The Monster Toned Coin Game Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

5. For Jeffersons, that is about as good as it gets.

wxcoin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Goldsayshi463

Goldsayshi463 the person who says "hi" all the time

5 but after this can I post something it’s the only one that I ever found and it’s not graded

4. Goldsayshi463

plus this is first time playing the gam

5. Goldsayshi463

hello anyone here :(:(:(:(:(:(

6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

It is @ddddd thread so you gotta wait for him to chime in. I am sure he will be along later on today, and he hasn't yet given his opinion of my nickel.

Goldsayshi463 and ddddd like this.
  7. Lehigh96

I agree that toning doesn't get much better than this on a nickel, and for that reason, I give it a MONSTER 6 rating.

Goldsayshi463, Morgandude11 and ddddd like this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

I am at a nice 4 on the nickel.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

Summary
    Rd. 1: 1883-O Morgan NGC MS63* [Obv]...CT -> 3.6 (Mid) vs You -> 4 (Mid-High)
    Rd. 2: 1880 Morgan PCGS MS62 [Obv]...CT -> 2.7 (Low-Mid) vs You -> 3 (Mid)
    Rd. 3: 1881-S Morgan PCGS MS65 [Rev]...CT -> 3 (Mid) vs You -> 3 (Mid)
    Rd. 4: 1880-S Morgan PCGS MS65 [Obv]...CT -> 4.6 (Mid-High) vs You -> 5 (High)
    Rd. 5: 1880-S Morgan NGC MS66* [Obv]...CT -> 3.2 (Mid) vs You -> 3 (Mid)
    Rd. 6: 1880-S Morgan PCGS MS?? [Rev]...CT -> 3.5 (Mid) vs You -> 3 (Mid)
    Rd. 7: 1887 Morgan PCGS MS64 [Obv]...CT-> 4.2 (Mid-High) vs You-> 4 (Mid-High)
    Rd. 8: 1939-D Lincoln PCGS MS65RB [Obv]...CT-> 4.1 (Mid-High) vs You-> 5 (High)
    Rd. 9: 1972-D Ike PCGS MS63 [Obv]...CT-> 2.3 (Low-Mid) vs You-> 2 (Low-Mid)
    Rd. 10: 1892 GB Half Crown PCGS MS64 [Dual]...CT-> 4 (Mid-High) vs You-> 4 (Mid-High)
    Rd. 11: 1967 UK Half Crown PCGS MS65+ [Dual]...CT-> 3 (Mid) vs You-> 3 (Mid)
    Rd. 12: 1963 Franklin NGC MS65+* FBL [Rev]...CT-> 4 (Mid-High) vs You-> 4 (Mid-High)
    Rd. 13: 1884-O Morgan PCGS MS63+ [Obv]...CT -> 5 (High) vs You -> 5 (High)
    Rd. 14: 1899 GB 6 Pence PCGS MS65 [Dual]...CT-> 5 (High) vs You-> 5 (High)
    Rd. 15: 1926 F.I.C. Piastre PCGS AU58 [Dual]...CT-> 3 (Mid) vs You-> 5 (High)
    Rd. 16: 1904 USP Peso NGC PF62 [Dual]...CT-> 2.8 (Low-Mid) vs You-> 4 (Mid-High)
    Rd. 17: 1944 Jeff Nickel PCGS MS 66 [Obv]...CT-> 4.8 (Mid-High) vs You-> 5 (High)
    Rd. 18: 1880-S Morgan PCGS MS 66+ [Obv]...CT-> 2.7 (Low-Mid) vs You-> 3 (Mid)
    Rd. 19: 1881-S Morgan PCGS MS 68+ [Obv]...CT-> 6 (Monster) vs You-> 6 (Monster)
    Rd. 20: 1887 Morgan PCGS MS 66+ [Obv]...CT-> 5.3 (High) vs You-> 6 (Monster)
    Rd. 21: 1880-S Morgan NGC MS 66* [Obv]...CT-> 4.5 (Mid-High) vs You-> 5 (High)
    Rd. 22: 1941-D Jeff Nickel NGC MS 67* 5FS [Dual]...CT-> 4.9 (Mid-High) vs You-> 6 (Monster)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

11. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Missed some notifications for this thread. I would have said 6 on the Jefferson also. These did not have the same conditions to generate some of the wild colors we see on Morgan’s. This is easily defined as a monster in my opinion. That coin could easily be the centerpiece of any Jefferson set.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  12. ddddd

ddddd Member

@kSigSteve I added in your vote to the totals as I still had editing abilities on the post above.

13. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

If this was a game for nickels only I would have probably gone 6. Silver toning seems to have a bias since they tend to have more vivid, deep coloring.

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  14. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

I suppose silver war nickels are a bit more dramatic and comparing them with this one is probably unfair...
    The previous is very evenly toned on both sides, subdued and lovely, but lacks fire and drama. 5 for me max.

15. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I agree. I am changing my rating to 6. Nickel just does not tone as brilliantly as does Silver. That coin is spectacular, and I would be proud to own it. Rating changed to solid 6 Godzilla.

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  16. Goldsayshi463

17. Goldsayshi463

K but u can’t go higher than 5. Also it’s a penny image.jpg image.jpg It’s supposed to be a light blue to a whitish-yellow, rims to the center, on both sides, but camera doesn’t show that great.

Attached Files:

18. Goldsayshi463

What?! I mean to put it in large form sry. Light-blue to a lime green to a whitish-yellow

19. Lehigh96

When you compare the last two Jefferson Nickels posted in this thread, its absurd that the war nickel got a higher rating than my 41-D. That coin is nice but the reverse toning actually has negative eye appeal whereas the 41-D is blanketed by emerald green, pink, orange, and lavender.

This coin is the best toned Jefferson I have ever seen, and frankly, it isn't close. I think people are forgetting, the fact that it is predominantly toned in emerald green is extremely important. Green is the "GO" color that is highly coveted by toning enthusiasts. If it is the best toned Jefferson, then by default, it should deserve a 6. I guess you, me, and @kSigSteve will be on that island alone.

Morgandude11 and kSigSteve like this.
  20. Lehigh96

I am not trying to be mean, but that is a 1.

Goldsayshi463 likes this.
  21. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I thought we were rating based on the same criteria as what were called "Monster" for a Morgan in the OP. Not relative to the series, but absolute across all series. That Jeff Nickel is no question a 6 if rated relative to Jefferson nickels, but it's no where even close to a 6 on an absolute scale as compared to the pictured Morgans in the OP.

There seem to be two types of ratings going on in this thread. Some clarity as to whether we are numbering relative to a particular series or absolute based on colors/toning, independent of the series. As was noted before, some series will simply top out at 4 or 5 on the absolute scale, and would be relative monsters in that series, but not absolute monsters (i.e., 6-es).

thomas mozzillo and LuxUnit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted