Featured The Moby Dick Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinCorgi, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Definitely either an Aureus of Julius Caesar OR a beautiful 1794 Flowing Hair Dollar.

But I know I'll never be able to afford either.

Unless Bitcoin skyrockets to $2 million per BTC. xD

CoinCorgi likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gam3rBlake

That happened to me when I was in highschool and forced to read Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter". I have always loved reading but I just couldn't make it past the first couple of chapters without losing all interest. It was painful to finish reading it. I must've spent 2 weeks reading 1 chapter per day so I could stomach it.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  4. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey CoinCorgi very nice read sir. i would say my white whale is the 1919-D walker in a MS grade. great thread. good luck man

CoinCorgi likes this.
  5. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Very dated and obsolete language and awkward read for sure.

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Among the coins that are possible, I would like a Humbert U.S. Assay Office California $50 gold gold piece that is not beaten to pieces. Properly graded would be a big plus. Too many of them are optimistically graded these days. I have spotted a couple over the last seven or eight years, but was not able to buy them at that moment.

My ultimate “white whale” would the the King of Siam Proof set. That one totally beyond my ability to pay.

7. Gam3rBlake

I’m a huge fan of the $50 California gold pieces too. Boy are they expensive! The one I saw was I think XF and like $40,000. O_O

I got a chance to hold one about a month ago and it was as hefty as you would expect 2.5 oz of gold to be.

8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The first $50 gold slug I saw that liked was priced at $65,000. I had just acquired the last coin I needed to finish my type set and did not have the cash. The second one was $72,000, and now I don’t spend that kind of money for one coin.

9. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

10. Tall Paul

Tall Paul Supporter! Supporter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_(whaleship)

The link will take to the story of the Essex, it was a whaling ship out of Nantucket that was sunk by a sperm whale. The sinking of the Essex was Melville's inspiration for Moby Dick.

coolhandred24 and CoinCorgi like this.
  11. Millard

Millard Coindog

Read it. Enjoyed it. Remember the passage where he nailed to coin to the mast. Liked the movie(s) too. And now I gotta read it again. :happy:

CoinCorgi likes this.
  12. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I find reading old English to be laborious, tedious and a distraction to the story. What I find even worse than old English is Shakespearean English.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  13. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Formally, Old English (capital "O"), predates Melville by quite a bit (800 years or so), but I know what you meant.

Old English is what Beowulf was written in. My freshman year college English/Literature professor was fluent in Old English - the dude was a freak of nature and probably older than Doug @GDJMSP . Not surprisingly, we spent most of the semester reading (or listening to him read it to us) Beowulf. And to tie this into a thread about whales...

A detail of the first page of the Beowulf manuscript, showing the words "ofer hron rade", i.e. "over the whale's road (=sea)".​

Shakespeare wrote in Early Modern English/Elizabethan English/Shakespearian English.

14. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

And Melville in Middle Turgid!
    :)

CoinCorgi likes this.
  15. CoinCorgi

16. CoinCorgi

I have found my White Whale!!! Hurray! Picked up a few rolls of quarters from the bank today and, lo and behold, there she was!!! All covered in barnacles and seaweed, but I now have a 2010-D Yosemite.

Take that Ahab!

masterswimmer likes this.
  17. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

My white whale is the 1935 Hudson Commem with Neptune's face being something other than a blob, and sails on the Half Moon showing detail. It actually may not exists, but I'm looking.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  18. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

My white whale is now being shipped to me :D Of course that leaves the 93-s so not all my whales caught yet :D
    1895_o.jpg 1895_o_r.jpg

CoinCorgi likes this.
  19. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

it twere pre 1800 coinage, us, but i have since purchased 2 pre 1800 cents, and a dollar, so now that urge is fulfilled, maybe a 55 double die, or a complete set of ms-68+ ikes??

CoinCorgi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted