The Latest Greatest Storage Holder Info

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Clint, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Clint

Clint Member

...is what I'm hoping you will share in this thread! I'm getting to the point I need to transition everything too nice for Saflips, and not dear enough for TPG slabbing. I've read numerous threads, but wanted to be sure before I back up the truck on storage stuff.

1. Archival. Doesn't need to be 100% airtite, so slabs, air-tites, etc. are all O.K. with me. Cardboard, staples, PVC, etc. are NOT. Smashing coins into plastic to get 'em in--and the associated difficulty ever getting them out without similar damage--is OUT.

2. Standard external diameter. This would be great: I'd like to buy one album page and insert various types. (I think this counts out Air-tites.)

3. Speaking of album pages, I'd like them to fit standard 3-ring binders.

4. Non-rotational. I don't want coins spinning in their...umm...vaults.

5. Edge viewing. Not a requirement, but that potential makes the Coinedge from Coin World appealing.

6. Not exhorbitant price. I'm looking at a maximum of $1 each. So that's the Intercept option.

7. Quadrum? This holder from Lighthouse is the third on my short list.

Any others I'm missing which fit my criteria? Oh, and do you recommend a quick acetone rinse and dry during the transition? I never did that with several of my coins, and some have a tiny bit of fingerprint or other dirtiness. Many will be leaving their 2x2 cardboard torture chambers for good. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

There are pages for air-tites and coinedge holders but those require you to buy special pages.
    If you use the air-tites with the black ring inside the coins won't spin.
    And from the holders you listed air-tites, intercept shield and coinedge all comes out to less than a dollar each.

4. Clint

Clint Member

Hmmm, these say coinedge pages are 3-ring! http://www.coinedge.com/showmea.htm
    I've read someone concerned about the "velvet-like" finish on the pages, however.

My main concern with both Coinedge and Lighthouse Quadrums is that they are new and thus relatively unproven compared to IS.

5. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I'm trying Coinedge products right now. The holders are fine and they make the coin shinier than they really are. The pages are a different story, the plastic feels flimsy and its covered by velvet. It doesn't look or feel good.
    I can't say anything about Quadrams or IS since I never used them. But last time I checked they were saying they had production problems with the IS and a lot of the coins in the holders were toning.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice, first time I ever seen this coinedge. Shame it isnt available for ancients & a ability to add 2x2 flip info cards. Im sick of using sa-flips. Slit my index finder on one today putting a new ancient in >(

7. Clint

Clint Member

That's wild to hear about toning with IS. I'd only read positive so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted