The Mary Anning Collection from the British Royal Mint

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by cplradar, Apr 16, 2021.

1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I was looking over the coins commerating Mary Anning, the break through paelontologist who discoved much of the early sea monsters of the Jurasic period, all but naming the epoc - we are taling in the 1830's, a good 50 years before the Origin of Species. She is deserving of a coin and this one made from the British Royal mint looks like it was designed right out of the British Museum of Natural History. That problem with that is, the British Museum of Natural History are aesthetically clueless. It is a terribly ugly museum and filled to the rafters with bones and fossils stuffed into all corners of the Dinosuar areas. They have an important example of Archeoptrex which is in a nondescript showcase on the second floor. It is bizarre to be so poorly displayed.

I was so not a fan of that museum. I did, however, get lured into buying a couple of these coins. The problem was, that the Royal Mints website made it impossible for me to userstand exactly what I was buying, until it got here. There is essentially a colored coin and an non-colored coin.

Like the new commems from the US Mint, there is more packaging than coins. That makes me think the mint is completely missing the point. But here is a first look of some of what I got.

anning_6.jpg anning_5.jpg anning_4.jpg anning_3.jpg anning_2.jpg anning_1.jpg

William F and Chris B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

4. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Draft saved Draft deleted