The Mask of Silenus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Apr 7, 2017.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

This Mask of Silenus type from Macedon's early years as a Roman Protectorate had been on my want list for awhile. I finally managed to score a fairly nice one for a decent price and was really happy when I received it a few days ago.

The glossy, jet black patina didn't make it easy to photograph, but is perfect for the sinister, doom-metal-album-cover-worthy visage of the old satyr Silenus.

Please feel free to share your coins of Silenus or Macedon under the Romans.

Macedon Roman Protectorate - AE Silenus.jpg
    MACEDON (Roman Protectorate)
    AE. 8.61g, 21.1mm. Transitional bronze issue, circa 166-165 BC. SNG Copenhagen 1324-6; BMC 55; HGC 3.1, 1117. O: Facing mask of Silenus, wearing ivy wreath. R: MAKE/DONON, legend in two lines; D above; all within ivy wreath.

Notes: Hugo Gaebler in AMNG III contended that the Latin D on the reverse stands for decreto, a decree by the Roman Senate to recall and restrike an earlier series of coins (the 'Roma/Wreath' series issued with the names of the quaestors Gaius Publilius and Lucius Fulcinnius, which these coins have been found overstruck on). Gaebler dated the issue to 141-140 BC, reading the device of the mask of Silenus to be a pun on the cognomen of D. Junius Silanus Manlianus, the praetor for 141 BC. Pierre MacKay proposes a different dating, instead placing the 'Roma/Wreath' series to 168-167 BC, immediately following the Roman conquest of Macedon. Consequently, he dates this 'Silenus/Wreath' issue to 166-165 BC, after, it is suggested, a recall of the earlier series was necessitated when the Macedonian population took offense to local coins that bore the names of the Roman quaestors and depicted the goddess Roma wearing the helmet of the mythical hero Perseus, the namesake of their recently defeated Antigonid king Perseus. While his chronology is persuasive, MacKay, unfortunately, does not provide a convincing explanation for the choice of the mask of Silenus as the new device. Perhaps how evil and cool it looked was good enough reason?

For a good writeup and example of the earlier Roma/wreath series, see @red_spork's thread here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/another-interesting-bronze-from-roman-macedon.276704/#post-2383420

I initially posted the seller's pics of this coin in an earlier thread, and subsequently @TIF produced an arresting graphic revealing the Man behind the Mask :D. Here it is again for those of you who may have missed it.

Macedon Roman Protectorate - AE SilanusDoug.gif

Ryro, Michael Stolt, PeteB and 28 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I love these creepy coins!

Mine:
    [​IMG]
    MACEDON, under Roman rule
    c. 166-165 BCE
    AE, 20 x 22 mm, 9.5 gm
    Obv: Facing mask of Silenus, wearing ivy wreath
    Rev: MAKE ΔONΩN legend In two lines; D above; all within ivy wreath
    Ref: SNG Copenhagen 1324

A question I meant to ask in another recent thread about a coin featuring a mask: Why mask? Why are these not just heads? In a recent thread showing some Roman Republican coins featuring the "mask" of Pan, the only thing I could figure was that his neck was not engraved. Does that make it a mask rather than a head? Was there some tradition of people wearing masks of Silenus (and Pan) back in the day?

My first Silenus "mask" (and first coin other than some uncleaned dregs) was this Corinth stater. I've always wondered why it is described as a mask rather than facing head:

[​IMG]
    CORINTHIA, Corinth
    345-307 BCE
    AR stater, 8.65 gm
    Obv Pegasus flying left, qoppa below
    Rev: helmeted head of Athena left wearing necklace; mask of Silenus behind
    Ref: Ravel 1046. Calciati 408. Scarce variety.
    from Heritage Auctions, June 2013
    This scarce variety was chosen to represent Corinth staters, #23 in Harlan J. Berk's book, "100 Greatest Ancient Coins".

Here's one that is unquestionably a mask-- it is being worn:

[​IMG]
    IONIA, Phokaia
    EL hekte, 11 mm, 2.5 gm
    c. 478-387BCE
    Obv: head of young male left, wearing Silenos mask on top of head; to right, small seal downward
    Rev: quadripartite incuse square.
    Ref: Bodenstedt Em. 70; SNG von Aulock –; Boston MFA –; BMC 43

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Factor, Ryro, TypeCoin971793 and 23 others like this.
  4. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Terrific examples of masks -- including those I never knew existed! Here's my only coin with a mask, the moneyer Pansa wearing a mask of Pan.
    Pansa.jpg
    ROMAN REPUBLIC
    48 BC, C. Viblius C.f. C.n. Pansa Caetronianus
    AR denarius 3.6 gm - 17.6 mm
    Obv: PANSA behind, mask of Pan right, wearing three rows of berries in hair; pedum (shepherd's staff) behind
    Rev: C. VIBIVS. C F. C. N to right, IOVIS. AXVR to left, Jupiter seated left, holding patera in right hand, scepter in left
    Reference: Crawford 449/1b, SR420

Ryro, Bing, Alegandron and 15 others like this.
  5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I can't help but stay silent at Silenus and admire those examples

Q

Carausius, zumbly and TIF like this.
  6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Love the posts!!! And TIF's cool graphic LOL

I do have this denarius of a 'satyr'....with Apollo:
    Rr denarius censorinus satryr reverse.jpg RR denarius censorinus apollo satyr.jpg

:( I have nothing else to offer...It seems I always come up short when I go after a PAN Silenus type at auction.

Ryro, Bing, John Anthony and 17 others like this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

A kind of underPan, if I may dare :D

Q

8. zumbly

I really have to get one of those fantastic hektes.

I don't know why the convention seems to be to call it a mask, but I think it's even creepier as a mask rather than just a regular head :D.

Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

sweet glossy black patina, and great detials on the facing doug! :D

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, Z-Bro => congrats on scoring one of those amazing coins!! (I love that type)

Ummm, I don't have one of those, but I do have this super cool Silenus-example

=> ya gotta love the Lesbos, eh? (even if they don't love you)

Lesbos Silenos & Rams.jpg

:rolleyes:

=> Silenos rocks!!

... congrats again on a very cool addition

Ryro, Bing, John Anthony and 15 others like this.
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

It's a very neat cool. Nice addition!

gregarious likes this.
  12. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

I'd love that /\ coin just for the obverse!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

13. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Nice write-up and thanks for the shout-out. I'm still on the hunt for the Silenus type but I've got a few quaestorial issues from the previous years:

Gaius Publilius
    SNGCop1320GaiusPublilius.JPG

Lucius Fulcinnius
    RomaeAeternaepic.jpg

There are apparently issues with Roma on the obverse and Amphipolis named within the wreath on the reverse as well which I wasn't aware of until very recently and these aren't discussed in MacKay's paper so I'm not quite sure what to make of them yet other than the fact that there's now yet another series added to the want list.

14. zumbly

Hahaha... thanks! I love that Lesbos coin of yours, too.

15. zumbly

Interesting! I wasn't aware of that either. Any idea of where they fit into the chronology of these issues in the references which include them?

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice Macedonia! @zumbly !

Mine is not creepy...just EEYORE and as another Macedonia Province from the time!

RR Prv Macedon Province 168-166 BC Tamios Quaestor Athena Cow - Eeyore.jpg
    Macedon as Roman Province, District of Bottiaia.
    Gaius Publius Tamios, Quaestor
    AE20, 7.6g, 12h; Macedonian mint, REATTRIBUTED to 168-166 BCE (originally thought c. 148-146 BCE)
    Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right.
    Rev: ΓΑΙΟΥ / ΤΑΜΙΟΥ; Cow standing right; monogram beneath.
    EX: @John Anthony "The Provider"

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  17. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Unfortunately I don't know just yet, they're on my "to research" list though.

zumbly likes this.
  18. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

I must say I am pretty darn excited to be part of the Mask of Silenos club now. Much like TIF I started by searching for a good facing portrait and came across this type, it became an instant must-have.
    This was my first time venturing out into the minefield that is Ebay, but I was able to find this coin in the Agean Numismatics sold archives, putting my mind at ease =)

Ex Agean Numismatics.
    AE21, Macedonia, 142-141 BC (or 167-165 BC?)
    Obverse: Silenos Facing.
    Reverse: MAKE-ΔONΩN inside wreath Δ.
    21 mm / 8,64 g

Silenos Cropped.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Ryro, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  19. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Not a coin, but a related 3-D image: a 2" fragment depicting Silenos. I have no idea what it came from.
    Silenos fragment.jpg

Ryro, Nvb, Johndakerftw and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted