The latest what the heck auction

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Two collectors fighting over what people think is a common modern coin? It happens a bunch. Good for the seller, but I bet it only happens very rarely. Most of the time I bet one buyer was willing to go to $45 but buys it at $4. I have done that. I put in a bid at a major auction house for $1200 and win the lot for $200.

I do agree there are a lot more scarce modern coins, especially world coins, than people really are aware of. Problem is, when it comes time to sell do you think the buyer will get the same money out of it, or $3.50?

4. Hiddendragon

The thing is coins from British Honduras sell for more than many people would think, but when I say that I mean a coin people might assume is worth 25 cents will actually sell for $4. This is way beyond anything that makes any sense. I can't imagine sitting down and bidding $46 for this unless I literally had more money than I knew what to do with.

5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The first couple years of this series are tough to find in this grade. And often they have surface issues, probably from the hot, humid environment. This is a very nice example, not often seen. Not all that surprised that two people really wanted it.

spirityoda likes this.
  6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Isn't Krause notoriously unreliable when it comes to prices, anyway?

spirityoda likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would agree on grade rarity. supply and demand. someone had to have it no matter the cost. looks like a bidding war.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  8. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I have a '61 UNC; NGC price guide = $3. After reading this, I tempted to post it up for sale.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If I thought I could get that much, I'd sell every foreign coin I've ever found or received in changed up for bid. Don't spread the word, but I'd settle for half. :smuggrin:

10. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Pre 1940's Central, South American and Caribbean coins seem to be in demand these days. I've been checking prices lately and they are up x4 to x10 what they were just five years ago when I purchased the same type of coins in better condition.
    Now it seems that it is spilling over to the 1950's and 1960's issues as well.
    This particular auction seems to be ridiculous though.

11. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Here's a couple of examples:

Jamaica - 1 Penny - 1869
    2005-2013 $7.00 to $10.00
    2015 $13.00 to $25.00
    Jamaica - 1 Penny - 1869.jpg

Jamaica - 1 Penny - 1887
    2005-2013 $3.00 to $7.00
    2015 $12.00 to $30.00
    Jamaica - 1 Penny - 1887.jpg

British Honduras - 5 Cents - 1952
    2005 to 2013 $0.25 to $1.00
    2015 $3.00 to $30.00
    British Honduras - 5 Cents - 1952.JPG

Belize - 5 Cents - 1973
    2005 to 2013 $0.10 to $0.25
    2015 $.075 to $3.00
    Belize - 5 Cents - 1973.JPG

Danish West Indies - 1 Cent - 1913
    2005 to 2013 $5.00 to $8.00
    2015 $12.00 to $25.00
    Danish West Indies - 1 Cent - 1913.jpg

mlov43, paddyman98 and spirityoda like this.
  12. Hiddendragon

Those are a lot of the same coins I've been after myself. I am trying to collect a Jamaican set but the prices are prohibitive. Countries like that and British Honduras I can find cheaply if they are at a local coin shop or an off-brand auction site but on eBay they always go high.

13. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

Stupid people with money who are willing to over pay for things that are little more than common. There probably thousands of collectors holding these coins there collections all over the world. They probably won't let go them because they don't have any ideal that someone is willing to pay anything for them. I even know dealers who hold on to world coins and won't sell them because they don't know enough about them. You keep offering to buy and they just won't let go.

KurtS likes this.
  14. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

A while ago, I spent a month in Belize (the current name for Br. Honduras). None of the coins or paper money I got were worth keeping. I think even that coin that realized $46 shows discoloration from the environment--and possible cleaning. That said, Joe's coins are quite nice! :D

Numismat and sgt23 like this.
  15. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

I'd pay $3 for the 1973 Belize 5 cents; did you look at the reverse closely? IF it's for sale I'll send my $3 check. :)

16. KurtS

What are you seeing?

17. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Kurt, reverse looks like some sort of 'ejection doubling'(?); or maybe 'die polishing'(?); would need to examine in person. Probably nothing but one always looks.

18. KurtS

Yeah--I noticed something odd about the "S" in CENTS, and the beading in the center seems to change shape around the circle. Perhaps it's MD or a doubled die--it's worth a closer look! :)

[​IMG]

19. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

That's good to know.

I got this one for about 16 cents from my LCS 'junk' foreign bin:

1930 Nicaragua 5 Centavos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wondering about it's potential 'value'. It's in decent circulated condition, but I have no idea about demand and survival rates.

jlblonde likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted