The Mint's Numismatic Forum in Philly

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by V. Kurt Bellman, Sep 22, 2016.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I got the "golden ticket" email yesterday. October 13 at the Philly Federal Reserve. Who else is in?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

NO idea what this "golden ticket" is...but it sounds interesting and exciting...please elaborate.

4. V. Kurt Bellman

I had applied to attend and I was accepted as a participant. I will attempt to post the whole agenda.

fish4uinmd likes this.
  5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Bring back lots of chocolate :)

SmokinJoe likes this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

The email:

Dear Coin Collector Hobbyist and Mint Supporter:

On behalf of Principal Deputy Director Rhett Jeppson, I am pleased to inform you that your request to attend our Numismatic Forum on October 13, 2016, in Philadelphia has been accepted. The purpose of the event is to gather leaders and stakeholders of the numismatic community to explore ways to stimulate and revitalize the hobby. As we approach the U.S. Mint’s 225th anniversary next year, we hope this unique opportunity to examine and discuss the Mint’s past, present and future will help move all the elements of the numismatic industry forward.

The Forum will take place at the Federal Reserve Bank in downtown Philadelphia. The Federal Reserve is located at:
    7th St. Visitor Entrance* (Between Arch & Race Sts.)
    Philadelphia, PA 19106

*There is an employee entrance on 6th Street, but visitors are not permitted to use this entry.

Registration will open at 8:30 a.m. with discussion and activities beginning promptly at 9:00 a.m. Only those who have directly received confirmation from the U.S. Mint will be allowed to attend. The Federal Reserve Bank requires individuals to show photo identification to enter the building.

The tentative agenda for the day is as follows:
    Welcome/Introductions
    8:30 a.m.—Guests arrive/registration/sign in
    9:00 a.m.—Welcome and introductions from U.S. Mint
    9:05 a.m.—Round robin introductions from attendees
    9:20 a.m.—Kick-off remarks
    9:30 a.m.—Setting the stage; ground rules
    The Past
    9:45 a.m.—U.S. Mint Heritage Assets overview
    10:00 a.m.—Smithsonian Numismatic Collection overview
    10:20 a.m.—Break
    The Present
    10:35 a.m.—Mint product update and marketing initiatives update
    11:20 a.m.—“Invigorating the Coin Collecting Hobby” panel discussion
    Lunch
    12:45-1:45 p.m. (The FRB has a large cafeteria to purchase lunch)
    The Future
    1:45 p.m.—Prepare for afternoon breakout groups; overview/instructions given*
    * Discussion topics and group assignments will be shared upon your arrival.
    2:00 p.m.—Break into working groups
    3:00 p.m.—Conclude working group sessions; Break
    3:15 p.m.—Working groups report out to the group as a whole
    4:30 p.m.—Closing comments
    4:45 p.m.—Depart Federal Reserve for U.S. Mint
    United States Mint Visit
    5:30 p.m.—Light refreshments at the Philadelphia Mint
    7:00 p.m.—Day concludes

The Philadelphia Mint is one block away from the Federal Reserve Bank. However, if you are unable to walk this distance, we will gladly provide transportation for you. Please let us know if you will require transportation assistance.

Please see the attached travel information for parking information, directions and hotels that are nearby.

[redacted]

We look forward to your participation.

Tom Jurkowsky
    Chief, Office of Corporate Communications
    U.S. Mint
    801 9th St., NW
    Washington, DC 20220

7. V. Kurt Bellman

Of course, for some coin guys, the fact that it's in a Fed regional bank building disqualifies them - plagues of locusts, fire from the sky, you know... the apocalypse with scary music by Carl Orff.

8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Well, it should be an interesting day. I would have applied to go had it not meant a flight and one or two hotel nights. The 85 minute panel discussion is well timed, coming on the heels of a 45 minute marketing presentation. People should have a lot to question the panel about at that time, but then I refer you to my previous illustration. After all, the marketing presentation is all about what they intend to do.

The 60 minute working groups seem to be the only real opportunity to actually contribute something.

A thought: Since your working group topics will be known when you arrive, share them here and check back at lunch for comments that you can take into the working groups.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

In my opinion, the Smithsonian Numismatic Collection is an underutilized asset, so there's that. I know my marketing advice will be to maximize the interests of the individual collector and let the fortunes of dealers to the marketplace. Whether a secondary market exists or not should be none of the Mint's concern.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you're driving, just be careful where you park. The Philadelphia Parking Authority will be watching you!

Chris

11. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Ha they called you a mint supporter lol. Thats almost an insult

12. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Is it just a coincidence that revesing the 13 in your Oct. 13 date is Halloween? :eek:

13. V. Kurt Bellman

Two words for you - Amtrak, taxicab.

14. V. Kurt Bellman

Nah, I hate the sins, but love the sinner.

Evan8 likes this.
  15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

So, I guess that means that we won't be seeing you on "Parking Wars".

Chris

charlietig likes this.
  16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Who still uses taxi cabs? Too bad the mint isn't in Pittsburg so you can try out the self driving uber cars

17. V. Kurt Bellman

I do. This is still the east coast, man. We are traditionalists. We made the country exist, not the other way around, dude. The federal constitution, up until the Great Compromise, was largely lifted FROM the Pennsylvania one. Then we found that bicameralism can be used to deflect blame onto the other chamber. :eek::rolleyes::D

18. V. Kurt Bellman

I've lived in eastern Pennsylvania for 61 years - long enough to know you NEVER take a car into Philly unless you absolutely have to. Heck, I even use trains to get to Philly International when I fly. I've now been to about 15 ANA shows; summer, late winter, and one fall one in Pittsburgh. I've never had a car to park at ANY of them, strictly public transportation. I have Chicago hard transit cards, Boston Charlie cards, you name it. I've even sworn off driving into Baltimore for Whitman shows; Amtrak or Greyhound only.

To me, taking my car into ANY major city is ASKING for trouble.

By the way, the legislative committee I work for has oversight over the Philadelphia Parking Authority, who in turn also runs the traditional medallioned taxi system. :eek::D:D:D:oops:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  19. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

As I posted yesterday in the original thread, I've been accepted as well. We'll see how it plays out; I'm hardly expecting to drive them before me.

I may spend the $2.25 and ride the El there, but I'll probably walk. :)

20. V. Kurt Bellman

[Begin approx. 1 Hz clap beat.]

"You can't get to heaven
    on the Frankford EL,
    'Cuz the Frankford EL
    goes straight to.... Frankford."

21. V. Kurt Bellman

The ANA has two people coming - E.D. Kim Kiick, and Membership Director Cary Hardy, I hear.

Draft saved Draft deleted