The Monster Toned Coin Game Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Most of these tend to go dark. 3.9

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Looks lighter in person... I give it a 4.5

13873234_1004649469655651_2112418143831355301_n copy.jpg
    13895117_1004649509655647_2403320831621929387_n copy.jpg

4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The obverse has some terminal toning—fade to black. It isn’t higher than the 3s. Many proofs tone unattractively,

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I like the moose, but the toning just isn’t one.

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Geez you guys are brutal on toning. I find it beautiful.

7. Morgandude11

It is an attractive coin, but we are comparing it to some beasts. I would own your coin, but it does not compare to really high level toning on some of the coins. Many of the toners we’ve evaluated are thousands of dollars, and lots of them have pedigrees.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I like it much better than a white coin, but kind of hard to put a number on it. Maybe 3.8

Morgandude11 likes this.
  9. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Pedigree (or more appropriately provenance) is irrelevant for scoring. The toning should speak for itself.

spirityoda and expat like this.
  10. Morgandude11

To me it has some relevance, as certain collections are know for spectacular toning. The Sunnywood collection, as a whole, has so many spectacular toned coins, that it is almost a primer on toning. Pedigree is linguistically appropriate in referring to coins that are celebrated by ownership, or association.

11. brg5658

Provenance is the correct word, not pedigree. Unless you know of someone who has spawned the coins in their collection. Precision in language is important. These are coins, not dogs.

I get that there are some collections known for nicely toned coins, but that provenance does not make a coin a monster. The coin is the coin, regardless of who previously owned it. Likewise the amount of money paid for a coin is not always indicative of a coins toning.

Implying that someone’s coin isn’t a monster simply because it wasn’t in some named collection and it wasn’t sold for stupid money is not a fair argument.

12. Morgandude11

Here we go again. :).https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/pedigrees/

NGC disagrees with you.

Paul M. and furham like this.
  13. brg5658

Where are we going? Someone of your “sophistication” should know better than to make blanket statements as you did, and should know that provenance is the word, not pedigree. Be cranky if you’d like, but that doesn’t change reality. :cigar:

14. Morgandude11

Read what NGC says in/re a coin’s pedigree. Not my words—theirs. If you have an issue with referring to a coin’s “pedigree,” please contact NGC. Do you need their phone number? :)

Paul M. likes this.
  15. brg5658

I couldn’t give two spits what NGC calls it, that doesn’t make it right. Open a dictionary.

16. Morgandude11

I will stick with the vernacular used by most numismatic experts, and TPGs. Provenance is used more frequently, with respect to fine art. Pedigree is used to indicate celebrated ownership, as in “Ex Jack Lee.” NGC and PCGS both utilize pedigree. If you don’t choose to agree with accepted numismatic authorities, so be it. I could care less.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/pedigrees-why-theyre-important

Paul M. likes this.
  17. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Good day everyone. I will just set the scene. I inherited a collection at the end of Dec 2019. Among them is a collection of Norwegian .925 commemoratives. I have 12 of the one I am featuring and 60 of other denomonations. They were all stored individually by my father-in-law in these little coin envelopes (shown below). Only one other coin shows any toning at all and that is very light and around the outside under the rim. This one on the other hand seems to have a liking for standing out from the crowd. I rate this toning as at least a solid 4.
    Over to you
    DSC01310.jpg 20200708_225457 (2)-crop.jpg 20200708_230304 (2)-crop.jpg

18. ddddd

ddddd Member

I like it as a 4.1
    ...it's interesting that only one toned like that despite all being in the same packaging and likely being in the same environment (maybe one envelope was closer to a toning source or the coin was already toned/partially toned when it went into the envelope?)

19. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

That is possible but something I will never know now.

20. Morgandude11

I like it also. Not every coin has to have blazing toning. The soft blend of pastels especially on the reverse is very attractive. Envelope toning,
    I go 4.4

expat likes this.
  21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Exactly the same difference between "science" and common sense. I am not about giving up my tastes just because someone say's I should.

Draft saved Draft deleted