The Most Detailed view of the Modern Minting Process

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Apr 12, 2024.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I just stumbled across this video. It has one of the most detailed views of the modern minting process. A thorough look at the industrial production of US coins. There are a few inaccuracies in descriptions, but overall, I've never seen such good footage of how the US Mint actually works (bullion coins are discussed first, but the second half of the video shows a Shield Cent go from sheet metal arriving at the mint to bagged and shipped). I highly recommend everyone give this a watch.

Spark1951, calcol, ldhair and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

It was great, thanks for posting. It does make me wonder how a cointed minted for circulation could ever be a 70.

JPD3 likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

No more clumsy baggage handlers, just clumsy robotics......

lardan and SensibleSal66 like this.
  5. Joel Turner

Joel Turner Active Member Supporter

Thanks for posting.

6. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Thanks for the post. Nice video. Despite the title and intro, the video also shows some operations in the Denver and Philly mints as well as West Point, perhaps San Francisco too.

Interesting that when proofs are multi-struck, the dies and planchet don't move apart between strikes. Instead, repeated impulses are made to the upper die. Makes it less likely for the planchet to rotate between strikes.

Cal

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted