"The Missouri Hoard" Silver Eagles

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jph55, Jul 12, 2021.

1. jph55

jph55 New Member

I have the chance to buy a complete set of 4 silver eagles (2011-2014) that are ANACS certified MS70 "The Missouri Hoard Limited Edition #0004 of 1997". All 4 coins are #0004 of 1997 and San Francisco mint marked. There is only one that has sold on eBay, a 2012 for $81. I cannot find anything about the "Missouri Hoard" and am curious as to a premium (if any) they may have individually or as a complete matching numbers set.

[​IMG]

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well..... I been collecting coins for fifty years and I never heard of a Missouri hoard. That doesn't mean that there isn't one, but here's the deal..... There are plenty of folks on TV and on the web that pay to have fancy labels made for bullion coins. To many of us, they are still rendered as bullion coins. If you want to collect bullion coins, that is cool. We all have things we like to collect. Myself, if I am buying a bullion piece, I am buying it as a bullion purchase regardless of what the fancy label may say. I place no premium at all on a label.

4. jph55

jph55 New Member

That's what my common sense was telling me as well. A find of almost 8000 silver eagles with no historical significance is just 8000 coins entering the marketplace.

5. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Nifty name for a hoard. Stinks that it's taken. Guess I'll just have to stick with the @CoinJockey73 hoard of W mint mark quarters, lol. I think i just made mine more valuable too!

6. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

It could happen.;)

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Some hoard names are actually true; however, many dealers, auctions, and TV sellers add a made-up "name" to pedigree a group of coins and to hype their common junk. At one time I worked for a SAH supplier and it was fun thinking up new names for the TV show and full page coin adds.

8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

the (S) in the brackets means it's not mint marked. It's a bullion strike that was identified as being minted in San Fran by the seals on the monster box.

this "hoard" is from someone that sat on unopened sealed boxes of those years and then sold them to a marketer that had them graded.

That said I think $83 is a bit high for an ANACS MS70. I wouldn't put any value in it being (S), or it being "Missouri hoard". Maybe a MS69 is $45-55... Maybe MS70 is like $55-$65 or so.

All of them are bullion silver eagles and a total marketing gimmick in my opinion, you could pay more for the grade, but honestly not much more than melt value in my opinion so you give just a bit more than the "we buy silver" guys should be enough to get it.
    There ain't no ANACS registry set for MS70 ANACS coins. it's not that hot and unlikely to actually cross over to MS70 PCGS or NGC. I wouldn't pay more than MS69 price for it, but probably more than melt.

Inspector43 likes this.
  9. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Wonder why the presidential seal...? President Harry Truman was famously from MO, but can't figure a connection to/with this.

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Buy the coin, not the holder.

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

Buy my Timewarp hoard of Indian Head cents I found detecting.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  12. Insider

From what I've seen, I'd rather trust the actual coin that came out of an ANACS
    MS-70 slab is of better quality than the top two services. AND...it sells for less money. :D

13. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Lol, exactly!

Timewarp likes this.
  14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, I like ANACS grading personally, just saying that NGC or PCGS aren't likely to cross it at the same grade, so they aren't worthwhile as a MS70 for a Registry set and for 100 reasons unknown to me besides the registry sets, ANACS doesn't sell as high as NGC or PCGS slabs usually.

15. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I thought the same thing. More I thought about it, I am sure it was a marketing addition with the specific intent of making that label appear important.

Mac McDonald and Inspector43 like this.
  16. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Those gimmick labels will all disappear in a few years as the novice collectors realize that the gimmick gives zero enhancement to the coin itself. Potential buyers will say "duh, what does that mean?"

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That label can be read 2 different ways. First it can be like you said in your opening post but it could also mean number 4 of 1,997 coins. Not 1997. I’m just wondering how a coin can be dated 2012 and be referred to as a hoard of 1997. I’m definitely confused.

18. Insider

Collecting Nut, asked: "I’m just wondering how a coin can be dated 2012 and be referred to as a hoard of 1997. I’m definitely confused."

Let me try to help. There were probably one thousand nine hundred and ninety-seven coins in the batch. Each one is numbered from 1 to 1997. He has the coin assigned number four. IMO, that is the only way to read the label.

19. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

When my family asked me to sell my grandmother's collection a while back, we came up with the idea (well, I did mostly) of holding back enough silver dollars for every living member of the family to get one.

Now, because I have a couple cousins who are, shall we say, less than stellar...we decided it would be safer/better to have the coins graded with my grandparents' names on them. We figured it would be harder for them to sell/pawn them if my grandparents' names were on the slabs. (I don't think they would, but they might. Or one of their wives definitely might.)

I called ANACS and was able to get my grandparents' names on the slabs for a small extra fee.

What I'm saying is that I could do the same with my own collection - come up with a fancy name for it, pay the appropriate fee, and voila - instant provenance. Not that it really means anything for some regular person like me. Now, someone rich and famous - different story. But each one of us here could technically come up with our collection/hoard names and get them on slabs...for the correct fee.

jamor1960 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  20. Insider

Mine would be the "She Hoard" composed of coins I have that she doesn't know about.

jamor1960, Timewarp, Dug13 and 3 others like this.
  21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted