The Morgan Re-Grading Challenge Part I

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jaceravone, Mar 11, 2017.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Nice results. They seemed to stay fairly consistent, which is a good thing these day's.

jaceravone and ddddd like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Good post. The results looked good for the most part. I too cracked out a lot of coins in my younger collecting days. I should send them in and see how I do. Now that I'm middle aged I worry about leaving my collections to someone like my wife. I need to get them so that she can sell them and not get skinned.

jaceravone likes this.
  4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Not bad. Not much change...I look forward to "the rest of the story" :D

jaceravone likes this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Decent submission, I'd say. Nice bumps on the 82 and the 85-CC.

jaceravone likes this.
  6. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Wow. Thanks for sharing this. It sure piqued my curiosity. If you don't mind me asking, what did this grading spree end up costing? I'll understand if you don't want to divulge that information.

jaceravone likes this.
  7. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

It was not cheap. It cost $850 for this batch. The next batch won't be so cheap. Working on saving up for that one. I'm almost there as I am expecting it to be close to $1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ike Skywalker likes this.
  8. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Very cool to see. Actually quite pleased to see just how consistent they were with the grades.

jaceravone and jtlee321 like this.
  9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Some went up, some went down, but results were within what I'd expect.

I'm more interested in how your raw coins graded compared to what you expected them to get. That's a more interesting test of your skill.

jaceravone likes this.
  10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Heck, I don't think he would have hazarded a chance on these unless he trusted his own grading skills. Joe has 'crossed over'.........he used to be a 'modern guy'. :)

Congrats on the results old friend.

Tater and jaceravone like this.
  11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Oh, sure, absolutely - no disrespect intended. I was just curious how his expected grades matched with the TPGs grades.

jaceravone and green18 like this.
  12. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I bought each coin as if it would grade at least a 63. Most came back 62 but fortunately most were common dates and can be cheaply upgraded. There was one 58 which I will probably crack out and resubmit as I firmly believe that it is a solid 64.

13. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Yeah the good old days arguing about Ike's and finding new varities. Do you have any of those Ike's left or do are you still into them.

jaceravone likes this.
  14. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Hello old friend. As much as I miss my Ike's I sold off the last of them at a fairly good loss. I never got into coins to make money but I sure didn't like to see my investment drop in the gutter. The problem with the IKes is that i acquired them when there weren't many high grades out there and I had all the top pops. Now with all the plus grades and high submissions, my Ike's became less valuable over night. So is the curse of the coin collector. Only focus on a few sets now with my Morgans being the main one.

green18 likes this.
  15. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I think you did pretty good. One of these days I will do the same thing with some of my large cents.

jaceravone likes this.
  16. Koinman

Koinman New Member

If I may ask, as I'm late to this thread.....how many moons ago were these cracked-out PCGS coins graded? I'm going to 'assume' they were probably 'newer', as in newer than 'rattlers' and doilies, but very interested in when they WERE graded. Thanks for discussing this topic/your quandary!

PS...congrats on not getting crushed while re-slabbing these. I'll be VERY interested in seeing how the NGC coins turn out.

17. green18

Most were cracked out years ago. The ones that remained seemed much too lax to achieve an higher grade. But I'm more optimistic. I think that many remaining would upgrade, but what would that achieve? Money for some, yes. But more would be lost. The originality, the history, the journey. The history. That's what I love. :)

jaceravone likes this.
  18. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Yes, there were rattlers, doilies, etc, etc. At the time, the slabs meant nothing to me. I collected the coin and looked for quality coins.

I should also note that most of the raw ones that I submitted were some of my first Morgans that I purchased long before I knew anything about grading. We are talking about 10-15 years ago. Its been almost 10 years for me being on CT. A lot has changed since then.

green18 likes this.
  19. green18

Cripes Joe.......were're contemporaries. Brothers, collectors,investigators, investors. searchers......but collectors foremost.

jaceravone likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted