Featured The Mexican 50 Peso Gold 'Centenario' Set

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by J.T. Parker, Aug 28, 2019.

1. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

CORRECTION: These coins WERE Not originally minted for commerce, as I was originally told & were strictly meant as a Commerative
    Gold Bullion mintage.
    A dab of History:
    Mexico has been an independent country since its independence from Spain, in September 1821 & this Mexican 50 Peso gold coin was first minted /dated 1921, 100 years after this date & thusly named 'The Centenario'. To my knowledge, it is one of two* largest gold coins minted in consecutive years
    gold-weight wise, (Containing 1.20565 ounces of pure gold). This coin was designed by Emilio del Moral & is edge lettered:
    "INDEPENDENCIA Y LIBERTAD”.
    *Only the Peruvian 100 Gold Soles contains more gold. (1.3543 ounces) & is larger.
    The 100 Soles was only minted from 1950-1970.
    The Centenario Mintage
    Year Quantity minted
    1921 180,000
    1922 463,000
    1923 432,000
    1924 439,000
    1925 716,000
    1926 600,000
    1927 606,000
    1928 538,000
    1929 458,000
    1930 372,000
    1931 137,000
    1943 89,000
    1944 593,000
    1945 1,012,000
    1946 1,588,000
    1947 309,000
    1949-1972* 3,975,654
    * Used for Bullion/ Jewelery
    There is one ‘Variety’ in the low mintage year of 1943, i.e. 89,000 ct. 1943 dated coins omitted the denomination (50 pesos) and are listed as KM# 482.
    With a low ORIGINAL mintage in 1947 I have never heard of a way you can differentiate between these and the re-stikes of 1949-1972.
    Perhaps some of the other members of this group knows a way.
    I bought my example from a dealer at the Greater Houston Money Show some years back.
    He had a roll of re-strikes and let me pick a specially nice one out for $1100.
    (The pic of the 1929 MS-61 was taken when I sold it and replaced w/ a higher grade) goldex3.JPG gold2.JPG gold1.JPG
    Regards,
    J.T. Parker

midas1, Railguy, Player11 and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

4. J.T. Parker

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I love those coins. I only own a few, but find them extremely pretty, in line with US St Gauden's issues.

Why is it that around the world from 1900 to 1920 there was just an explosion of beautiful coins, and we are stuck today with such craptastic designs?

6. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Lovely collection that's allot of gold!

7. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, Nice Scrap Book.

8. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

man what a awesome set!!

9. J.T. Parker

TKANK YOUSE, to one & all members who commented on my posted thread..
    &
    To Tonybronx: Yep! quite a bit of Au, but I actually prefer the clean look of Ag.
    To Medoraman, I'm in complete agreement about the lack of 'Beauty' & 'Class'
    on our recent U.S. coinage. Even our Silver Eagle bullion $ w/ it's great Adolph Weinman Obverse has that (IMO) butt-ugly eagle reverse.
    There might be a few elegant modern commemorative designs, but they are few & far between. (I do have a Fine Arts degree and taught at both the HMFA, Houston Museum of Fine Art, Glassel school & the HCAM Houston Contemporary Art Museum , therefore I know just enough to be 'dangerous') LOL!
    Cheers,
    J.T.

Railguy and Trish like this.
  10. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

The Mexico 50 peso Centenario gold coin became a movie star in 1950:

Rex Allen was the last of the movie "singing cowboys" who made a number of films in the early 1950's.

His 1950 film "Under Mexicali Stars" was about the smuggling of Mexican 50 peso Centenario gold coins and featured Rex hanging from the bottom of a helicopter.

[​IMG]
    Rex Allen holds a Mexican 50 peso coin for the camera

There is more on my website under "Coins in Movies".

:)

J.T. Parker and Seattlite86 like this.
  11. J.T. Parker

WOW! Willie, what a great post."Coins in the Movies". 2 things I greatly enjoy.
    (Just now getting through binge-watching GoT w/ my sister who is 12 years younger.) Having difficulty keeping mental track of all the warring factions/families.
    Thanks again for your post,
    JT²
    Hoc est, quid sit!

12. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Awesome collection of very beautiful coins. I agree that the modern coins are ugly, and should be changed.

JMGallego likes this.
  13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very nice coins and some helpful information to boot. Thanks for sharing. I'm envious, as my only Mexican gold coin is a 2 Peso. ;)

14. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

Back in the early '60's, US Customs refused me permission to import an AU CC $20 gold piece. Their rule was if Friedberg didn't say it was worth four times melt, import was refused. Ticked me off; but on the other hand, even though their Friedberg gave almost no premium for a CC mint mark on $20's, it was printed before the 1959 20 peso re-strikes. Original mintage of the 1959 was only 13,000, so Friedberg gave it a high value. So I got licenses to import rolls of 20 peso re-strikes at little premium over melt.

15. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sweet collection!! Alas my Mexican gold is limited to the 2 and 2.5 Peso coins.

16. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Mexico's gold coins. I think I read that their current coinage is ugly compared to the time of the Centenario. I loved the collection that was shown to me. Anyone know a dealer that sells them?

17. J.T. Parker

HI Jim,
    J.T. Here,
    I just checked out North Nevada Coin Co. where I bought the majority of my collection.
    They were completely out of these 50 Peso gold Centenarios.
    eBay listed 267 listings, but I'd suggest buying from only certified coins & dealers
    w/ excellent feedback profiles. (I've heard rumors of fakes, both raw & certified, but cannot verify.) Best be safe, than sorry.
    Good luck w/ your collecting, whichever way you go,
    J.T.

18. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

I had a 1931 in NGC 64 sold years ago.

Very Impressive Collection! Beautiful set these coins very scarce, super investment. Very low pop vs USA $20 Saints.

J.T. Parker and Player11 like this.
  19. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Impressive. I am jealous. Where do you buy the plastic sleeves that hold the slabs?

20. J.T. Parker

Hello capthank,
    If you go to eBay and type in the Finders Box: " Leuchtturm 2 PCS sheets ENCAP SLAB" You'll find 3 choices all coming out of Latvia, but Free Ship.
    Good Luck,
    J.T.

21. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted