The Monster Toned Coin Game Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Okay, these were a matched pair I owned and sold two years ago. They have been sold, and resold twice. One is up for sale again. Both are MS 65s. The TruViews are accurate, in terms of color.

Coin A:

FBEBEECE-CBAD-4E22-8236-8F03BFA344CF.jpeg

Coin B:

AF76C7FD-EABB-4064-A784-514009077B9E.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Eric the Red, Paul M. and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

Morgandude11 likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

My scores are
    3...for the reverse toned 81-S...nice colors but the area above the Eagle's head seems to knock it back a level
    5...for the obverse toned 80-S...great rainbow colors and semi pl too!

Morgandude11 likes this.
  5. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

My score for mine was in between 2 and 3, so I'll say 3 just to be nice to myself.

For Morgandude's I'm saying 3 and 4. The second is quite nice, but it isn't really enough for a 5. I think if I were exact I would call the second one a 4.4

6. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

First one is a 3 for me. The reverse lacks a good flow of color progression.

The second is a 5 for me. Right on par with the Battle Creek shown earlier. Beautiful progression of the entire spectrum of color with some solid luster.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Coin A: 3
    Coin B: 5

Coin B is very nice, gem semi proof like surfaces in combination with vibrant rainbow colors that cover most of the obverse. This is just below the monster category.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Great idea for a thread!

1881 S - 3.0 (purples and greens are great, but the mottled spot at the top rule out anything higher. Reverse toning will always be less desirable than the same obverse toning, as well.)

1880 S - 4.7 (Fantastic array of colors, but I just can't go up to 5 for the really dark, bordering on black toning on the obverse. I love the way the semi-pl surfaces make the colors pop, but that just emphasizes even more how comparatively dull the black areas are.)

ddddd and kSigSteve like this.
  9. Morgandude11

Just for informational purposes. I sold the pair in 2018 for $1000 to a dealer. The 1880s was resold, and sold for the second time for $1999.00. The 1881s is for sale for the third time. I believe they are asking $500.
    Originally I bought both 7 years ago. I pad $450 for both, together. They were reholdered, and TruViewed by the dealer. The 80s was originally a 65, and the 81s was a 64, so it upgraded after I sold it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    ddddd likes this.
  10. Morgandude11

Okay, time for next? I think 3 and 5 was the consensus. I would agree.

ddddd likes this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

Summary
    Rd. 1: 1883-O Morgan NGC MS63* [Obv]...CT -> 3.6 (Mid) vs You -> 4 (Mid-High)
    Rd. 2: 1880 Morgan PCGS MS62 [Obv]...CT -> 2.7 (Low-Mid) vs You -> 3 (Mid)
    Rd. 3: 1881-S Morgan PCGS MS65 [Rev]...CT -> 3 (Mid) vs You -> 3 (Mid)
    Rd. 4: 1880-S Morgan PCGS MS65 [Obv]...CT -> 4.6 (Mid-High) vs You -> 5 (High)

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

@Lehigh96 you can post next
    ...and if anyone else has one please let me know

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

14. Morgandude11

Mid high 4. High grade, and spectacular surface preservation—almost prooflike on Obverse. Toning is a very attractive crescent rainbow on the obverse, less so on the reverse. Obverse has a bit too much black at the top of the crescent for my taste. Great premium for that coin for sure, but short of monster for me. A coin like this would sell at a big premium, and NGC gave it the star. I would bet on a $1000 premium.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

I’ll go with a 3.
    This one has great color but it covers too little of the coin for it to go higher.

16. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I think it’s a 3. Nice grade and eye appeal. To me it’s just lacking more color although it’s a very nice coin and grade.

17. physics-fan3.14

I agree with a 3. What it has is nice, it just doesn't have much.

And @ddddd , I've got one after this.

ddddd, Morgandude11 and Lehigh96 like this.
  18. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I'd go with a 3 for Lehigh's most recent post. Not enough coverage of the coin/design for a 4 or higher.

An aside: It's a pity this thread is mostly geared towards Morgans. They are hideously designed coins, for which at least some toning is almost necessary to make them worth owning. :cigar:

Catbert and Lehigh96 like this.
  19. physics-fan3.14

I think we're starting with Morgans because they are the most common, and most commonly advertised as so-called "monsters," but I believe that the thread is open to other types of coins. I personally don't have many Morgans, but have owned many other toned coins.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  20. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I'll go with 4.
    Not sure how much the lack of coverage holds it down in my view. It is a factor.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  21. ddddd

ddddd Member

Second sentence in my original post. ;)
    "My idea is to focus on Morgans (since those are the coins most often tagged with this term) but we can include other coins as well."

Morgandude11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted