The Magnificent Sultani - Striker of the Glitter

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I managed to acquire this as part of an exchange with @Pellinore who was looking to bolster his Sassanian ranks. A wonderful coin, which admittedly was not on the list, but is a welcomed addition to family.

Not long after the conquest of Byzantine Constantinople in 1453 by the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II, the entire face of one of the worlds longest producing mints was changed for ever. Gone are the days of the crude, unsightly coins of busts and figures, began the period of Islam and the adaptation of a text base coin design, which was adopted almost completely though out the Muslim world.
    [​IMG]
    This coin, a gold piece of the Ottoman Empire. This coin was struck by one of the most famous Islamic rulers in human history; Suleyman the Magnificent. This particular coin was minted over a wide geographical area, some in Egypt, some in Syria, and some in the former Byzantine stronghold of Constantinople.

For me the coin is on cusp of what I consider medieval - I might even consider this to be early modern. I thought it would be worth it post it here among the Ancient and Medieval, I am sure you guys will allow such a coin, with the mint of Constantinople it has some street cred.

Taking the throne of the Ottoman Empire in AD 1520, Suleyman set out to expand the Empire in ever direction with little to stand in his way. During his relatively long reign he elevated the Ottomans to a level of grandeur and opulence that had not been seen since the time of Justinian I.

Suleyman would commission some of the greatest building projects like the Süleymaniye Mosque completed in 1558. Pictured here in 1890, and still stands to this day.
    [​IMG]

Suleyman was also an accomplished Poet writing in both Persian and Turkish! He went by nom de plume Muhibbi (The Lover.) Some surviving works include Turkish Proverbs and a chronogram commemorating the year of the death of his young son, titled Peerless among princes, my Sultan Mehmed.

Suleyman shared his empire with several literary greats including Baki and Fazuli, and he also wrote several pieces about his obsession with a Polish slave girl whom he elevated through his harem. One of his most famous versus is about how money and power are not the most important things in life but rather good health.

The people think of wealth and power as the greatest fate,

But in this world a spell of health is the best state.
    What men call sovereignty is a worldly strife and constant war;
    Worship of God is the highest throne, the happiest of all estates

The success of his naval Commander Barbarossa (born on Lesbos in 1474) secured the Ottoman domination of the Mediterranean Sea during the 16th, and art, science, literature, trade and architecture flourished on the dust of the ancient world.

With all the titles he bestowed upon himself on his coins none seem to be at all misleading....dude was for realz, awesome.

[​IMG]

Kostantiniye, (Istambul)
    Ottoman Empire
    Suleyman I (The Magnificent) (r. AD 1520- 1566)
    AV Sultani 20 mm x 3.36 grams Dated ( AH 926 or AD 1520)
    Obverse: Sultan Süleyman Shah bin Sultan Selim Shah, Azze nasruhu, dhuribe fi qustantiniyah , seneh (926)-(Sultan Süleyman Shah son of Sultan Selim Shah, May his Victory be Glorious struck in Constantinople Year (AH 926) )
    Reverse:Reverse : Dharibun-Nadri sahibbul izzi vennasri filberri velbahr-(Striker of the Glittering, Master of Might Victory and of Land and the Sea.)
    Ref: Album -1317

Sultanic.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. smarch

smarch Active Member

Thank you for a most interesting and informing post.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Suleyman the Magnificent was not very magnificent to his family. Yes, he extended the Ottoman Empire, overextended it if you ask me, in as much the way as Justinian overextended the Byzantine Empire and sewed the seeds for decline.

Not content with making the same folly as his predecessor Justinian, Suleyman also murdered the most capable of his sons, thus leaving the Empire in the hands of mediocrity once he died.

But my opinion of him aside, nice coin, and excellent write up.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Ancientnoob likes this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nathan-Duuuuuude! Nice write-up, EXCELLENT Gold-piece! Well done!

Hmmmm...So, I understand his emphasis on "Good Health":

Ancientnoob likes this.
  6. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Nice write up with a very iconic coin !
    I don't go this far Western, so can not add something to match unfortunately.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nice write-up of the historical background on this coin! This type of opportunity to research history is what makes ancient/medieval coin collecting so fun!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice write up and coin swap AN....so what did pellinore get?

here's a related coin...

[​IMG]

Ottoman Empire, Ar akce. Bayezid II, 1481-1512 AD.
    Bursa mint. 11mm, 0.9 g

Sallent, zumbly, panzerman and 3 others like this.
  9. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Lovely coin Noob.
    @Sallent
    True to an extent, but blame Justin II for most of the immediate problems. Even after his screw ups the Empire was doing decently (see Maurice Tiberius's successful counterattack against the Slavs and Avars in the Balkans.) Had Maurice lived it's very likely that he would have driven the lombards out of Italy and perhaps even sent troops to Hispania.
    Though the Empire would have done just fine had Justin II not f$&@(d it up to begin with. Bad enough that he started eating people.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  10. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have tons of Ottoman AV Sultanis....here are two

AV Sultani AH 883 (1479) Sultan Muhammad II Conquerer of Constantinople
    3.53g/23mm. Constantinople Mint
    AV Sultani AH 918 (1514) Sultan Selim I "The Grim"
    3.54g./24mm. Serez Mint (Greece) 662134l.jpg 662203l.jpg

11. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Great write-up, Nathan, about that coin I bought several years ago and treasured a lot, but found it a bit out of my scope as I narrowed down my period to the year 1300 AD. It has found a loving home obviously!

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted