 20 cent 2000 and 50 cent 2002 are rare too in Spain. Some 1 cent coins (2001) are rare in Belgium, France 2002 is rare, the finnish 1 and 2 cents are really rare. I don't know what coins are rare in Massachusets but I know what coins are rare in Spain,
    Regards

5. laz

laz New Member

Ah,then it isn't rare,just not circulating yet.There's a big difference.I call a coin RARE if it has an extremely limited mintage.What your saying,I can say about the 2003 Lincoln Cent! it must be RARE,I haven't seen ANY of them in change yet! Ah,but there will probably be a billion minted,so is it truly rare,or just percieved as being rare. I doubt that any regular issue Euros will be considered rare,with the possible exception of the Vatican issues which I understand are limited. My point is the word "rare" is often,as in this case, misused.
    I specialize in coins that have extremely small mintages.Many of these are considered "common" today because of the small number of serious collector's in this area.Your coin has probably 100 time higher mintage. The fact that you don't see them in change doesn't make them rare.It doesn't make any difference which part of the world you live in,rare coins are just not seen in circulation! You might be interested in joining our EW5 group "World Coin Collecting" it's totally free like everything in Error World.Here's the link... http://groups.msn.com/WorldCoinCollecting/_whatsnew.msnw Happy collecting! ~ Jim

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Basically I agree; every time I see the word "rare" (or "RARE!!" or "Extremely rare!") on eBay, for example, I get skeptical ...

In the case of the 2003 euro coins, however, things may be different. Some member states apparently produced so many coins between 1998 and 2002 that certain nominals do not really need to be made this year. Some will only be available in mint sets, in other cases the mintage will be considerably lower than in the first years. Don't know, however, whether that is the case with the 2003 Spanish 1 cent piece.

Christian

7. Bill Henderson

Bill Henderson New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted