The LIBERYY Cent Enigma

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by paddyman98, Jan 11, 2018.

?

How does the LIBERYY occur?

1. Interesting.. I want to know!

42.3%
  2. Not interesting.. Who cares!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I never noticed.. Thanks 4 the info!

30.8%
  4. I have noticed.. But it's all just PMD

34.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hi all,
    This morning there was once again another Cent with the famous PMD case of the letter T in LIBERTY that looks like a letter Y.
    I agree it is definitely damage. But get this.. It has occurred many times. Over the years I have seen and saved images of different examples of this issue. I consider it, an Enigma..
    Could they all just be a coincidence? Or maybe some individual or individuals with a weird desire to hit the letter T and put these Cents into circulation to be found?
    What are your thoughts?... Or could it be you? o_O

Here are the examples I have seen over the years.
    (I had one once but misplaced it :()
    yy 1955.JPG yy 1969.JPG yy 1972.JPG yy 1976.JPG yy 1977.JPG
    This last one is the worst of the six.. But you can kind of still see it -
    yy 1978.JPG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

There is an old coot that lives in a lean-to in the backwoods of Tennessee that, when he's not shinin', he's doing this to all of his pennies before returning them to circulation.

CygnusCC, Stevearino, Kasia and 9 others like this.
  4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Start a new sub-forum "Enigma Chat".

5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Why doesn't the same happen to the quarter? Or does it and I just haven't seen it? Are all of the other "T"s protected by the rim or some other raised device? Copper is softer?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Barbermania

Barbermania Active Member

7. Barbermania

. Don't you think that's kind of discrimination against the rest of liberty? Shouldn't the rest of the letters in liberty get a chance to double up??

eddiespin and paddyman98 like this.
  8. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

“Y” paddy that’s quite the conspiracy theory you got there. Then again are any of these solid gold and copperplated? Stranger things STILL happen.

9. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Wow, very cool indeed.

Thanks,
    Jacob

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If random hits were involved, why not ever an arrow appearance? , Arms of the "T" bent downward as they are as easy to bend that direction as up to a "Y". Perhaps a coin accepting device or counter that mainly have right handed rotational mechanisms.

11. Barbermania

Very good, I feel ya.

12. Barbermania

Yeah that's it, Enigma, and conspiracy.

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

While most of them appear genuine hits, the 1966 appears photo shopped.
    Look carefully at the cut line above LIBERYY.

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

SO these coins that @paddyman98 posted are Pre-Zinc Lincolns. Copper is the same or just slightly harder than zinc. IF they are done by accidental hits to the T shouldn't there be more of these after the zincolns started with the zinc being softer? Maybe they just fall off the surface, Or maybe they just rot away to never been seen again. :eek:

*coins, Barbermania and paddyman98 like this.
  15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Interesting idea.

Still, I cannot help but to think that an arrow would generally require two well-placed hits whereas the Y would need only one, suggesting the former would be much more common than the latter if indeed caused by unintentional circulation damage.

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Copper is far more malleable than zinc and can be moved around easier. Hardness is different.

17. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmm

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

I think its a person with intention on most but there are some natural hits out there too. It would take a really sharp needle or something to even have a chance at doing it well. Sounds easy until you really look at how tiny the spot is that you would have to hit just right.

19. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

20. MatrixMP-9

Somebody once told me if you had an infinite amount of monkeys with infinite amount of computer parts....one monkey would everntually put the parts together to make a working computer (or something like that). Theres billions of pennies out there so Im starting to think its just chance. I guess one could find just as many "L" or "I" or "the nose" or "the ear" with exact hits. Having said that....have you seen any of those in all your penny finding years?

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. MatrixMP-9

I actually took my little screw driver out when this thread originally posted and tried to see if I could do it....its harder than it seems to pull it off without damaging or leaving a mark on surrounding surfaces. I actually dont think I could do it even if I tried hard. Id have better results in MS Paint...

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted